Bulk Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazz20

Reaction score
Hey all, gonna try to bulk prime for the first time i think i've got it under control. Was just wondering what is the best sugar to use? Been using carb drops till now.
Any tips or tricks would be awesome.
Cheers,

Hazz

Raw or white sugar are popular, so is dextrose and even dried malt extract. There's no "best" sugar really, usually what ever is handy.

Here's a helpful calculator. Have to change just about every drop down with metric units but still works fine and has a useful guide for CO2 volumes.

Whaatever you like. If you've been using carb drops and getting good results then either dextrose or sucrose will do as carb drops are usually a mixture of the two. Dextrose requires a slightly larger amount. Calculating the right amount for they style/desired level and adding it in properly are more imporatant tahn whether you use one or the other.

If you decide to go for another priming sugar, just be sure to adjust your amounts accordingly.

Haaz

I've been bulk priming for sometime now and I don't put much thought into it. I just put about 170 grams of dex in a jug pour in some boiling water from the kettle say half a litre and stir. This then is poured into a plastic jerry (water). I slip a hose between the taps of the fermenter and jerry open both. I tilt the jerry a bit till the inflow is above the tap to stop splashing.

Bottle away

Hope that helps

Cheers

Haaz

I've been bulk priming for sometime now and I don't put much thought into it. I just put about 170 grams of dex in a jug pour in some boiling water from the kettle say half a litre and stir. This then is poured into a plastic jerry (water). I slip a hose between the taps of the fermenter and jerry open both. I tilt the jerry a bit till the inflow is above the tap to stop splashing.

Bottle away

Hope that helps

Cheers

Yep. 170gm for me as well. Slightly less for a heavy ale and more for a pils, say 5gm. that it! I use Dex as well. Never had a carb problem.

I brew too many different styles to stick with just one standard amount for bulk priming. Part of the appeal of bulk priming is that I can alter the level of fizz to suit both my tastes and the style.

definately with manticle on this. using one generic amount to carbonate all styles doesnt seem right. the difference for style can vary (in terms of CO2) from 1.5 - 2 (for british ales) to 3 to even 4 for wheat beers. i dont think varying the amount of sugar by 5 grams either way would really be enough to represent whatever style you are making.

Latest posts

Back