Bulk Priming Calculator - I Have One Just Need Opinions On Accuracy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juzz

Reaction score
I attempted to bulk prime my last batch but failed miserably, and ruined a beer I was looking forward to sampling! So I have decided to scour the net and attempt to put together an accurate calculator. I have got as much info off this site as I could find plus a myriad of other sites and came up with the attached spreadsheet.

There are 2 calculations, one for volume of CO2 and one for grams/l. I have compared the calculations against a couple of web based calculators and the results are within a gram or 2 of each other. If anybody can be bothered looking at my calculations for accuracy then that would be great.

The results for glucose are 15% greater than sucrose - if this is the incorrect % increase then the correct % would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when attempting to bulk prime a new style would it be recommended to select a median desired carbonation value?

eg. European Lager 2.2-2.7, so set desired carb value to 2.45

If there is an existing accratue excel based calc floating about that i couldnt find then i would love to see it

Cheers

Justin

Have you tried any of the brewing software such as Beersmith or ProMash? Not sure if you need an excel spreadsheet for some special reason, but they have pretty good carbonation calculators in them.

That said, there's nothing quite like making your own spreadsheet for getting a really good understanding of a concept. You don't fully understand a formula until you've researched it. I personally can't verify your formula, sorry, as I'm lazy, and always use a brewing calculator :).

It is quite possible that your priming rate wasnt the problem. You may have experienced a problem elsewhere in the process. Was it over or under carbonated?

What was the brew and what was the FG? If the brew hadn't finished you may get overcarbonation and even bottle bombs.

What was your fermentation regime? Did you cold condition, prime, then bottle cold? That can cause overcarbonation too.

Mark - Thats it, I want to understand the concept and creating the formula is helping with that. - I dont have/use Beersmith or ProMash.

Adam - It was under carbonated, FG of 1008, James Squire Pale Ale Clone - 2 X East India Pale Ale cans, vol 20l, 22 deg. used 100g dextrose (I used the simple guide to priming from oz.craftbrewer.org, rate of 5 g/l) - prob needed about 145g looking retrospectively, knowing the calculations better now

I am trying to avoid similar disasters :D

Latest posts

Back