Bulk Liquid Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
It seems Coopers do a 28kg bucket of Liquid Malt Extract...

trouble is, i don't have fridge space to store it, will it store ok in a 'cool' spot like a cellar? it's essentially sugar so I can't see what could go off?

opinions?

Biggest problem would be oxidation. If you kept it cool and under a layer of CO2 whenever you drained some out, it might last a bit.

What's a 28kg bucket of liquid malt worth?

Go AG and you won't have this problem :ph34r:

Biggest problem would be oxidation. If you kept it cool and under a layer of CO2 whenever you drained some out, it might last a bit.

Liquid Malt is too dense to oxidise.

If stored outside with no lid, a hard skin will form on the top, but underneath would be contamination free.

Bottom line is, it does not need refrigeration ... a layer of alcohol on the top between uses will stop any mold growing on the surface.

Don't they usually come with a honey gate or some such doodad? Or at least a tap hole in the tin to fit one?

I didnt think Jovial Monk was in business anymore?
yeah, hard to tell from their website...

wrong side of town for me anyways. Coopers suggested if i'm keen i could see if Amanda at Beerbelly would order one in for me.

was just trying to see if it's worth it. buying in bulk doesn't save anything if it spoils before you use it.

yeah, hard to tell from their website...

wrong side of town for me anyways. Coopers suggested if i'm keen i could see if Amanda at Beerbelly would order one in for me.

was just trying to see if it's worth it. buying in bulk doesn't save anything if it spoils before you use it.

Got any U-Brew-it places nearby? I reckon you could negotiate with them and probably pay less than the $12-$13 a tin it costs from a HBS. They have massive drums of coopers malt onsite. usually L,D and Amber aswell.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
D80

If you are interested Briess Liquid Extracts are available in 15kg 'Growlers'. More of a 10L Cube actually.
Same varieties available as their 1.5kg tubs listed on my site HERE and HERE
Normal Retail for $85 each. Discount available for multiples and Free Adelaide Delivery on Friday afternoons.

The Monk has been closed up for a couple of years already.

Cheers
Nige

Got any U-Brew-it places nearby? I reckon you could negotiate with them and probably pay less than the $12-$13 a tin it costs from a HBS. They have massive drums of coopers malt onsite. usually L,D and Amber aswell.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
D80

hehe, this is exactly what got me thinking about bulk.. went to a ubrewit with a mate the other day. i'm going to do a brew there with said mate so i'll have to suss them out

If you are interested Briess Liquid Extracts are available in 15kg 'Growlers'. More of a 10L Cube actually.
Same varieties available as their 1.5kg tubs listed on my site HERE and HERE
Normal Retail for $85 each. Discount available for multiples and Free Adelaide Delivery on Friday afternoons.

The Monk has been closed up for a couple of years already.

Cheers
Nige

hmm Nige looks like a very good option. I'm assuming you don't stock them on hand.

what sort of lead time and deposit do you need?

which of their 3 'light' malts is closest to coopers light malt? Dark and amber are very tempting too.

cheers

hehe, this is exactly what got me thinking about bulk.. went to a ubrewit with a mate the other day. i'm going to do a brew there with said mate so i'll have to suss them out

hmm Nige looks like a very good option. I'm assuming you don't stock them on hand.

what sort of lead time and deposit do you need?

which of their 3 'light' malts is closest to coopers light malt? Dark and amber are very tempting too.

cheers
The Pilsen Light will give about 5EBC at 1.040sg so pretty close to Coopers Light which is around 5.3EBC.
Only recently become available so haven't stocked them previously but looking to do so in the future.
Going through plenty of the Munich in the smaller size.
Will be putting an order in on Tuesday, happy to get some in if specifically for you if you're interested.
PM me with what you are after and I'll firm up the price.
Cheers
Nige

Latest posts

Back