Bulk Buy - Erlenmeyer Flasks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
500ml (Total 4)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
2 - Kram (Pending)

1L (Total 4)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
2 - Kram (Pending)

2L (Total 11)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
1 - Sully
2 - Kram (Pending)
4 - Dicko ACT
1 - BribieG
1 - Homebrewer79

Prolly a silly question, how are we going to organise payment?

On the other hand the Propagator, as its name suggests, needs to be PROPAGATED by turning it into a starter and breeding up to the required cell count. As a result of this it is cheaper, but not available in Oz unless other suppliers are stocking it

There are a number of places that stock the propagator packs in Oz, we keep the whole range at the shop, and I know of at least one other place on Adelaide that supplies them as well. :)

I have always used a 2lt for my lagers and pilsners,I find it adequate.

Batz

I'm sure that you (And probably others?) manage with a 2 litre Erlenmeyer Batz :) but as I build up my lager yeasts to 2 litres minium I find run out of room in a 2 litre flask.
It's all about the cell count. Also, some yeasts are more active than others as I'm sure you agree?

If you blokes plan to do an Erlenmeyer bulk buy you might as well do a stir bar bulk buy at the same time as well?

TP :beer:

Will 2L flasks provide enough room for a Wyeast starter? Is it better to go for a 3L flask? I will be using a stir-plate as well.

I currently use a t 2ltr pyrex conical for propigating and pitching into 38ltrs. No problems. Mind you, although I do have a stir plate I don't use it. I just let it sit and the yeast does its own thing. BTW 99% of my wyeast I buy is the smaller propagator pack. Can be a lot cheaper than buying the larger activator. But I suppose its really an individual preference.

BYB

500ml (Total 4)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
2 - Kram (Pending)

1L (Total 4)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
2 - Kram (Pending)

2L (Total 12)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
1 - Sully
2 - Kram (Pending)
4 - Dicko ACT
1 - BribieG
1 - Homebrewer79
1 - Citymorgue2

I'd be interested in 3L flasks if thery can be sourced.

HB79 - where are you in melb? we could split shipment

500ml (Total 4)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
2 - Kram (Pending)

1L (Total 4)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
2 - Kram (Pending)

2L (Total 14)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
1 - Sully
2 - Kram (Pending)
4 - Dicko ACT
1 - BribieG
1 - Homebrewer79
1 - Citymorgue2
2 - Lachlan

Polyclar (One hour on the stir plate).

But polyclar doesn't dissolve. Why not just add water and chuck it in (or do what I do and simply throw a tablespoon full into the keg and then invert three times)

cheers

Darren

500ml (Total 5)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
2 - Kram (Pending)
1 - Hutch - Melbourne

1L (Total 4)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
2 - Kram (Pending)

2L (Total 15)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
1 - Sully
2 - Kram (Pending)
4 - Dicko ACT
1 - BribieG
1 - Homebrewer79
1 - Citymorgue2
2 - Lachlan
1 - Hutch - Melbourne

... Cheers Smurf for taking this one on.
Would also be keen to add stir-bars to this list (though there is quite a bit of variety in that department).
Hutch.

500ml (Total 5)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
2 - Kram (Pending)
1 - Hutch - Melbourne

1L (Total 4)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
2 - Kram (Pending)

2L (Total 15)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
1 - Sully
2 - Kram (Pending)
4 - Dicko ACT
1 - BribieG
1 - Homebrewer79
1 - Citymorgue2
2 - Lachlan
1 - Hutch - Melbourne
2 - Bizier - Sydney

ED: Cheers, good idea.

500ml (Total 6)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
2 - Kram (Pending)
1 - Hutch - Melbourne
1 - Dunno

1L (Total 5)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
2 - Kram (Pending)
1 - Dunno

2L (Total 19)
2 - Cannibal Smurf
1 - Sully
2 - Kram (Pending)
4 - Dicko ACT
1 - BribieG
1 - Homebrewer79
1 - Citymorgue2
2 - Lachlan
1 - Hutch - Melbourne
2 - Bizier - Sydney
2 - Dunno

Cheers,

Well, after reading posts about flat vs concave base I called the supplier again and unfortunately the flasks do have a slightly concave base.

I'll contact a couple of other suppliers and see if I can source some flat bottom flasks for the same prices. So keep the orders coming on the chance that I can get flat bottoms. Hopefully they'll also have 3litre flasks so I can add them to the buy.

But polyclar doesn't dissolve. Why not just add water and chuck it in (or do what I do and simply throw a tablespoon full into the keg and then invert three times)

cheers

Darren

Because those are the Polyclar instructions Darren & I like to think that the makers of Polyclar know their product. Besides, I add it to the fermenter & would hesitate to invert the fermenter three times. :p

I'm sure that you (And probably others?) manage with a 2 litre Erlenmeyer Batz :) but as I build up my lager yeasts to 2 litres minium I find run out of room in a 2 litre flask.
It's all about the cell count. Also, some yeasts are more active than others as I'm sure you agree?

If you blokes plan to do an Erlenmeyer bulk buy you might as well do a stir bar bulk buy at the same time as well?

:icon_offtopic:

I suppose it's OK of topic a bit Pete,while they look into other suppliers.

I use a 2lt Erlenmeyer,I build up often and allow to settle before I do this.This way I pour off all the liquid from the top.it's really only beer.This way I have perhaps 30-40 mm of yeast slurry in the bottom of the flask for pitching,a huge cell count by anyones measures.
I have never had an over active lager yeast,if you do I suggest you have it way to warm.

Batz

I am really only interested in a flat bottom flask if it affects stirplate use. If 3L is available, I will change my 2 x 2L to: 1 or 2 x 3L depending on price.

:icon_offtopic:

I suppose it's OK of topic a bit Pete,while they look into other suppliers.

I use a 2lt Erlenmeyer,I build up often and allow to settle before I do this.This way I pour off all the liquid from the top.it's really only beer.This way I have perhaps 30-40 mm of yeast slurry in the bottom of the flask for pitching,a huge cell count by anyones measures.
I have never had an over active lager yeast,if you do I suggest you have it way to warm.

Batz

More :icon_offtopic:

Batz,
Each to his own. :)
Never considered getting rid of the old wort & refilling with fresh in the 2 litre. Must have a go at it soon. I only boil up around 2.5 litres max for lagers which is the maxium excess wort I get from a brewday. How much wort do you boil up to get 30-40mm of yeast slurry? As you say, that is a bucket load of yeast.
I ferment my starters on the work bench (You know where) as I am unable to fit my stir plate in the fermentation fridge due to the fact that it is 240 volt & I hesitate to risk stuffing up the door seals of the fermentation fridge. Have you got a method of doing this as your stir plate is also 240 volt?
My aggressive yeasts are mainly ales such as Ian Watson's 3738.
Here is a pic of my lolly jar in action.
attachment=23369:Starter_on_the_Way.JPG

Starter_on_the_Way.JPG

Well, after reading posts about flat vs concave base I called the supplier again and unfortunately the flasks do have a slightly concave base.

I'll contact a couple of other suppliers and see if I can source some flat bottom flasks for the same prices. So keep the orders coming on the chance that I can get flat bottoms. Hopefully they'll also have 3litre flasks so I can add them to the buy.

Slightly concave is OK. We got some that are very concave. These are the problem ones.
But of course the supplier won't be picking and choosing for you.
A different supplier is the way to go, and maybe have them send you a sample?
That way you have a standard to reject bad ones against since you will have made an issue of it up front with them.
Cheers,
Bud

I am really only interested in a flat bottom flask if it affects stirplate use. If 3L is available, I will change my 2 x 2L to: 1 or 2 x 3L depending on price.

Flat bottom is a must IMO.

A curved base with affect the stir bar and may actually result in it flying thru your precious flask particularly if you have it spinning too fast - more of an issue for those of us with commercial stir plates. Seen it happen to many times with new students in the lab. Result - i laugh, they clean up the mess. But they learn a valuable lesson. :D

I could go a 3lt depending on price

Batz

Back