Building a Semi Cpbf

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drilled two holes in what?

All I can think is that the SS tube goes inside the straight through adapter? Must just happen to be a nice fit?

All I had to do was drill the straight adaptor out by a fraction on the threaded side (not all the way through, that would ruin the push fitting side) and the S/S tube fit very tightly inside. A grommet was cut in half and put on the threaded side of the fitting and then the fitting srewed into the bottle cap (screws in tight), I'm still looking for a nut to put on the end of the threaded fitting but it's very tight.

I tested it overnight with 80kpa of pressure and it held well and didn't leak.

Andrew

All I had to do was drill the straight adaptor out by a fraction on the threaded side (not all the way through, that would ruin the push fitting side) and the S/S tube fit very tightly inside. A grommet was cut in half and put on the threaded side of the fitting and then the fitting srewed into the bottle cap (screws in tight), I'm still looking for a nut to put on the end of the threaded fitting but it's very tight.

Andrew

Bump!
Looks like a job well done Andrew? :icon_cheers:
Starting to get the gear together to build one of these.
I presume the bottles hold carbonation indefinitely?

Mark^*******,

Drilled two holes in what?

I should have said counter-bored NOT "Two seperate holes" as I stated in post 18. Bad choice of words. :(

TP

hadn't seen this until now, nice job, did you fill the CDA clone botts with this Andrew ?

cheers
Yard

Sorry guys, this one keeps slipping under the radar.

Yardy the CDA and the CSA and the English pale were all filled using the CPBF. It works really well.

Pete I had a bottle of Pilsner that I tested this on and after 3 weeks it was still carbed well.

As Jye said filling at a higher pressure works best with no foam or carbonation loss to speak of.

Andrew

Does anyone know where i can get the 8mm beer/gas control valve. Andale dont stock them and it doesnt look like beerbelly has them.
Cheers

Does anyone know where i can get the 8mm beer/gas control valve. Andale dont stock them and it doesnt look like beerbelly has them.
Cheers

Craftbrewer has them.

Andrew

I've been wanting to get a Counter pressure bottle filler for some time, mainly to bottle competition entries and the odd beer for friends. Reports from people who have spent quite a few dollars on commercially available ones have ranged from ok to waste of money, and a lot reported they were hard to use.
Being a tight wad I had a serious look around at parts to make one myself, I wanted it to be easy to clean, dismantle and simple to use with the minimum amount of handles to turn.

The best design I could find for what I wanted was from Langborough Brewery (thanks guys), it's simple and easy to use although I wasn't sure how easy to clean it would be, the same for dismantling.
Then I had a brain fart, surely John Guest had some fittings that would work, and here it is, $59.00:

View attachment 25856View attachment 25857

It can be completely pulled apart for cleaning and parts are cheap enough to replace if need be.
This is the version for glass bottles and the bung can be replaced by a PET cap for the PET bottles.

Gas in through one side, bleed air out of bottle, seal and pressure up, turn off gas in and turn on beer in. Bleed pressure from the bottle slowly by shifting the bung or unscrewing the cap slightly and the bottle slowly fills. cap as normal.

I'll be testing the unit over the next couple of days.

Andrew

Apologies if anyone has gone this route before and I haven't seen it.

Hello,

Nice looking unit

Are you still using this design? How does it go bleeding the pressure from the bung.

Am trying to rig one up as simply as possible

This one looks pretty straight forward

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/uplo...-1060644750.jpg

The air needle I have is too short to go through the bung, plus not sure how easy it is to join the needle to tyre valve.

Your design is probably easier to manage.

Cheers

Dave

Nice design Andrew. How does it go filling glass bottles? What did you use for the bung for filling glass bottles?

A grommet was cut in half and put on the threaded side of the fitting and then the fitting srewed into the bottle cap (screws in tight), I'm still looking for a nut to put on the end of the threaded fitting but it's very tight.

Andrew

I would like to make one of these but not sure what you meant by this Andrew? Doesnt the black rubber grommet just slide over the thread on the straight fitting and then sit on top of the PET cap?

Sorry guys, only just saw your posts.

David72, I haven't used a CPBF for a long time as I don't bottle at all anymore. The design worked very well although I would probably save the hassle and just buy a unit now given the price of the fittings and the drop in price of the stainless CPBF.

Truman,
The rubber grommet is actually just an O ring now, it slides over the thread on the adaptor and then the adaptor is screwed into the hole in the bottle cap, the whole is small enough for a tight fit for the adaptor. I never found a nut for the thread on the adaptor but in all the fills I did it never leaked even under pressure.

Andrew

Latest posts

Back