Building A Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finite

All Grain Gremlin
Reaction score
Guys I cant take my brewery for its maiden run with a plastic mash paddle.

Ive got some lengths of 1/2" X 1/2" hardwood (teak) that dad and I used to repair the marlin board on our boat. I asked if I could have it and I can. :p

teak.jpg

So does anyone have any plans or articles about making a mash paddle like this? Its not cut out of a block like some it would be like this only with square edges. What do you sudgest to use to hold it together? What type of glue etc?

Any pics or info from people who have done it before would be great.

Cheers,
Blake

Edit: I cant spell

Guys I cant take my brewery for its maiden run with a plastic mash paddle.

Ive got some lengths of 1/2" X 1/2" hardwood (teak) that dad and I used to repair the marlin board on our boat. I asked if I could have it and I can. :p

View attachment 11080

So does anyone have any plans or articles about making a mash paddle like this? Its not cut out of a block like some it would be like this only with square edges. What do you sudgest to use to hold it together? What type of glue etc?

Any pics or info from people who have done it before would be great.

Cheers,
Blake

Edit: I cant spell

Have made a couple, you should be able to make something traditional with that teak and some dowel. Drill holes for the cross rails in the mast, evenly spaced and horizontal. Centre and glue them into the mast. Angle the outriggers a little and mark the angle on the cross rails and cut them off on the angle. Mark the location of the holes in the outriggers, then drill holes for the cross rail dowels on the angle into the outriggers (half way through). Push on and glue. Cut a short length for the handle and mark the centre, drill halfway, fit and glue the handle and your done.

Like this one made of Tas Oak: MyTraditionalMashPaddleSmall1.JPG

Blake,

you could easily make something similar to screwtops but without the angles (to simplify things slightly) using the nice timber you have. Easy enough to cut lap (a.k.a. halving) joints instead of using dowell. My only concern would be the glue used. Normal Aquadhere (PVA) will be no good as it is not only water soluble but soluble by acids eg wort. Araldite softens with heat so that'd also be out. I'd have a look for a good epoxy or maybe the Aquadhere durabond (info here) It is 100% water proof; Acid & chemical Resistant; Heat resistant up to 140 deg & Non-Toxic (once fully cured)

Beers
Crozdog

Heya,

good luck, there quite fun / rewarding to make!

mine is moddled on the 'borrat paddle'

rob.

Stand_side.JPG

what it is with people and their mash paddle? I can only assume all this DIY design work is not for practical reasons but for some sort of romantic folk lore reasons? I just use a $3 SS kitchen utensil from woolies. it's like one of those things that the chefs on tv use to strain veges, like a little tennis racquet.

I was thinking the same thing reading that, concerns about the glue that is.

I still have & use my spoon that came with my coopers kit 3+ years ago for my ag brewing. I think if or should I say when it finally gives up id be looking in the cooking section of bigW or suitably cheap shop for a ss spoon.

But im a tightass afterall. :lol:

what it is with people and their mash paddle? I can only assume all this DIY design work is not for practical reasons but for some sort of romantic folk lore reasons? I just use a $3 SS kitchen utensil from woolies. it's like one of those things that the chefs on tv use to strain veges, like a little tennis racquet.

id say its a "traditional" thing mate im kinda with you on it , but having said that id like to make one , perhaps out of stainless steel though....

For those in Sydney wanting to skip the DIY part of getting a mash paddle, there's always the Hospitality store. It's on the Parramatta Road in Camperdown. They have steel or wooden paddles. I got a 750mm one for under $10. It's a hefty bit of wood. Drill some holes and away you go.

(Also useful for non-AG brewers with children. :lol: )

For those in Sydney wanting to skip the DIY part of getting a mash paddle, there's always the Hospitality store. It's on the Parramatta Road in Camperdown. They have steel or wooden paddles. I got a 750mm one for under $10. It's a hefty bit of wood. Drill some holes and away you go.

(Also useful for non-AG brewers with children. :lol: )

You mean like this? <_<

But made of Teak, that would be "A1" Or you ex pussers 'BZ' [don't ask, too hard to explain] ;)

About time I got myself a paddle, I have been using my coopers spoon for the last few years and while it has been going great guns the last brew I did (more grains) it struggled under the pressure...

You mean like this? <_<

But made of Teak, that would be "A1" Or you ex pussers 'BZ' [don't ask, too hard to explain] ;)

Just like that one. You can see it (sort of) in my avatar, getting started on stirring in 42kg of grain. :D

A few reasons:

1. My current plastic mash paddle is too short and flexes when I mix which makes it difficault to stir, so their is a practical reason for it.
2. I love building and making things which are practical and I can use
3. I have the wood left over in the garage.
4. Absolutley there is a traditional folk lore feeling using a big wooden paddle

All the bigW spoons ive seen are short and wont reach the bottom of a thick mash in a 50L keg. With a bit of effort and about $5 I will have a nice big, chunky, strong cool teak mash paddle.

Cheers,

Blake

P.S: whats A1 or BZ mean?

A few reasons:

1. My current plastic mash paddle is too short and flexes when I mix which makes it difficault to stir, so their is a practical reason for it.
2. I love building and making things which are practical and I can use
3. I have the wood left over in the garage.
4. Absolutley there is a traditional folk lore feeling using a big wooden paddle

All the bigW spoons ive seen are short and wont reach the bottom of a thick mash in a 50L keg. With a bit of effort and about $5 I will have a nice big, chunky, strong cool teak mash paddle.
Cheers,

Blake

P.S: whats A1 or BZ mean?

With ya Blake! Borret made me a beautiful mash paddle that is one of my favourite brewing possessions. Love using it - I used it tonight as it happens :D It is better than our paddle at work in terms of design... and it looks a lot cooler! Whatever works for the individual, but I'm very attached to my Borretpaddle ;)

Shawn.

i used to use a bit of 3/8 curton rod but it didnt work very well.

So i made a nice 316 stainless one that is tops.

cheers

Back