Building A Font

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayzi

Reaction score
hi all,
I'm currently building a font (photo's to come), similar to a 'soccer goal' or 'goal post' font. Building it out of 90mm RHS. The top is 1200 long and its 290mm high. If I have 120mm distance between tap centres I can put 9 taps on. :beerbang: Just wondering what is 'standard' with distances between taps? Do you think this will give me enough room? Do you think I'm insane as I don't even have a keg setup yet? :blink: In relation to the last point I figure that if I build this I have something to inspire to, It will also fill out my 2800mm x 900mm bar top a bit.

Can't wait to see how it all comes along.

No you're not crazy Mayzi. One day I'll build a bar. Prob wait till we upsize on the house. Building a font could be half the fun.

When considering the gap between taps, best to get the post, and line up the taps to see if they look good. Also make sure that you will be able to comfortably fit the glasses under the taps- 120mm isn't a huge amount of space; but then again I use 1L glasses :ph34r:

When considering the gap between taps, best to get the post, and line up the taps to see if they look good. Also make sure that you will be able to comfortably fit the glasses under the taps- 120mm isn't a huge amount of space; but then again I use 1L glasses :ph34r:

Thanks, posts and taps etc still to come. just making up the body of it at the moment and just pondering over how many taps i can get on it in the end. Looking at 120mm between taps - will have about 200mm under the tap, so should get a jug in under it!, just thinking whether or not that will give me enough room to pull beers without other taps getting in the way. I have to agree though, i don't think I'll be drilling until I get some taps and have a look to see what it will turn out like.

cheers

My 10 taps are centered at only 100ml - more than adequate :)

taps_final.JPG

cheers Ross

Now thats a thing of beauty! whats the measurement along the top?

distance between the 2 centres is 1200mm. 100mm between taps & 150mm in from post centre.

++++

Kirem,

Drinking them is the easy part :chug: - Finding the time to brew 2 kegs a week to keep 'em full is the difficult part...

cheers Ross

what a roo bar ross :D
wheres the rod holders shoo roos and spoties :D

now that is the worlds 8th wonder withall that s/s it would be visable from space i recon.

tc

distance between the 2 centres is 1200mm. 100mm between taps & 150mm in front post centre.

++++

Kirem,

Drinking them is the easy part :chug: - Finding the time to brew 2 kegs a week to keep 'em full is the difficult part...

cheers Ross

ummmmm :blink: 1200 between the 2 centres? is that the overall length of the font Ross or is it meant to be 120mm between the centres of the taps and 100mm actual distance between them? :( what is the overall lenght actually? mine is just under 1200mm, was meant to be 1200 but then I should have actually made sure my original cuts were 45's not 43's......

ummmmm :blink: 1200 between the 2 centres? is that the overall length of the font Ross or is it meant to be 120mm between the centres of the taps and 100mm actual distance between them? :( what is the overall lenght actually? mine is just under 1200mm, was meant to be 1200 but then I should have actually made sure my original cuts were 45's not 43's......

From the centre of one upright to the other is 1200 mm - The tube is 75mm, so the total length is 1275mm.

cheers Ross

As promised here are a few photo's of the current project. I had a read of the obsession thread and wondered if envisiging this font when looking at a metal off cut from a job meets the criteria of being obssesed.

The frame welded up. 90mm galvinsed RHS. 1200mm across the top, 290mm high.
PICT0333.JPG

a look at its feet. Some old 20x5mm bar tacked on as anchors
PICT0335.JPG

A slot cut in to easily run and access the lines and copper for flooding. This will actually be the side facing out from the bar. Its had a bit of a polish at this point too.
PICT0342.JPG

Some wood......
PICT0345.JPG

The same wood milled down and in place as an access plate. The font sitting in place where it will one day be plumbed in.
PICT0346.JPG

The 'working side' of the bar....well one day anyway. still to collect/machine posts, taps etc.
PICT0349.JPG

Well still has a fair way to go but starting to look like something now. not sure if to chrome/brass plate or highly polish and lacquer (the cheap option but would probably suit my bar, plus easy to redo). Have to mill up some feet to cover the flat metal bar that will anchor it all in. Just have to find the time and then buy some kegs!

edit: should fit about nine or- ten taps, might take a year or two to get them running i think!!!

has anyone turned out posts to screw tap adaptors into, such as the fatlock adaptors Ross has on his site? Just wondering the post diameter and the internal thread needed to do fit these? My belief is they are just short piece of pipe with an internal thread which the adaptors then screw into and the lines hook up to the adaptor. Any advice?

Also Batz, Ross and anyone else who has the decals on their taps. What is the internal diameter of the clamp (which I'm thinking should be the same as the post) and the clearance from the top of the clamp to the bottom of the decal? just wondering how high I need to set the posts so that if I put them on they can be seen..... might have to skip down to the local and see if i can borrow one to measure up.

and here I was at the start thinking that I was just going to get some fridge mounting taps with short shanks, drill the font and clamp them in..... this is slowly getting bigger than ben hur.

Any other thoughts on attaching taps?

Looking good Mayzi.
I'm good with the Speights bar towel, but Lion Red ???

Beers,
Doc

Looking good Mayzi.
I'm good with the Speights bar towel, but Lion Red ???

Beers,
Doc

:eek: I know.... just a momento from a Lion Nathan tour, nothing to panic about!

should be able to fit the whole town of tullibigeal around the bar mayzi :chug:

Back