Bugger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajmuzza

Reaction score
Just finished a brew. Was expecting 1.053 end up with 1.044. In a 40IBU beer, jees that disappointing. What a waste.

I am absolutely fucked if I know what happened. I mean 75 minute mash at 66 or thereabouts (digital thermometer shit itself somewhere along the line had to check the strike with my stc) and even mashed out to 75 degrees.

Only thing i did different was that the grains I used had been cracked and stored for about 3 weeks. Tell me this doesn't make any difference. All I'm after is consistency and I'm going backwards.

I've only just cracked a beer. Maybe that's the problem.

Faark.

I remember once being told by G&G to use crushed grains within a few days, a week at the most. Since everything else is the same, could be the problem. Have you used the same grains before, same amount? Did you add sugar or DME to fix.

Where do you live ajmuzza?

Maybe someone local could give you a hand and some advice on improving your efficiency?

Now there's thought - adding DME or sugar. Nope. Didn't have any and I knew I was buggered when I took my pre-boil gravity.

PeteQ said:
Where do you live ajmuzza?

Maybe someone local could give you a hand and some advice on improving your efficiency?
Lower north shore mate. Near Crows Nest.

I think the issue about using crushed grain quickly is about oxidation, which i imagine would mean your beer may taste stale prematurely. I doubt very much that it would affect efficiency.

Got some grain I cracked a few weeks ago. Only got a chance to brew in the next few days.
I know you're supposed to brew asap, so thanks for the reminder with this thread as to what I may expect.

how were the grains stored? vac sealed?

Crushed grain will keep for months and months to no ill effect.

If its a pale ale, 40ibu with 1044 sounds good to me :)

Black n Tan said:
I think the issue about using crushed grain quickly is about oxidation, which i imagine would mean your beer may taste stale prematurely. I doubt very much that it would affect efficiency.
Did you read that or from experience?

Did you take pre-boil gravity readings? Surely they were under... or you didn't boil off enough?

I always take a pre-boil... if I stuff up on efficiency - which has happened many a time, I can then at least alter my hop additions to balance the beer.

Whilst I understand your pain, and it is a waste of grain, 1044 and 40IBU might still be a decent beer... call it a half IPA, perhaps.

dent said:
Crushed grain will keep for months and months to no ill effect.
+1

I found some crushed grain in a sealed bunnings 20l pale that was about 15months old, I'd completely forgotten about it. It turned out fine, grain was still firm with no stale taste so I went ahead and brewed with it.

Cocko said:
Did you read that or from experience?
No not from experience nor from reading. I was at G&G a few month ago as I was having efficiency issues with my Braumeister. So we did a run with some old crushed grain they had on hand (from an order someone didn't pick up). Anyway we got to the end of the mash and Chris thought we may as well ferment it. It did smell good. We talked to John who said it was several weeks (may be months) old and would not use it in a ferment as it would be stale. BTW it was in a sealed bag. That was good enough for me. I appreciated their help and the braumeister was working fine.

At the end of the day I'll rack that one up to experience and it gives me an excuse to get something from hanna instruments - can only assume that was the problem. Basically brewed something in the style of 21st amendments american bitter.

Back