Buffalow Sauce Needs a new name here is oz?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danscraftbeer

Reaction score
Basically crispy fryed chicken ( of various cuts) doused in a chilli butter sauce, :icon_drool2:

I make many bottles of chilli sauce each year with a rating of 2 to 10++.

The simple recipe is half and half of chilli sauce and Butter. Added touches optional

Its been an gastronomic adventure of mine for years now. Its now refined to my own variable organic purity and loving the basic balance all the way. Like beer. A simple group of ingredients that can be varied.

Anyone relate? Please share.

The chili sauce pretty much has to be Franks Red Hot (original)* - and about 2:1 ratio of sauce to butter. Other trick is not to heat the butter up so much that it clarifies - just do it enough to melt & thicken the sauce so it coats the wings.

* have to be vinegar based hot sauce, the vinegar is key to cutting through all the fat/oil

Liam_snorkel said:
The chili sauce pretty much has to be Franks Red Hot (original)* - and about 2:1 ratio of sauce to butter. Other trick is not to heat the butter up so much that it clarifies - just do it enough to melt & thicken the sauce so it coats the wings.

* have to be vinegar based hot sauce, the vinegar is key to cutting through all the fat/oil
We used to buy 1 gallon jugs of Franks when I lived in the USA, the way I was taught was 1 cup Franks, 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 cup melted butter. Freaking lovely. And NEVER crumb the wings! Best to do a double fry, the French have some special name for it, but first is a low temp fry 140c(?) to gelatinise the proteins, then let cool and the hot fry 210c. Gets the skin super crispy whilst leaving the inside juicy.

I worked out a basic clone balance of the Franks Red Hot Sauce. Its all Cayenne Peppers but the recipe can be used for any chilli.

500g Fresh Red Cayenne Chilli
1300ml Vinegar. (Franks is just white vinegar. I use home made Apple Cider Vinegar or Malt vinegar)
120g Minced Garlic
30g salt - or less
Add all to pot and boil. Blend/puree then re-boil stirring until consistence is just right. Bottle hot.
So simple and so good.

Latest posts

Back