Buckwheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Coleman

Reaction score
Quite liked the taste of this beer, did a search for this but failed to find anything helpful, has anyone got much knowledge and/or experience with wsing buckwheat in beer other then gluten free beers?! Wouldnt mind adding a bit to my next pale ale just for a taste but not shure about amounts or exactly how to use it, mash it etc!?

Loving rogues pacman yeast too :), will definetly try using it myself on my ales!

DREW :icon_cheers:

Quite liked the taste of this beer, did a search for this but failed to find anything helpful, has anyone got much knowledge and/or experience with wsing buckwheat in beer other then gluten free beers?! Wouldnt mind adding a bit to my next pale ale just for a taste but not shure about amounts or exactly how to use it, mash it etc!?

Loving rogues pacman yeast too :), will definetly try using it myself on my ales!

DREW :icon_cheers:

Temple brewery has done a buckwheat beer. I had a chat too him and basically it is a pain in the arse to brew. Very sticky grain so prone to stuck sparges. Rice hulls would be recommended if you could find some malted buckwheat.

its a pitty it doesnt seem real easy to use but i might have a go at malting it and replacing it with the wheat I'd usually use in a pale ale soon, depends if i can get around to malting it myself really otherwize it sounds as though i may as well just stick to wheat and rye and their roast and crystalized versions! cheers for the replies!

Drew

You can buy unmalted buckwheat flour from health food shops.

Been using it to make galettes (savoury pancake from the Breton region of France).

So in theory you could use it and add some rice hulls to make life easier.

Had heaps of experience using buckwheat in gluten free beers, malted and raw, and yes it is a PITA to lauter but rice hulls help lots.

For what you want to do I would buy a 500g packet of buckwheat flour from the supermarket (as DrSmurto suggested) and use that in a 5kg grainbill so about 10%, if you go over 20% the flavour becomes quite dominant - might not be quite so strong raw compared to malted.

You will have to pre-gelatinise the flour before adding to the mash or it won't convert at normal mash temps of 65-70C. Boil the 500g of flour in about 2 litres of water before adding to the mash, if you can add some amylase enzymes in there as well that will help it not gum up too much. You would only need to add 100g or so of rice hulls.

Performance wise I have always found it gives great head retention (more so malted than raw) and adds the distinctive buckwheat flavour that you would've picked up in the Soba Ale.

Have fun and enjoy!

Had heaps of experience using buckwheat in gluten free beers, malted and raw, and yes it is a PITA to lauter but rice hulls help lots.

For what you want to do I would buy a 500g packet of buckwheat flour from the supermarket (as DrSmurto suggested) and use that in a 5kg grainbill so about 10%, if you go over 20% the flavour becomes quite dominant - might not be quite so strong raw compared to malted.

You will have to pre-gelatinise the flour before adding to the mash or it won't convert at normal mash temps of 65-70C. Boil the 500g of flour in about 2 litres of water before adding to the mash, if you can add some amylase enzymes in there as well that will help it not gum up too much. You would only need to add 100g or so of rice hulls.

Performance wise I have always found it gives great head retention (more so malted than raw) and adds the distinctive buckwheat flavour that you would've picked up in the Soba Ale.

Have fun and enjoy!

from your knowledge and experience MM, what would be the chances of being able to use grains/seeds like aramanth or quinoa like buckwheat has been used as an adjunct?!

on a side topic, im planning a spelt witbier in the near future. Will do aside by side with that an a raw wheat and see what the differences/simillarities are.

Flavour of buckwheat is very strong compared to regular wheat flour.

The galettes i make have a very unique and strong flavour which is why i use it, had never considered using it in a beer so maybe i need to track down the beer you mentioned and have a taste. Where did you buy it from?

My pantry has millet, quinoa, buckwheat and other gluten-free grains (wife and kids are coeliacs).

Very curious to brew with some of those, just for the hell of it. I've got about 10yrs to perfect a gluten free beer for my sons!

You also might like to try "kasha" which is roasted buckwheat groats ... the biscuits made from this are really nutty.

from your knowledge and experience MM, what would be the chances of being able to use grains/seeds like aramanth or quinoa like buckwheat has been used as an adjunct?!

on a side topic, im planning a spelt witbier in the near future. Will do aside by side with that an a raw wheat and see what the differences/simillarities are.
Fourstar,

Amaranth and quinoa can both be used as adjuncts, the easy way would be to buy the puffed breakfast cereal versions as you can throw them straight into the mash without the need to pre-gelatinise. Pretty much any seed or grain can be used but it all comes down to the flavour in the end.

Cheers, Andrew.

Latest posts

Back