Bubbling Air Lock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef12345

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has taken time to answer my questions concerning brewing.

I have put down a lager yesterday
wort temp 23 wort sg 1030
23 ltr batch
The airlock is covered in a large foam ball

I used generic yeast that came with the starter tin

Is this a good sign guys ?>

thankyou master brewers :party:

Keef,

is it a good sign? Well it indicates vigorous fermentation but this doesnt mean its a good sign.

A lager is generally fermented at a much lower temp(7-12deg) than ales (18+ deg) and as a result lagers should take a lot longer to ferment (1-3 weeks) than ales (2+ days).

So you have pitched the yeast and maintained a high temp for a lager and this the foam ball from vigorous fermentation. I've never had this, but i believe this can produce diacetyl (buttery) flavours in your lager and the only way to rid these is a long lagering time (conditioning).

I would take the temp of the beer down to about 10deg slowly over the next day. After a couple of weeks, taste. If it has these diacetly flavour i would rack to secondary and lager for an extended period, tasting to see how its getting better.

Cheers

but if he used the yeast under the tin its made to be fermented at a higher temp. its not a lager yeast

keef dont bring the temp down, about a 95% you have an ale yeast. Only kits i know with a lager are the coopers bavarian lager and the other which i cant think of at the moment. Although make sure you clean your airlock constantly and santise to avoid infection.

keef dont bring the temp down, about a 95% you have an ale yeast. Only kits i know with a lager are the coopers bavarian lager and the other which i cant think of at the moment. Although make sure you clean your airlock constantly and santise to avoid infection.

thanks eddy I have been keeping the air lock clean also. The weather here in nsw is getting alot warmer so its hard to get good results with lagers..cheer :beer:

for your next brew, chuck away the yeast on top of the can and invest in some real yeast from a HB shop. A liquid may cost you $15 but you can reculture up to 5 or 6 times. It will make homebrew taste like beer. Remember, 30% of your flavour comes from yeast. The stuff on top of the can is meant for all scenarios (NQLD to Tasmania) and may have sat in the shop for months/years. Take the time to get a nice yeast and make nice beer.

for your next brew, chuck away the yeast on top of the can and invest in some real yeast from a HB shop. A liquid may cost you $15 but you can reculture up to 5 or 6 times. It will make homebrew taste like beer. Remember, 30% of your flavour comes from yeast. The stuff on top of the can is meant for all scenarios (NQLD to Tasmania) and may have sat in the shop for months/years. Take the time to get a nice yeast and make nice beer.

thanks for the comments

Back