BRY 97

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would bother after tasting the results from pitching one pack. Not my 2c worth, but actually posted from experience. Think to date I have used more than 20 packs of this yeast. Never bothered pitching more than 1 pack when using Notto in dark ales, but I hate the result from pitching one pack of it to a pale ale.

Screwy

Screwtop said:
You would bother after tasting the results from pitching one pack. Not my 2c worth, but actually posted from experience. Think to date I have used more than 20 packs of this yeast. Never bothered pitching more than 1 pack when using Notto in dark ales, but I hate the result from pitching one pack of it to a pale ale.

Screwy
Fair enough Mike, I must say years ago this was my yeast of choice and I guess that I would have used well over 50 packs of the stuff. :p

In all that time I have never used it in a pale ale. I'm a bit over Notto these days, but do a bit of a search back 10 years or so,
this site will show my love for it.

Oh and brew with it cool, 15c is excellent for an Alt.

Batz said:
Fair enough Mike, I must say years ago this was my yeast of choice and I guess that I would have used well over 50 packs of the stuff. :p

In all that time I have never used it in a pale ale. I'm a bit over Notto these days, but do a bit of a search back 10 years or so,
this site will show my love for it.

Oh and brew with it cool, 15c is excellent for an Alt.
And an excellent Alt it is too!!!

It is, but after many years brewing and refining all you processes dry yeasts really don't cut it. It's a secondary option if you don't have the real thing available.

For me a dry yeast is for emergencies only.

Batz

OP, my last BRY97 pitch is described in one of those liked threads above. I got a 72 hour lag last time I used the thing. I've had 12 hours off it, too. Obviously wort composition can vary, but both of those varied lags were fully oxygenated ~1.050 brews. My end takeaway is that I am over using the yeast myself, but I wouldn't stress till 48 hours at least.

DAC said:
Pitched as per instructions 20 hrs ago and still nothing.
Temp con fridge, wort @ 18'c. 1.051 O.G used it before with no trouble, vac seal packet.
I'll give it a couple more hours & then
Good stir?? Re-pitch ??
Any thoughts?
A couple of weeks back I pitched re-hydrated BRY-97 on 17l of 1051 pale ale, no sign of krausen/fermentation for nearly 48 hours, then it fermented out in about 6 days after that.

Pitched re-hydrated US-05 on 21l of 1055 pale ale on Thursday, 20 hours later a solid krausen had started to form. Seems BRY is just a slow starter.

I love that I'm not the only one who gets out of bed a walks straight to the fermenter(s).

Mr. No-Tip said:
OP, my last BRY97 pitch is described in one of those liked threads above. I got a 72 hour lag last time I used the thing. I've had 12 hours off it, too. Obviously wort composition can vary, but both of those varied lags were fully oxygenated ~1.050 brews. My end takeaway is that I am over using the yeast myself, but I wouldn't stress till 48 hours at least.
A lot of years ago, maybe 2006 I carried out some oxygenation experiments, a search might reveal some of the outcomes. One surprising find was that dried yeast in oxygenated wort took longer to start. Lellemand/Danstar dried yeasts are manufactured containing 5% lipids. So long as you produce 3-5% alcohol beers no oxygen is required.

FROM THE LALLEMAND WEBSITE: When you produce 3-5% alcohol beer this is no problem. It is when you produce higher alcohol beer or inoculate at a lower rate, that you need to add O2 to produce more yeast and for alcohol tolerance near the end of fermentation. You definitely need added O2 when you reuse the yeast for the next inoculum.

431neb said:
I love that I'm not the only one who gets out of bed a walks straight to the fermenter(s).
Haha more than you would ever think!

Screwy

431neb said:
was actually going to bed (shift work) but couldn't wait to wake up & check again. Lol.

Morning routine. Put water for coffee onto boil. Check fermenter/s. Make coffee. Check AHB. Go to work :)

Back on topic. I have given up on this yeast for now. Used it twice and both have had issues. One with an infection which was 'y first ever and the other just didn;t have the hop punch I was looking for. Both rehydrated as per manufacturers instructions. Never had a problem with any other yeast.

Brewed yesterday, split the batch 21L in each fermenter. Pitched two packs of rehydrated BRY97 at 7.30pm last night, went to check this morning after 14Hrs. Wort in the Stainless Fermenter is active, the Plastic Fermenter has some positive pressure in the airlock but has not started properly just yet.

This yeast has never been slow to start for me!

Have a look, lots of blowoff tube activity from the batch in the Stainless Fermenter

http://s81.photobucket.com/user/ron_son/media/Brewing/VIDEO0100_zps7f7dac56.mp4.html

http://s81.photobucket.com/user/ron_son/media/Brewing/VIDEO0101_zps68b089f1.mp4.html

lukiferj said:
Morning routine. Put water for coffee onto boil. Check fermenter/s. Make coffee. Check AHB. Go to work :)

Back on topic. I have given up on this yeast for now. Used it twice and both have had issues. One with an infection which was 'y first ever and the other just didn;t have the hop punch I was looking for. Both rehydrated as per manufacturers instructions. Never had a problem with any other yeast.
I'm not a fan of it either . Similar results to Lukiferj. There are plenty of other yeast options.

I have used about 20 packs of this yeast now.

I have had 2 distinctly different results depending on pitch rate:

1. Pitch under 0.8-1g per litre - Does not flocculate properly and weird tastes and very slow start
2. Pitch over 08-1g per litre - Clean beer with good clarity, start within 24 hours.

I used to be a non-rehydrator too but after doing both with this yeast I now rehydrate.

In summary, follow instructions!

I haven't brewed for about six weeks and had a couple of cubes in the fementer fridge sitting at 2 degrees (insurance policy as the seals aren't 100%). Plus a schott bottle of BRY 97 slurry from a cream ale in the kitchen fridge also sitting at 2 degrees.

Last night I combined the lot in a fermenter around 8 pm, allowing it to warm up overnight and at 7 am this morning it was 20 degrees and going bonkers.

I'm running this one (another cream ale) through at 20 and interested to see how it ends up. With the liquid yeast argument, I have had clarity issues with all the chico yeasts I have used, Wyeast, Whitlabs, US-05 etc and BRY 97 so far is giving me exactly what I've been looking for - clean bright American blondes and cream ales.

cream ale 3.jpg

This has started to show some activity just short of 72 hours...

An infected cube shows signs of activity sooner than that. :angry:

Just thought I'd give a quick anecdote. Punched out a couple of beers last weekend. Pitched yeast on Tuesday morning.

One was an APA (though through a SWMBO-induced brew day botch-up, I have a very bitter, lighter bodied 4.25% beer, but that's another story), the other a British Pale Ale.

The former beer had BRY97 (due to me brewing and then looking in the freezer and realising I have no US05), and the latter, good old Notto, again, thought I had Windsor and didn't.

I re-hydrated both. I'm in the habit of this now.

Notto typically finished on Friday, 1.009, with an Apparent Attenuation of 82%. Nothing unusual there.

But the BRY97 - I tested on Saturday for a larf, 1.008 with an Apparent Attenuation of 80.5%. It was off and running with the hydration within a day. No massively big krausen (for BRY97) but a solid probably 4 inches.

I can't pick this one, but I suppose it supports my gut feeling on rehydration, regardless of the debate, I feel better doing it.

Anyone doing APA or hoppy beers and tossing up between Bry97 and US05 - check out this link:

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/blog/yeast-experiment-american-session/

Full credit to the person on AHB who originally posted it in another thread (which unfortunately I can't find).

They did a side by side test with Bry97, US05, Mangrove Jacks West Coast M44 Dry yeast and White Labs WLP001.

Good tracking of the ferment and some notes on the tasting as well!

Spoiler Alert: they actually rated the Mangrove Jack M44 as the winner for balance. will have to give it a try I guess, haven't really seen much feedback on it before

Latest posts

Back