BRY 97

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I understand it, that problem would exist for any starter, be it from dry or liquid yeast.

dent said:
As I understand it, that problem would exist for any starter, be it from dry or liquid yeast.
Yup. The argument for not making a starter for dry yeast is usually that most dry yeast packets actually contain enough yeast to ferment an "average" batch of ale without needing to build up the number of cells. So if you've already got enough cells, why deplete their reserves and then wait for them to build up again?

Same reasons as usual for more yeast - big batch, high gravity, or any lager.

Wait a minute guys, which leg are you standing on when you pitch?? This makes a huge difference

dent said:
Same reasons as usual for more yeast - big batch, high gravity, or any lager.
I get that, I was just regurgitating the usual argument from the naysayers. The other argument they commonly use is that it's cheaper to just buy more dry yeast than it is to make a starter. But I don't agree with that one either - at ~$6 for another 11.5 g pack of yeast or <$2 for enough malt extract for a 2 L starter...

mje1980 said:
Wait a minute guys, which leg are you standing on when you pitch?? This makes a huge difference
That's nowhere near as important as which hand you use to pour the yeast.

pat86 said:
Anyone doing APA or hoppy beers and tossing up between Bry97 and US05 - check out this link:

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/blog/yeast-experiment-american-session/

Full credit to the person on AHB who originally posted it in another thread (which unfortunately I can't find).

They did a side by side test with Bry97, US05, Mangrove Jacks West Coast M44 Dry yeast and White Labs WLP001.

Good tracking of the ferment and some notes on the tasting as well!

Spoiler Alert: they actually rated the Mangrove Jack M44 as the winner for balance. will have to give it a try I guess, haven't really seen much feedback on it before
Was looking forward to the results of this until I saw the pics & noticed there's a big clump of BRY97 sat on top of the wort after 24hrs - If they haven't even bothered mixing it in there's no surprise it's taken so long.

Cheers Ross

I wrote to Fermentis to ask their opinion on using re-hydrated dry yeast in a starter. The response I got is still not exactly definitive (give the use of "don't recommend"), but it's enough to personally keep me away from doing it:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email and for your interest in Fermentis products.
Our yeast range is designed for direct pitching and we don't recommend to put in place a propagation step
You could get more info at: http://www.fermentis.com/brewing/craftbrewing/tips-tricks/
Best regards

Jean-Jacques Bourdallé
That link leads to an online book they've published, which is very clear about using either water or wort for re-hydration, but again doesn't seem to address the question of pitching it into a starter once re-hydrated.

Back