Bruising Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUANNE

no chiller and botulism free since 2010
Reaction score
i was in tassie on the weekend and did the tour at moo brew. when talking with the brewer at the end of the tour he mentioned that they do every thing with gravity because they believe that a pump would bruise the beer. just wondering if anyone else had ever heard of the concept before and what difference in flavour it would cause because ive never heard of it before.

cheers dwayne

DISCLAIMER:
I am more than happy to be shot down for this. But,

That sounds like one great big mother load of wank to me.

Please read disclaimer again........

+1 on it being wank. Cut and paste Nath's disclaimer where you see fit.

it does sound like a wank but for clarity's sake, did they attempt to explain why?

I'm not so sure. depending on the pump type, using gravity only might reduce hot side oxygen uptake....

I actually prefer the taste of bruised beer and as such I beat the living snot out of it with a mallet until it's tender.

I actually prefer the taste of bruised beer and as such I beat the living snot out of it with a mallet until it's tender.
i don't need to.... my beers grain fed

My beer wears protective padding so it's safe from bruising.

To be honest, it does sound like a load of crap, but I'm sure that guy knows a lot more about beer than I'll ever know.

Maybe he uses the term "bruising beer" because its a lot easier just to say that to explain the use of a gravity system, so the people that are stickybeaking on the tour can go "oooohhhh aaaahhhhh yes OK i get it, no bruising from the pumps it all makes sense"

Sure he wasn't getting mixed up with the wines they make there? Pumpovers vs hand plunging??

As a half winery half brewery i can imagine they swap terms between the different halves...

Poor bugger probably does that tour twice a day for the last five years. Probably just thinks up something original each time he does it...

"We use a gravity fed system to avoid diastolic systolic lactation of the primary cerebral cortex of the diadastic diaspora"...

I llike to sharpen my pump impeller blades regularly, this ensures the beer is cut finely and not bruised in any way. Makes quite a racket when I run the sharpening stones through the pump though, goes quiet after a minute or so, thats when I know the blades are razor sharp.

I llike to sharpen my pump impeller blades regularly, this ensures the beer is cut finely and not bruised in any way. Makes quite a racket when I run the sharpening stones through the pump though, goes quiet after a minute or so, thats when I know the blades are razor sharp.

LOL!

He may have been referring to 'sheering' which can happen if a pump runs too fast for the wort/beer. Bruising does sound like a massive crock of shite though.

Booz

"We use a gravity fed system to avoid diastolic systolic lactation of the primary cerebral cortex of the diadastic diaspora"...

My beers diastolic systolic lactation of the primary cerebral cortex of the didactic diaspora got affected by a pump once.
Wasn't pretty.

i was in tassie on the weekend and did the tour at moo brew. when talking with the brewer at the end of the tour he mentioned that they do every thing with gravity because they believe that a pump would bruise the beer. just wondering if anyone else had ever heard of the concept before and what difference in flavour it would cause because ive never heard of it before.

cheers dwayne

Email the brewer and see what the response is.

Sure he wasn't getting mixed up with the wines they make there? Pumpovers vs hand plunging??

As a half winery half brewery i can imagine they swap terms between the different halves...

yes he did mention they got the idea from the wine side of things. he also mentioned the possibility oxidation from the pump as well but that was seen as a seperate issue to the bruising. i thought it sounded a bit like bullshit but thought id throw it out there for other poeples opinions.

Latest posts

Back