Bruising Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If u look through the filter threads you'll read about how filtering under too much pressure damages cell? structure. Ross has made several posts on this (so have others). It makes perfect sense at high pressures. Not sure about having to do it via gravity though.

been studying brewing for 3 years now... never heard of beer being bruised before.

Maybe I'll run across it in this years syllabus - but I kind of doubt it.

PS - not studying all that intensively...

yes he did mention they got the idea from the wine side of things. he also mentioned the possibility oxidation from the pump as well but that was seen as a seperate issue to the bruising. i thought it sounded a bit like bullshit but thought id throw it out there for other poeples opinions.

If they're getting oxidation issues from their pumps then their pumps sound like they're not up to the job. I was sure that Moo installed a PSS brewhouse similar to what i've been known to drive. (Moo even came to look at the workings of it) If so it's highly unikely it's gravity driven.

Cheers

Booz

Poor bugger probably does that tour twice a day for the last five years. Probably just thinks up something original each time he does it...

"We use a gravity fed system to avoid diastolic systolic lactation of the primary cerebral cortex of the diadastic diaspora"...

Does it matter if you gravity feed it from too much height; f%^k I would hate to get that happen to my beer.

beer hog did you ask how they get the water above the system or are they based under a waterfall
to pump or not to pump that is the question

Legend has it they use a large wick, with a fire at the top, which draws water from a local bathing pool, nubile virgins only bathing pool, up to a series of condensers and evaporators, where the water is purified mysticaly.

Just got back form a beer weekend in Tassie. Went to Moorilla for the Moo Brew. While their beer is pretty good, I didn't like the cellar door experience.

Everything was geared to the wanky wine folk and the Captain of a liner that was in dock was being told they were wanting to make a Belgian but didn't have the things ready yet... and were "going to fly in a Monk to do it"... The guy doing the speil used the line about six times in five minutes.

When a group of wine folk came up, around six people or so, the two couples, us being one pair kinda got sidelined in favor of the wine tasting....

Wouldn't really go back - but I definitely heartily recommend The New Sydney Pub - they have a massive hopinator on the bar and were running a heffewizen through ti on Saturday! 7 Sheds 50 Sheds on tap was killer!

but I definitely heartily recommend The New Sydney Pub - they have a massive hopinator on the bar and were running a heffewizen through ti on Saturday! 7 Sheds 50 Sheds on tap was killer!

Yeah - Big Al and Willie Simpson know what they are doing down there, that's for sure.

been studying brewing for 3 years now... never heard of beer being bruised before.

Maybe I'll run across it in this years syllabus - but I kind of doubt it.

PS - not studying all that intensively...
I doubt it to...

Friend of mine spent a couple years studying Zen; he came up with a Kōan to describe the experience "what is the sound of one man *******"

MHB

This bruising term could possibly stem from the winemaking world, as others have mentioned above.

There are schools of thought when using whole bunches for pressing, putting them through a must pump bruises the berries leading to off flavours.
Hard to say with that theory, but what it has to do with beer, especially in liquid form, i'd have no bloody idea...bruised grain? I thought that was a good thing!?

Back