Brown Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fogartn

Reaction score
Gday fellas
Wanting to make a brown ale.
Any tips/recipes on whats best to use and how to go about it would be great

Cheers

American or English? i have a hybrid one planned, I'm going to use 2x cans of morgans caramalt/amber(they used to have caramalt and choclate but my lhbs said they dont make them anymore and this is the substitute). Some dark dry malt about 500grams and 25g of fuggles and 50g cascade.

The recipe I used in this thread was a cracker. I'm doing AG now but I still reckon this was one of the better beers I've made. As commented in the thread I'd just steep the crystal, not the amber.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...=36056&st=0

It might be heading a bit more towards a porter rather than a brown Ale but you'll be happy with the result. There are some other recipe suggestion that might suit in this thread as well.

Are you looking for a kits & bits recipe, or an extract one?

If you want to steep some spec grains & boil some hops I've got a pretty decent recipe. I'll post it later when I'm not at work & have some time.

Hi,

I am putting down an ale that is put together by my lhbs guy
1 x coopers' dark ale kit
500g Dard DME
1kg Coopers BE2
Cascade hops @10 and 5
Nottingham yeast

Not sure how it tastes but apparently it is hugely successful and popular for the folks at my locale.

Here's the one I have bubbling away in the fridge now:

Bjorn's Brown Beer:

Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Size: 32.43 L
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 38.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
3.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC)
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC)
0.50 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)
0.10 kg Wheat, Roasted (Steeped separatly) (1477.5EBC)
0.05 kg Wheat, Roasted (in the mash) (1477.5 EBC)
14.00 gm Styrian Goldings [2.60 %] (Dry Hop 3 days
30.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.9 IBU
27.00 gm Styrian Goldings [2.60 %] (20 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
44.00 gm Styrian Goldings [2.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Servomyces (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4.70 gm Chalk (Calcium Carbonate CaCO3) (Mash 60.0Misc
5.80 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) CaSO4 (Mash 60.0 Misc
0.50 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 9.71 %
30.00 L Sydney -(prospect water)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

Water additions based on adding only 50 gr of roasted wheat to the mash, then adding the "extract tea' of the last 100 gr of roasted wheat after using the coffee plunger on the grains.
Mashed at 67 degrees for 60 mins before doing 15 min mash-out at 76.
Mashed in 20 litres of water and sparged with about 6 litres.

Chilled with immersion chiller, (or just put it in a cube until the next day but take the hops out a couple of minutes after turning off the heat).
Ferment at 16-18 degrees and leave for 2 weeks to really let the yeast clear up before dropping the temp to 1 degree for several days before bottling.

Thanks
Bjorn

Probably a lovely beer Bjorn but a bit complex for a new KK brewer don't you think?

strappa said:
As simple as possible. im a bit of a newbie.
Only do pretty basic stuff normaly

As simple as possible. im a bit of a newbie.
Only do pretty basic stuff normaly

Can that involve steeping some grain & boiling some hops? Manticle helped me out with a recipe that was good enough that I'm making it again tonight. If you've got a 10/20L pot & a grain bag then it is fairly simple:

2 cans coopers light extract
700g LDME
200g biscuit
200g crystal
100g chocolate
25g amarillo @ 60
20g amarillo @ 20
20g amarillo @ 10
10g amarillo in the fermenter
us05

I'm dropping the 60 min amarillo for simcoe this time for a bit more bitterness & doubling the recipe for the 60L fermenter in the fridge.

Can that involve steeping some grain & boiling some hops? Manticle helped me out with a recipe that was good enough that I'm making it again tonight. If you've got a 10/20L pot & a grain bag then it is fairly simple:

2 cans coopers light extract
700g LDME
200g biscuit
200g crystal
100g chocolate
25g amarillo @ 60
20g amarillo @ 20
20g amarillo @ 10
10g amarillo in the fermenter
us05

I'm dropping the 60 min amarillo for simcoe this time for a bit more bitterness & doubling the recipe for the 60L fermenter in the fridge.

Doesn't the Biscuit need mashing?

Technically and according to some sources it needs to be mashed with another base malt (others say it is capable of self conversion) but such a small amount steeped at the right temp might be ok. Otherwise substitute with caravienne.

Technically and according to some sources it needs to be mashed with another base malt (others say it is capable of self conversion) but such a small amount steeped at the right temp might be ok. Otherwise substitute with caravienne.

Caravienne, is that the same as Carabohemian or Caravienna?
Where can you get it?

Not the same as carabohemian. Briess make it but I have to apologise - I can't find any Australian supplier who stocks it. I've noticed some similarities between vienna malt (particularly weyermans) and biscuit - a bready, nutty, toasty, biscuity characteristic. Obviously there's no point recommending replacing a malt that needs mashing with another so the closest thing I can find, (based on description) is caravienne. However I'm now having trouble finding reference to its biscuity qualities so I may just have to bite the bullet and suggest I was arsetalking.

Sorry if I've misled anyone. I guess it would be possible to conduct a tiny minimash with some biscuit and some vienna but this is getting beyond the scope of the simple recipe asked for above.

By the way - dingemans biscuit definitely does need mashing with other base malts according to dingemans product description.

You do love your dingemans biscuit don't you Manticle. :p I reckon it's been in almost every recipe I've seen you post on here. I'm a bit like that with Munich. That's the beauty of homebrew, you find what you like and can keep doing it...

You do love your dingemans biscuit don't you Manticle. :p I reckon it's been in almost every recipe I've seen you post on here. I'm a bit like that with Munich. That's the beauty of homebrew, you find what you like and can keep doing it...

Love the stuff. Only brew I've put it in that seems out of place that I've made so far is the aussie bitter I bottled yesterday.

Perhaps Special B would be a good substitute or as I remember from a previous post a lot of people find that Caraaroma gives a bit of a biscuity flavour for extract brews.

Probably a lovely beer Bjorn but a bit complex for a new KK brewer don't you think?

Ah, posted to quickly there!
Missed that part, sorry.

Hatchy's recipe seems like a cracker, and probably a better fit.

Bjorn

Back