Brown Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boybrewer

Reaction score
Hi All ;
Put down a brown ale on friday , as I couldn't get the temp down low enough I stuck it in the fridge . At this stage the yeast wasn't pitched . Then the SWMBO and myself went away for a couple of days , so I decided to pitch the starter when we got back , we arrived home this afternoon . The first thing I did was to check the fermenter and to my surprise it had started fermenting :eek: . First thing that hit me was wild yeast ,as friday was a very warm and windy day here in Melbourne .
My questions are let it ferment and see what comes of it ?
Split it and boil one lot and pitch the yeast and see what comes of it ?
Reboil the lot and then pitch the yeast ?

Any ideas would be greatfully appreciated thanks in advance .

Cheers
Beerbelly

Hi All ;
Put down a brown ale on friday , as I couldn't get the temp down low enough I stuck it in the fridge . At this stage the yeast wasn't pitched . Then the SWMBO and myself went away for a couple of days , so I decided to pitch the starter when we got back , we arrived home this afternoon . The first thing I did was to check the fermenter and to my surprise it had started fermenting :eek: . First thing that hit me was wild yeast ,as friday was a very warm and windy day here in Melbourne .

Cheers
Beerbelly

I'm afraid it's lawn food BeerBelly. A couple of days of wild ferment will have stripped the wort beyond repair IMO. Boiling will kill the yeasties but not replace the sugars, malts etc.

Chap Chap

Hi All ;

Cheers
Beerbelly

If you're prepared to wait 6-12 months to see if anything good comes of it and are completely prepared that it may be rubbish then let it ferment and see.

If not, taste it now. If it tastes ok, reboil it and pitch.

If it tastes horrible then either option 1 or chuck it. Splitting is always a good idea because then you'll know for yourself. Depends how much fermenter room you have I guess.

Thanks for the fast replies . I did have a taste of it and the taste was still ok . It still had a sweet and malty taste to it .

i say tip it and start again.

I doubt it will end up ok if its fermenting on wild yeast or god knows what else.

Maybe Darren can help?

i say tip it and start again.

I doubt it will end up ok if its fermenting on wild yeast or god knows what else.

Maybe Darren can help? :lol: :lol: :lol:

+1

It can only be good lawn food. Start again it won't take long to another sensational brew under way.

The first thing I did was to check the fermenter and to my surprise it had started fermenting :eek: . First thing that hit me was wild yeast

Cheers
Beerbelly

I would find it hard to believe it is anything but a wild ferment that has kicked in. Have had the same problem before, all be it a long time ago when I first started AGing. Like many other brewers before me I thought f**k it I will let it ferment out and keg it. Nup...... tip it or maybe better still ferment it out and enjoy that funky infected experince :lol:

BYB

Are you sure the fermentation was started? if no krausen, then it might just be the wort cooling drawing air in though the airlock. If there is yeast in it then no point in boiling as you'll be making vegemite out of the yeast unless you can filter it. If you can already taste funky wild yeast then it's too late, if as you say it tastes sweet & malty, then you may just have misread the situation & still be salvagable.
If it genuinely is infected, then yeah, tip it.

Yeah there is some krausen , it has about 1/4" of it on top or the wort , even though the temp is around 12*C .

Well I took the lid off and gave it the smell test . Burnt my bloody nostrils :icon_vomit:

Any fermenting brew will do that if you inhale the lot with the lid off. Take a sample in a hydrometer tube and smell/taste that.

Back