Brown Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achy02

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have never brewed (or drunk) a brown ale before but i promised my brother I would give it a go for him. I using up some odds and ends and this is the recipe I have come up so far. Any help would be appreciated:

1 tin coopers real ale
100 gram choc malt
100 gram crystal malt - steeped
1 pkt brew enhancer 2
20 grams fuggles - boiled for 20min
20 grams fuggles - dry hopped

safale 04 yeast

Ideas?

Cheers,

aches

Hi all,

I have never brewed (or drunk) a brown ale before but i promised my brother I would give it a go for him. I using up some odds and ends and this is the recipe I have come up so far. Any help would be appreciated:

1 tin coopers real ale
100 gram choc malt
1 pkt brew enhancer 2

safale 04 yeast

Ideas?

Cheers,

aches

By the fuggles, I'm assuming your brother is more interested in a english than an american brown. My opinion is that you'll need a yeast with more flavour than S 04. I don't know much about kits, but it the rest reads fine to me.

Try and get one of the dry english yeasts from the site sponsors if you aren't comfortable with liquid yeasts.

take it or leave it, I'm sure it'll be good either way

James

Hi all,

1 tin coopers real ale
100 gram choc malt
1 pkt brew enhancer 2

safale 04 yeast

Ideas?

Cheers,

aches

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/07/09/b...brewing-styles/

Hi achy, I made a straight Coopers Real Ale with BE2 last year as a demo for a buddy who was starting brewing. Just by itself it is quite a bitter drop and personally I would just do a single late hop addition, say 20g of East Kent Goldings for 10 minutes. Fuggles might give a 'grassy' twang to the beer.

UK brown ales are supposed to be malty and nutty without the hops being too overpowering. The choc and crystal look spot on and the BE2 is a great booster for kit beers.

I'd certainly go for the S-04. I have tried it, Nottingham and US-05 which are all good ale yeasts but the S-04 shouldn't strip out the flavours as much as the notto and 05 can do with a 'richer' tasting beer.

James Squire Amber Ale (Extract Recipe)

Batch Size: 23.00L
Anticipated OG: 1.044
Anticipated EBC: 20.0
Anticipated IBU: 22.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 45 Minutes

Ingredients

3kg Coopers Unhopped Liquid Malt Extract
300g Crystal Malt (140 EBC)
30g Chocolate Malt (900 EBC)
40g Willamette Hops 4.3%AA (45min) 35g @ 4.8%AA
20g Willamette Hops 4.3%AA (5min) 15g @ 4.8%AA
Fermentis Safale US-05 (Pink) or S-O4 (Blue) Yeast

Method

Add 2L of water to a pot. Heat to 70 deg. Remove from heat. Add cracked grain, stir in. Place lid on pot and set to side for 30min.
Strain the grain into a large pot. Add 1.5kg of the LME. Add enough water until you have 10L. Bring to boil. Once rolling boil starts add first 40g of hops (do not cover).
Boil for 40mins and then add the remaining 20g hops. Boil for another 5 mins and remove from heat.
Add the other tin of LME to this pot, stir until dissolved. Place lid back on pot and cool in ice bath, laundry sink etc.
Once cooled to pitching temp 20-24 deg. Strain contents of pot into a sterile fermenter. Top up to 23L. Pitch yeast.
Keep temperature between 18-20 deg until fully fermented.

I tried the 2 Brothers US Brown Ale "Growler" on Saturday, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face knowing that this is a good sign for Australian beer.
http://www.2brothers.com.au/beer2.html

They don't list a stockist in Bris, but maybe see if you can get your hands on one somehow (any friends in Melb?).

Just mashing a brown ale at home. Slipped down the local for a couple of pints. Really enjoying a 2 brothers growler. Anyone got any idea what recipe would be a good clone?

Just mashing a brown ale at home. Slipped down the local for a couple of pints. Really enjoying a 2 brothers growler. Anyone got any idea what recipe would be a good clone?

Hey, did you get anywhere with your search for a growler clone? Also, I'm intrigued by your Brunswick Brown Ale. Can you tell me about that? I'm currently taste testing many browns and am planning some recipes. Happy to share thoughts...

Hey, did you get anywhere with your search for a growler clone? Also, I'm intrigued by your Brunswick Brown Ale. Can you tell me about that? I'm currently taste testing many browns and am planning some recipes. Happy to share thoughts...

Hey Mate. No good on the clone as yet. I'll let you know when the brown is in tap. Could even drop over a bottle. Will post the recipe when I get home.
Didn't know there were so many brewers in Brunswick!! I am off to G&G now to pick up my stuff for my brown that I am doing this weekend, details here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=66124

I will update it as it progresses.

We should have Brunswick catch up one day?

We should have Brunswick catch up one day?

Definitely should happen - there seems to be a shit tonne of us!

Was considering going to a MB day - but I can't make next Wednesday - hopefully I can soon. Used to get out to Westgate meetings on occasion but not anymore.

Hi all,

1 tin coopers real ale
100 gram choc malt
1 pkt brew enhancer 2

safale 04 yeast

Ideas?

Cheers,

aches

Have you started this beer yet? I have come up with almost this exact recipe before and i found that the beer was pretty spot on for a newcastle brown(englsh).. If you wanted to make an american style brown i would probably not use the choc malt and add 50g of crystal also use ammerillo hops.

If you have started this beer, could you tell me how it went for you??

cheers

Latest posts

Back