"Bronzed Brews" Home brewing old Australian Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Incredible new book, written by ESB (Sydney) member Peter Symons.

Bronzed brews.jpg

I was alerted to it a couple of weeks ago and my copy arrived today. I held off commenting on the forum as I thought Peter would be posting himself, but mate this book is too good to hide under a bushell, so apologies for stealing any thunder here.

Over 350 pages of detailed and gruelling research into the history of Australian brewing (mostly NSW ) and brewing methods, ingredients... and of course masses of recipes. This would have to be an Australian first and fills in a massive blank area in the history of Australian beers and brewing.

Ron Pattinson of "Barclay Perkins" fame is raving about it.

Can't wait to get into brewing some of the oldies like the original KB, Dinner Ale etc.

Works out around $A35 including postage as it's published in the USA (same mob that do Ron's books), took only about a week to arrive.

Reading specs on. This stuff is pure gold B)

My copy arrived about 3 days ago. I agree it's a fascinating read so far, but only about 1/4 of the way through.

It also gives the reason why White Labs recent special release is called Melbourne No.1. The strain was isolated by Mr Johnson in a lab in Melbourne and widely used throughout Australia. Apparently it had the ability to successfully ferment brews with up to 50% gravity of cane sugar, without the slightest sign of weakness. It also stayed pure after re-sowing for months.

Recommend the book. Buy it, it's not expensive.

And the recipes given in the book look really interesting for anyone attempting to brew an historic aussie beer.

Looks interesting, thanks for the heads up.
I'll grab it next payday.

Thanks Bribie, I have a real interest in true Australian beers. Also ordered today.

Big ups Bribie. My google fu failed me when the Melbourne yeast strain was mentioned in a thread a week or so back, couldn't find this book, sounds great!

Good stuff.
A crate of original recipe Reschs pilsner would be just the sentimental ticket for the old mans birthday.
He was drinking it back when you needed one of these to access your (steel) can of beer.

s-l300.jpg

Just got my copy today. I live just down the road from the Cascade Brewery and I'm looking forward to brewing the 1887 Stout. At 8% it certainly is a different beast than today's example!

A quick glance at the recipes shows a lot brews with high percentages of sugar. Curious what they'll taste like....

Borneogoat said:
Just got my copy today. I live just down the road from the Cascade Brewery and I'm looking forward to brewing the 1887 Stout. At 8% it certainly is a different beast than today's example!

A quick glance at the recipes shows a lot brews with high percentages of sugar. Curious what they'll taste like....
According to the podcast linked above you have to over pitch yeast to avoid cidery flavours from the large amount of raw sugar in the wort.

Looks like an interesting read, I'll put it on the list.

I liked the cut of his jib...

then this happened

"I would really like to drink an Extra Stout with some Brettanomyces in the finish"

...I'm out

kunfaced said:
I liked the cut of his jib...

then this happened

"I would really like to drink an Extra Stout with some Brettanomyces in the finish"

...I'm out
Apparently Brett is used in the production of the Guinness "extract" that is exported around the globe to be used in local manufacture.

Latest posts

Back