"Bronzed Brews" Home brewing old Australian Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AJS2154 said:
Thanks for the response crowmanz. I saw that information too, but to be honest that is where I became confused. It also says that the evap rate is 10% per hour, so if you start with 32 litres, and boil for 90minutes (1.5 hours) then does that not then leave a wort size of 27.2 litres? That is, 30 * 0.85 = 27.2.

I might be making an error here, or perhaps it is assumed that the kettle to fermenter loss is 4.2 litres?
Don't forget about cooling which would bring it down to 27.2*0.96 = 26.1, assuming 4% loss of volume during cooling which seems the standard. Allowing for 3L of trub and dead space sounds reasonable if it is BIAB.

Thanks for the responses guys. Yes, I do adapt them BIAB, and I allow for 4% shrinkage and also a correction for trub / dead space. I will have a crack and see how it goes. Looking froward to it. All the best, Anthony

Anything on WA in the book?
I remember decades ago, some pubs in Perth, and especially any country towns along the railways, usually had old photos or ads of long defunct breweries that were in the area that were gobbled up pre 1940. I use to find it fascinating. Also it was interesting how there used to be so many dark ales about that have since disappeared.
Number pulled out of nowhere, but there were something like 100+ breweries, most taken over by swan, and now swan is gone too. What wasn't taken over by swan/LN swan, was taken over later by CUB. But good to see it's been reversed, first matilda (gone), then tousist area resurgence (bootleg was the first I remember early 90s, as well as inchant in guildford, sail and anchor took over after the matilda guys left selling house beer at brass monkey and queens, LC, feral, nail, german guy in the swan valley too was a while ago.

Just ordered using a coupon for a cool 25% off and free ship.... posted for just over $20AUD

Cant wait for the read!!

Just ordered a copy. Listened to the podcast on Basic Brewing the other day, it was really interesting, Peter is a great speaker as well.

Now we want the yeast, I wonder who will be the first retailer to stock it?

It'll come out I'm sure.

pablo_h said:
Anything on WA in the book?
Pablo,

He mentions WA's only claim to fame......the Emu 2.2 Lager. He said WA isn't notable beyond that......I think that might be slightly harsh

You're taking the mick. :(
I know I went off topic with the new stuff, but hey, we had as many old brits here making good beers as any other state once upon a time, and rule the roost now as well.

E: And damn, they did make something like that didn't they? Brought it out because of the stupid tooheys blue.
The "I'll have another, I'll have another Swan Gold!" jingle and the ABV wasn't low enough for the race to the bottom.

Ordered my copy with LULURC code. Can't wait to read it. I've also downloaded the poscast to listen to as well.

Mine arrived yesterday, check the shipping date!!!
I'm looking forward to a good read :)

1455228279029.jpg

Just ordered mine. Stoked.

Shame there are no WA beers in there. I was hoping for a ye olde recipe for Emu Bitter Ale.

Congrats on the publication, Peter.

If there are similar Victorian, SA, WA etc records then maybe we could look forward to a second edition, if Pete hasn't worked himself to an early grave doing it :unsure:

Its not just old brewery records that are important, but the oral history of the old brewers must be recorded. Beyond the ingredients that were used is the equipment, the methods and techniques,. And also the shift staffing, the characters and the culture of brewery life. These old blokes are in retirement homes around the country and historians need to get to them before they pass away.

Bribie G said:
If there are similar Victorian, SA, WA etc records then maybe we could look forward to a second edition, if Pete hasn't worked himself to an early grave doing it :unsure:
I am sure that there are more brewing logs out there - it is a question of finding out where and then getting access, which is tricky. The Swan brewery closed - but where did the brewing archive go?? Hopefully not in a skip!

Thanks for your concern I am still keen to fill in some more gaps.

Peter

AJS2154 said:
Thanks for the response crowmanz. I saw that information too, but to be honest that is where I became confused. It also says that the evap rate is 10% per hour, so if you start with 32 litres, and boil for 90minutes (1.5 hours) then does that not then leave a wort size of 27.2 litres? That is, 30 * 0.85 = 27.2.

I might be making an error here, or perhaps it is assumed that the kettle to fermenter loss is 4.2 litres?
I aim for 23l into the fermenter, what I find is with wort contraction due to cooling, and the losses due to not wanting to get trub into the fermenter is that I end up with a fair loss as well as the evaporation losses.

Everybodys system will likely be different and what I tried to do was set out as basis how my system works so that other brewers could adjust to suit their system.

Barry Cranston brewed most of the lagers and he took my recipe and fed it into Beersmith without problem.

Hope it works out OK for you

Cheers
Peter

Latest posts

Back