"Bronzed Brews" Home brewing old Australian Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like just a book Id like to read :D
Thanks for the heads up Bribie!

Cheers,
Martin

Ps. LULURC gave me 25% off plus free shipping, Aud $20.25 delivered, gotta be happy with that :)

Thanks Bribie for reference, thanks Funk for coupons reference. Ordered to the door as above, just tops.
Cheers

Bribie G said:
Apparently Brett is used in the production of the Guinness "extract" that is exported around the globe to be used in local manufacture.
Theres a Kilkenny tap up the road thats got something in it. Dunno if its brett..but Damn its awesome.

Bribie G said:
Incredible new book, written by ESB (Sydney) member Peter Symons.

attachicon.gif
Bronzed brews.jpg

I was alerted to it a couple of weeks ago and my copy arrived today. I held off commenting on the forum as I thought Peter would be posting himself, but mate this book is too good to hide under a bushell, so apologies for stealing any thunder here.

Over 350 pages of detailed and gruelling research into the history of Australian brewing (mostly NSW ) and brewing methods, ingredients... and of course masses of recipes. This would have to be an Australian first and fills in a massive blank area in the history of Australian beers and brewing.

Ron Pattinson of "Barclay Perkins" fame is raving about it.

Can't wait to get into brewing some of the oldies like the original KB, Dinner Ale etc.

Works out around $A35 including postage as it's published in the USA (same mob that do Ron's books), took only about a week to arrive.

Reading specs on. This stuff is pure gold B)
Thanks Bribie glad that you are enjoying The Book. I stress checking the Lulu homepage for their regular Discount Coupon offers.

Currently only US members of the White Labs Customer Club are allowed to vote in the Yeast Vault - we need 238 more people to vote for it (them) to get to 250. According to The Brew Shop once the magic 250 number is achieved then they can order more. I encourage everyone to lobby their LHBS and perhaps that could swing an earlier release?

I have a 1916 Pale ale in the fermenter at the moment with WLP059 and it is giving off some nice esters - give it a couple of weeks to condition and it should be ready for the next ESB club meeting.

Then the question is what should be the next beer using the yeast cake??? Decisions Decisions

Cheers
Peter

Ah, so you're Peter :lol:

Hope to get down to ESB comp this year.
Prepare to have your brains picked.

Just a couple of points, I can't get any Castle six row but for the pre- WW2 beers using "Cape malt" would just plain old BB Pale, being very bland and un-malty, be a good substitute?
Would one of the Belgian Candi sugars be a good sub for Invert no. 1? I'm particularly interested in Reschs DA. Otherwise I'll make my own.

Cheers
Michael

edit: I have bought Whitelabs from The Brew Shop at Peakhurst previously. How do we "lobby" them, just put in a message on their contact us page?

kunfaced said:
I liked the cut of his jib...

then this happened

"I would really like to drink an Extra Stout with some Brettanomyces in the finish"

...I'm out
Bribie G said:
Apparently Brett is used in the production of the Guinness "extract" that is exported around the globe to be used in local manufacture.
yeah I'd expect most historical UK beers would have been bretty.

Bribie G said:
Ah, so you're Peter :lol:

Hope to get down to ESB comp this year.
Prepare to have your brains picked.

Just a couple of points, I can't get any Castle six row but for the pre- WW2 beers using "Cape malt" would just plain old BB Pale, being very bland and un-malty, be a good substitute?
Would one of the Belgian Candi sugars be a good sub for Invert no. 1? I'm particularly interested in Reschs DA. Otherwise I'll make my own.

Cheers
Michael

edit: I have bought Whitelabs from The Brew Shop at Peakhurst previously. How do we "lobby" them, just put in a message on their contact us page?
You should try for a grainy and husky malt I have not used BB Pale. I got my Castle 6 row lager malt from The Brew Shop

The easy way to make No1 invert is to buy Tate and Lyles Golden Syrup (not CSR it is far too dark) and mix in the right amount of good molasses - I use Beerenberg The molasses needs to taste pleasant not bitter like the cheap stuff.

The unholymess site has the right ratios and a calculator

Barry Cranston brewed the DA using invert that I made up and it came out very well can't speak for the flavour effects of using candi sugar

The Brew Shop are on side about the yeast - perhaps you would like to start an online petition that we could sent to White Labs!

ESBComp2016 planning is well under way and will mostly use BJCP2015 Guidelines

Cheers
Peter
PS best of luck with the brain picking

Just listened to the recent podcast of The Session with the Whitelabs folks on it. Korev, I was thinking of something like what you were, except maybe one brew shop taking on the project for the Aussie brewing contingent and coordinating with Whitelabs.

They'd have zero issue selling 250 vials into Oz, but we can't vote, so likely the yeast won't even get produced, as only Americans can vote. Chris White said on the podcast that they planned to work with brew shops overseas to get Vault yeasts to customers. So is there a brew shop that would spearhead this? Either to sell all the yeast themselves or to act as distributor to other brew shops? It could lead into a good relationship with Whitelabs to act as distributor for the Vault yeasts in Oz.

Mardoo said:
Just listened to the recent podcast of The Session with the Whitelabs folks on it. Korev, I was thinking of something like what you were, except maybe one brew shop taking on the project for the Aussie brewing contingent and coordinating with Whitelabs.

They'd have zero issue selling 250 vials into Oz, but we can't vote, so likely the yeast won't even get produced, as only Americans can vote. Chris White said on the podcast that they planned to work with brew shops overseas to get Vault yeasts to customers. So is there a brew shop that would spearhead this? Either to sell all the yeast themselves or to act as distributor to other brew shops? It could lead into a good relationship with Whitelabs to act as distributor for the Vault yeasts in Oz.
My understanding is that The Brew Shop is the White Labs Distributor so they would seem to be the obvious choice. I think we need a system like a bulk buy where those interested commit to buying WLP059 then the Australian total could be added to those already in the Yeast vault - as of today we need 238 more votes!!

I have never organised a bulk buy so it would be good for someone who knows how to do it to put their hand up.

Cheers
Peter

Ordered on Friday and at my door when I got home today, cant wait to have a read!

Korev said:
My understanding is that The Brew Shop is the White Labs Distributor so they would seem to be the obvious choice. I think we need a system like a bulk buy where those interested commit to buying WLP059 then the Australian total could be added to those already in the Yeast vault - as of today we need 238 more votes!!

I have never organised a bulk buy so it would be good for someone who knows how to do it to put their hand up.

Cheers
Peter
I want this yeast so much it hurts, I'll have a think about how we can organise this.

Edit: my last bulk buy Admin position was in the Chinese Hops Buy... great buy, sad about the hops, but a great buy nonetheless. ... :lol: :lol:

Already read it cover to cover.

We need that Melbourne 1 yeast to do the recipes justice.

Anyone know someone at The Brew Shop? I'm in the process of setting up a different bulk buy and just don't have time to do two. If someone already has an in, it'd be great if they could at least check whether The Brew Shop would be interested in someone heading up the effort, or doing it themselves.

Mine arrived too.

Wonderful read and a credit to Peter Symons. I am keen to have a crack at most of the recipes, love all the dark beers in there.

My first ever sip of beer was on my grandfather's knee, in his beautiful old house in Tamworth. I was probably 5 or 6 (which is now 45 years ago). Still remember the overwhelming bitterness and how cold it was. Great memory to have, and the reason I bought the book; my grandfather's drink of choice was Resch's Dinner Ale (DA)....or dirty annie. I will be all over that like a fat kid on a chip.

Just one question. I have been reading the recipes carefully and can't work out one thing. The recipes have a batch size and a wort size of 23 litres. I assume this is the volume of wort into the fermenter. Correct?

If you are reading Peter, I have a number of beer brewing / recipe books which a great to have. However, with this book you have produced a collection of historically significant Australian beers and allowed us the chance to have a crack at making them. I will never know if the beers I brew are the even similar to what my grandfather used to drink in his home in Tamworth, but it doen't matter......I will imagine they are when I drink them, and thats all that matters. I will drink him a toast. Cheers, well done and thank you. Anthony

AJS2154 said:
Just one question. I have been reading the recipes carefully and can't work out one thing. The recipes have a batch size and a wort size of 23 litres. I assume this is the volume of wort into the fermenter. Correct?
page 6 has "Batch size 23L with a pre-boil wort size of 32L" so yeah 23L into the FV

Thanks for the response crowmanz. I saw that information too, but to be honest that is where I became confused. It also says that the evap rate is 10% per hour, so if you start with 32 litres, and boil for 90minutes (1.5 hours) then does that not then leave a wort size of 27.2 litres? That is, 30 * 0.85 = 27.2.

I might be making an error here, or perhaps it is assumed that the kettle to fermenter loss is 4.2 litres?

AJS2154 said:
Thanks for the response crowmanz. I saw that information too, but to be honest that is where I became confused. It also says that the evap rate is 10% per hour, so if you start with 32 litres, and boil for 90minutes (1.5 hours) then does that not then leave a wort size of 27.2 litres? That is, 30 * 0.85 = 27.2.

I might be making an error here, or perhaps it is assumed that the kettle to fermenter loss is 4.2 litres?
The recipes are set out using Promash.
A lot of the long term brewers on here may still prefer to use that software, but many more now use alternative software such as BeerSmith2 and others.
The reality is that the recipes are for 23 litres into the fermenter, and you need to adjust them for your own system and software, just like all recipes copied from print or the web, to ensure you achieve the result you aim for.

Latest posts

Back