Broken Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banora brewer

Reaction score
Hi, I dropped my hydrometer the other day, is it worthwhile getting another or should i get a refractometer?

If you got the money get a refractometer I think. I want a refractometer but I had to but when I broke my hydrometer I only had $50 to my name so had to buy another hydrometer but once I get money coming in be getting one. There is ones that adjust with the temperature to by memory when I was looking around

Get both, you can get refracs off ebay for a decent price and seem to work correctly when compared against your hydro readings. if you have both you can do things like working out the OG, FG and ABV of your beer or a commercial example once it has been packaged. Helpful if you are attempting to clone a beer.

I would highly recommend moving to a refractometer for brewing

- Very small amount of liquid to measure (couple of drops)
- Very quick to cool down so can easily take samples at any time during the brewing process (mashing, anytime during the boil, sparging)

One drawback is that Refractometer do not compensate for alcohol present, so gives incorrect readings of liquid containing alcohol (ie during and after fermentation). If you know the OG though, this can be compensated (here an online tool that will do it http://www.brewtoolz.com/tools )

Latest posts

Back