broke hydrometer test jar - what else could i use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wareemba

Reaction score
broke the plastic test receptacle (not the hydrometer!)

whats a good alternative?

A refractometer.

Sorry, I go nothing.

A measuring cylinder ;)

san1011.jpg

My one is glass, and I think 200 or 250ml. Important to get one with enough depth.

prettu much anything long and skiny it's just a matter of how much wort you waste with samples that will be the issue, obviously buy a new one at some stage but a skinny tall Pilsner glass will work for now

BrosysBrews said:
prettu much anything long and skiny it's just a matter of how much wort you waste with samples that will be the issue, obviously buy a new one at some stage but a skinny tall Pilsner glass will work for now

But that wouldn't work on ales?

:ph34r:

BrosysBrews said:
unfortunately i have two separate 1 gallon ciders that are still bubbling a tiny bit and are at 1001 and 0998 and i want to bottle them in the next few days as i am going interstate on the weekend!

so cant waste too much!!! (it's not 'wasted' as i drink all my testers!)

but that said - i'll probably be able to find a measuring cylinder like Stux has said near where i work tomorrow (Sydney CBD)...

THANKS STUX!

Mr B said:
Victoria's Basement might have something?
brilliant thinking, cheers!

just measured it - need 18-20mm ID tube at around 200-250mm height...

single rose vase, cheapo shop.

Don't get something too small in diameter or the gas bubbles can be a bitch in getting a true reading. Height is the important measurement.

Maybe a bit of spare pvc with and end cap on it. Fill to the brim and put your hydrometer in and you should be able to read it

danestead said:
Maybe a bit of spare pvc with and end cap on it. Fill to the brim and put your hydrometer in and you should be able to read it
Isn't pvc non transparent??

just buy a new one. they are like 20 bucks and you will get a spare hydrometer. trust me you will go through more glass hydrometers than tubes.

Alex.Tas said:
just buy a new one.
thanks,

do you know of anywhere in the Sydney CBD?

or anywhere on Sydney's Northside is open past 6:30pm tonight or tomorrow?

Dunno sorry mate, i live in hobart. I'm sure google will tell you where to find a homebrew store. Big W/Kmart probably even have them. Most of the site sponsors will stock them and you could get express post delivery.

yeah, point kinda is that my LHBS sells the tubes for $3.50ea, so just looking for a good old fashioned Aussie ingenuity solution till I can get to him...

Vic Basement was a fail, so will just will do the PVC tube thing that danestead suggested (all I need to read is that it is stable from yesterday...)

Closest to Sydney CBD is probably Daves in North Sydney and I'm pretty sure he's shut by 5 and can't recall if he's reopened post Christmas yet anyway.

Sorry. Not a particularly helpful post

A 300ml plastic fizzy drink bottle

Something like this only a little bit cleaner

eb3cfdb8af3cc830c558943c71088b1b.jpg

Easy fix, buy some Berocca, these tabs come in an aluminium tube, fill close to the top and your away.( will need the smaller hydro) Extra benefit are the tabs.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back