British Ale Competition 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im gettin excited for this, my mild is 3/4 of the way thru fermentation, ready for my bitter to hit the slurry!

Im gettin excited for this, my mild is 3/4 of the way thru fermentation, ready for my bitter to hit the slurry!

I'm running late! Might brew my ordinary or special bitter on Sunday if my
brewery is back together by then after the house move.

I suppose I'd better not make the brew too good. It wouldn't look good
if the competition organiser won a prize :lol:

I've been meaning to visit Oscar's Ale House (the venue of the competition).
I really don't have an excuse though since my work is near the Belgrave
line and Oscar's is a short train ride away. This means I can sample the
entire local and imported beer range. My liver won't thank me for it though!

Looking forward to May 17!

I'm running late! Might brew my ordinary or special bitter on Sunday if my
brewery is back together by then after the house move.

I suppose I'd better not make the brew too good. It wouldn't look good
if the competition organiser won a prize :lol:

I've been meaning to visit Oscar's Ale House (the venue of the competition).
I really don't have an excuse though since my work is near the Belgrave
line and Oscar's is a short train ride away. This means I can sample the
entire local and imported beer range. My liver won't thank me for it though!

Looking forward to May 17!

Maybe, just maybe I'll brew this Sunday. The shed clearing fairies
are hard at work today while I'm at work not working as hard :p

Is it possible for me to enter several of my beers into the same catagory?
I'm planning to make a second ESB this weekend, can I enter them both, or do I have to choose between the two?

Looking foward to entering my first comp. :D

Mr.Moonshine

Is it possible for me to enter several of my beers into the same catagory?
I'm planning to make a second ESB this weekend, can I enter them both, or do I have to choose between the two?

Looking foward to entering my first comp. :D

Mr.Moonshine

Hi,

As this is the first year Melbourne Brewers are running the British Ale Competition we have
decided not to restrict entries so you may enter both your ESB's.

Good luck in the competition.

Cheers

Superhero

Competition Organiser

yep... this is going to be a cracking comp, sampled my ESB on the weekend - nice and malty. Have a Northern English Brown about to hit keg and bottles shortly as well.

Brendo

yep... this is going to be a cracking comp, sampled my ESB on the weekend - nice and malty. Have a Northern English Brown about to hit keg and bottles shortly as well.

Brendo

My ESB (which was supposed to be a best bitter but my efficiency went through the roof) hit the harvested slurry of a Wyesat 1968 London ESB from a mild i just kegged. Hydro sample going into the fermenter was quite clean, heres hoping i have a kickass ferment ready for the comp. Only question is, should i dry hop? Decisions, Decisions!

Oh no, I haven't brewed my award winning beer yet ...

Time is running out. Luckily British Ales don't need to be highly carbonated :p

Best of luck to all of you. I'll have to see if mine is even ready on time!

I'm going to find out about food on the day of the competition soon. Stay tuned!

See you at Oscar's Ale House on May 17

Less than a month to go now! If you want to enter, now is the time to get one down i'd say especially if you need to bottle carb!

Well my Best bitter turned ESB has gone through a quick ferment, pitched on sunday and i'd say shes finished by today/early tomorrow. Was at 1.020 lastnight... Damn i love this London ESB yeast! I'm still weighing up the dry hop method, Keg or Primary!?!!

Decisions Decisions!

Anyone know the deadline to get entries in @ the sponsors?

Hey Superhero,
you probably don't have to worry about winning the comp if it's truly an "ordinary bitter" ;)
(I always wondered at the terminology there, entering a competition with a beer of that name)

4Star, this is just my opinion, but I expect you would have a better chance at comp without the dry hops. The dry hops will mask the malt character (particularly in aroma), and the beers in that category with the strongest english malt character will be the high scorers. Now you just gotta decide if you're brewing for the points or the pleasure! :) That's just my 2c.
FWIW I agree about the 1968 which I just used to make a mild also - awesome yeast.

you probably don't have to worry about winning the comp if it's truly an "ordinary bitter"

The dry hops will mask the malt character (particularly in aroma), and the beers in that category with the strongest english malt character will be the high scorers.

Ha, just call it a 'standard bitter' like the rest of em and you are in for a chance! :p

Cheers B&T. Its abit of a tough one for me as im planning to enter it just above cask carbonation (like my mild) and there are plenty of 'real ales' that are dry hopped in the cask... Ohhh i just dont know!!!!! It wll also throw off the clarity if i dry hop too! Hmm... maybe i will bottle 2 without dryhops, Dry hop my keg (like planned) and taste side by side, whatever wins in my books will be entered. (besides, appearance is only a few points). ;)

Looking at BJCP i might have some chances with hop aroma:malt aroma if i dry hop.
AROMA: Hop aroma moderately-high to moderately-low (can be almost anything) Medium to medium-high malt aroma(heres hoping my malt aroma is up there too!)

As for the 1968, my 'mild' is quite a stunner... i just hope she goes well. As the style is so broad it could place anywhere! Luck of the flight i recon.

Thanks for the Feedback mate!

Cheers and beers! :icon_cheers:

Less than a month to go now! If you want to enter, now is the time to get one down i'd say especially if you need to bottle carb!

Well my Best bitter turned ESB has gone through a quick ferment, pitched on sunday and i'd say shes finished by today/early tomorrow. Was at 1.020 lastnight... Damn i love this London ESB yeast! I'm still weighing up the dry hop method, Keg or Primary!?!!

Decisions Decisions!

Anyone know the deadline to get entries in @ the sponsors?

Hi Fourstar,

The deadline for shop entries is close of business for the particular shop on
Saturday, May 16.

This and other tasty morsels of information can be found at http://www.melbournebrewers.org/

The deadline for shop entries is close of business for the particular shop on
Saturday, May 16.
This and other tasty morsels of information can be found at http://www.melbournebrewers.org/

My submission will probably be in at greensy HBS next weekend anyways so i'm likely to be more than safe ;)

Trying to get me to join MB'ers are we?!?! Dangling the carrot?!? :lol:

with the scottish, it it set at 70-? I have a scottish heavy i wouldnt mind entering.

I also have a brown/dark bitter that im tryin to figure out what style it fits into.

with the scottish, it it set at 70-? I have a scottish heavy i wouldnt mind entering.

I also have a brown/dark bitter that im tryin to figure out what style it fits into.

It is just the styles listed, but nothing to stop you throwing your hat in the ring... worst they can do is say not quite to style, but you will still get some good feedback.

Brendo

good point brendo

ok I'll bottle a scottish heavy and an english ordinary bitter. it will be my first comp. should be interesting

It is just the styles listed, but nothing to stop you throwing your hat in the ring... worst they can do is say not quite to style, but you will still get some good feedback.
Brendo

The only difference b/w the 3 style wise is the ABV and IBU.
If your IBU is b/w 15-25 you are in the game 'stylistically'. Unfortunatly the ABV does not overlap however. If its not intensely malty it may go down well. as a 70/-

Hey Brendo, if the Club meetings weren't in the arse end of nowhere (Ferntree Gully and i live in Abbotsford) i might be interested. I think the Worthogs are the closest to me. Meh, im happy being independant atm. ;)

Hey Brendo, if the Club meetings weren't in the arse end of nowhere (Ferntree Gully and i live in Abbotsford) i might be interested. I think the Worthogs are the closest to me. Meh, im happy being independant atm. ;)

yeah it is a fair point... fortunately for me Boronia is only a quick 15 minute drive - so nice and easy. i think that puts me at the navel end of nowhere :(

Brendo

Latest posts

Back