British Ale Competition 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim_mortensen

Reaction score
British_Ale_Comp_Banner.jpg

The Melbourne Brewers is holding the inaugural British Ale Competition, at Oscar's Ale House, Belgrave, Victoria on Sunday May 17th 2009 from 1pm. A chance to celebrate the many fine ales from the United Kingdom.

Entries can be dropped off at The Brewers Den, Greensborough Homebrewing, or Grain and Grape by COB Saturday May 16th - or just bring them in on the day of the competition.

The are 2 Categories, covering beers such as the bitters, brown ale, Scottish ale and Irish Red.

Category 1
  • Mild
  • Northern English Brown
  • Scottish Ale (70/-)
  • Irish Red
Category 2
  • Ordinary Bitter
  • Special Bitter
  • Extra Special Bitter (ESB)
Where:
Oscar's Ale House, 7 Bayview Road, Belgrave, Vic
Melways Map Ref 75 G10
Phone: 03 9754 8002​
Entry Form and Style Guidelines can be found at http://www.melbournebrewers.org/, or download the entry form attached. View attachment British_Ale_Competition_2009_Entry_Form.pdf

Tim Mortensen
The Melbourne Brewers

Melbourne_Brewers_Logo.gif

This is a great idea for a competition.

I might try to work out how to get a couple of entries down to Melbourne.

Can you put in the Calendar please?

BOG

Got my 1st mild planned for production this weekend. I might just enter it for shits and giggles!

This is a great idea for a competition.

I might try to work out how to get a couple of entries down to Melbourne.

Are interstate entries encouraged for this type of thing? Would like to be involved in this one

Are interstate entries encouraged for this type of thing? Would like to be involved in this one

I reckon London to a brick on, its encouraged, but its another thing getting your entry in via post, courier etc.

Yep - we're happy to have interstaters on board - the more the merrier!

Andy

Hello Brewers,

Just moved house but I'm keen to brew something for the new comp.

Dunno what yet. Maybe an ordinary bitter?

I'm actually the comp. organiser so if there are any questions
please shoot them my way.

Looking forward to a successful competition.

Get brewing!!

Hi Aaron,

The Irish Red is as British as the Scottish 70/ !

Maybe we should've called it the United Kingdom Ale Competition
but that doesn't have the same ring to it!!

Seriously it's more to do with the substyle groupings in the
style guidelines more than anything. Style guidelines and
entry forms can be downloaded from www.melbournebrewers.org

If there are any other questions please let me know.

Hi Aaron,

The Irish Red is as British as the Scottish 70/ !

Maybe we should've called it the United Kingdom Ale Competition
but that doesn't have the same ring to it!!

Seriously it's more to do with the substyle groupings in the
style guidelines more than anything. Style guidelines and
entry forms can be downloaded from www.melbournebrewers.org

If there are any other questions please let me know.

Ireland isn't part of the united kingdom, but ppumpy is right it is part of the british isles(slthough i don't like to admit it). thanks for the link too, think ill dl the document and have a read.

Aaron

Just a quickie question,
There are 2 categories, normally SOME comps, you cannot enter twice in the one category. i.e Ordinary Bitter and Special Bitter is in the same category, can I enter both? Why were the best British beers not included, Porter, stout (you did mention Irish).
Good Luck with it all.

Ireland isn't part of the united kingdom, but ppumpy is right it is part of the british isles(slthough i don't like to admit it). thanks for the link too, think ill dl the document and have a read.

Aaron

I realise you guys know what youre on about, but for others, this is so easy to understand, when trying to remember the diff between, British Isles, United Kingdom and Great Britian.

uk.gif

And just to really play with your head - Only people in the United Kingdom are British Citizens. Basically all but Irish folk, but not the Northern Irish. :D

So where does that leave us when making British Ales? I guess if they make Irish Reds in Northern Ireland, then these folk are British, which means it counts :)

I realise you guys know what youre on about, but for others, this is so easy to understand, when trying to remember the diff between, British Isles, United Kingdom and Great Britian.

View attachment 26219

And just to really play with your head - Only people in the United Kingdom are British Citizens. Basically all but Irish folk, but not the Northern Irish. :D

So where does that leave us when making British Ales? I guess if they make Irish Reds in Northern Ireland, then these folk are British, which means it counts :)

Although it appears the term is somewhat controversial or least anachronistic these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles

Just a quickie question,
There are 2 categories, normally SOME comps, you cannot enter twice in the one category. i.e Ordinary Bitter and Special Bitter is in the same category, can I enter both? Why were the best British beers not included, Porter, stout (you did mention Irish).
Good Luck with it all.

Hi Haysie,

You can enter and Ordinary and a Special Bitter.

There are no restrictions for this first year, but depending on how many entries we get there might be in subsequent years.

There are no Stout and Porters because that category is already the main focus of the Stout Extravaganza comp.

We are considering a third category in subsequent years for stronger ales (Barelywine, Strong Scottish Ale, Old Ale) depending on the response and support of this years comp.

Hope to see you down there.

BTW for all those who have not been to Oscar's Ale House yet, you really should go down and check it out. Brad has done a fantastic job on setting up the place, and has hand picked some of the best Australian micro beers available.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Haysie,

You can enter and Ordinary and a Special Bitter.

There are no restrictions for this first year, but depending on how many entries we get there might be in subsequent years.

There are no Stout and Porters because that category is already the main focus of the Stout Extravaganza comp.

We are considering a third category in subsequent years for stronger ales (Barelywine, Strong Scottish Ale, Old Ale) depending on the response and support of this years comp.

Hope to see you down there.

BTW for all those who have not been to Oscar's Ale House yet, you really should go down and check it out. Brad has done a fantastic job on setting up the place, and has hand picked some of the best Australian micro beers available.

Cheers

Chris

Chris ,

Is an English IPA excluded ?

Pumpy

Chris ,

Is an English IPA excluded ?

Pumpy

Hi Pumpy,

English IPA is excluded. Again it was considered that this style is already adequately catered for by Worthogs - Pale Ale Mania comp ( as well as Vicbrew and Beerfest ).

Styles that are include this year are:

Category 1

Mild
Northern English Brown
Scottish Ale 70/-
Irish Red

Category 2

Ordinary bitter
Best bitter
Extra Special Bitter

Cheers
Chris