Brisbane

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbog

Beer Bog
Reaction score
Hi all from Brisbane,

I'll be in your neck of the woods for the next 3 weeks, staying in the city down off Queen St Mall. (Charlotte St) I was wondering where there are some good watering holes (within walking distance) that I can sample. Thanks in advance. :beerbang:

You should come along to the Xmas Case Swap :) Admittedly, it's not close to the city (1 1/2 drive) but I'm sure a lift would be on offer....

Otherwise, in the city there's The Brewhouse at Wooloongabba, over the bridge there is Archive at West End (huge selection of beers), or in Fortitude Valley is Kerbside.

Cheers

and the Bitter Suite down New Farm way.
and the German Club, Schneider Weisse might still be on tap + you just missed out on Aventinus, the Alt is drinking nicely.

Also the Belgian Bier Cafe in the city, expensive but a good range of tasty drops.

There's also the Laneway Bar in the city, it's smallish but has a few not so common beers.

The International does a very respectable Irish Red and a few others that aren't too bad. My favourite is the Geronimo Malt Liquor 7.5%ABV on tap.

Story

Met some AHBers there a few months ago and I had a couple of pints of Geronimo. Tasted a bit sweet and thick - anyway the guys started to arrive and I put them onto the Geronimo. After a couple more pints I was starting to feel a bit woozy and getting quite flushed and a bit disoriented and thought shit I've got the flu coming on. Anyway when one of the guys went to the bar the barman said "I notice everyone on your table is swilling Geronimo, do you realise it's 7.5%?

:icon_drunk: :icon_drunk: :icon_drunk: :icon_drunk:

Drink responsibly

/Story

The International does a very respectable Irish Red and a few others that aren't too bad. My favourite is the Geronimo Malt Liquor 7.5%ABV on tap.

Story

Met some AHBers there a few months ago and I had a couple of pints of Geronimo. Tasted a bit sweet and thick - anyway the guys started to arrive and I put them onto the Geronimo. After a couple more pints I was starting to feel a bit woozy and getting quite flushed and a bit disoriented and thought shit I've got the flu coming on. Anyway when one of the guys went to the bar the barman said "I notice everyone on your table is swilling Geronimo, do you realise it's 7.5%?

:icon_drunk: :icon_drunk: :icon_drunk: :icon_drunk:

Drink responsibly

/Story

I think its supposed to be a bock, last batch I tried a few weeks ago wasn't up to standard but the Irish Red was fine as was the Saturday steak special.

Thanks guys, I would love to get down to Craftbrewer one afternoon. How far is it from the city and does it have public transport there? :beerbang:

Thanks guys, I would love to get down to Craftbrewer one afternoon. How far is it from the city and does it have public transport there? :beerbang:
:lol:
:lol:
er, not really.
Someone may be able to give you a lift.

If you are on some sort of work related expenses thingo then get a train from Central or Roma Street to Birkdale and grab a cab. Or take a bus from Brisbane but also ensure you have a cut lunch with you and plenty of reading material or a good selection on your MP3 player and take a good pee before you set out . :blink:

Edit, in Sydney Terms, Capalaba would be maybe the equivalent of Taren Point or somewhere similar - not too accessible.

Edit: so what are you doing in Bris, and how do we get a crew together for a pissup or two?

If you are on some sort of work related expenses thingo then get a train from Central or Roma Street to Birkdale and grab a cab. Or take a bus from Brisbane but also ensure you have a cut lunch with you and plenty of reading material or a good selection on your MP3 player and take a good pee before you set out . :blink:

Edit, in Sydney Terms, Capalaba would be maybe the equivalent of Taren Point or somewhere similar - not too accessible.

Edit: so what are you doing in Bris, and how do we get a crew together for a pissup or two?

brisbane-bikes_400.jpg

you know you want to ride to capalabaaaaaaa

Thanks Bribie, that puts it more into perspective. I'm there teaching for 3 weeks, basically Monday to Friday, I come home on Friday night, back on Sunday arvo. I'm staying in the city on Charlotte. :beerbang:

brisbane-bikes_400.jpg

you know you want to ride to capalabaaaaaaa
Maheel, don't joke, I have a road bike and usually do 30 - 50 km at a time so a bike wouldn't be a problem. (getting there anyway). :beerbang:

The Polish Club is worth a look: http://www.polonia.org.au/ if in Milton but the Scratch is hard to go past. Was just there today and the guys seem very keen and have a great focus on craft beer.

Also UQ's Staff Club on campus at UQ is still good for craft beer but only until 23 Dec - they close permanently after that.

Cheers,

M

I think its supposed to be a bock, last batch I tried a few weeks ago wasn't up to standard but the Irish Red was fine as was the Saturday steak special.

I didn't quite realise how far away it was until I went for a leisurely 40min drive today.

Quickest method would likely be helicopter.

Thanks Bribie, that puts it more into perspective. I'm there teaching for 3 weeks, basically Monday to Friday, I come home on Friday night, back on Sunday arvo. I'm staying in the city on Charlotte. :beerbang:

There are buses that go up to Spring Hill from the city and will drop you near the International, worth it for the $5 pints, dunno what the numer is. The 199 bus goes to Archive at West End and going the other way you get close to Bitter Suite.

There are buses that go up to Spring Hill from the city and will drop you near the International, worth it for the $5 pints, dunno what the numer is. The 199 bus goes to Archive at West End and going the other way you get close to Bitter Suite.
I can vouch for the 199, very easy to get from Bitter Suite to West End, then back to central to get the train to Milton!

Back