Brisbane

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brisbane has 2 new bars serving craft beer.

Super Wotnot http://www.facebook.com/superwhatnot?ref=pb on Burnett Lane and Yardbird Ale House http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yardbird-ale...9947394?sk=wall in the valley.

Haven't been to them yet.

Went to Yardbird a couple of days ago. It's OK, nothing special. Beer choice is OK, they had Coopers, White Rabbit, My Wife's Bitter and something else on tap. Spoke to the barman and he said that they have only been open 3 weeks and hoping to get more craft beer on tap soon. Sunday special of $5 schooners and 50c wings are worth a look in.

Paid the Yardbird a visit yesterday afternoon. Nice bar on the 199 bus route! A good selection of Cooper's, Little Creatures, & Burleigh beers on tap. Food is good! Ailie from the old days at the Platform was there and I think she manages the place.

Paid the Yardbird a visit yesterday afternoon. Nice bar on the 199 bus route! A good selection of Cooper's, Little Creatures, & Burleigh beers on tap. Food is good! Ailie from the old days at the Platform was there and I think she manages the place.
She does indeed manage it.
Food is very good. I urge you all to try the sweet potato fries!
Good value food too. One pizza and the fries was enough for two people for $22...
Beer range is standard from the range mentioned above but you can be assured of finding something good.
Super What Not is a very funky little bar. No eftpos yet, no food yet, but a really cool little laneway bar in the Melbourne style. Loving the emergence of these types of places!!!

I'll be heading in to west end this afternoon to meet my wife before the cricket if anyone's keen for a quick one...

She does indeed manage it.
Food is very good. I urge you all to try the sweet potato fries!
Good value food too. One pizza and the fries was enough for two people for $22...
Beer range is standard from the range mentioned above but you can be assured of finding something good.
Super What Not is a very funky little bar. No eftpos yet, no food yet, but a really cool little laneway bar in the Melbourne style. Loving the emergence of these types of places!!!

They seem to take care of the beer as the Rogers was tasting good the other day. Hope to make it down to the city this weekend for a mini tour.

I dropped in too, unfortunately for me the taps are contracted for the medium term.

Anyone heard about a Pub with Crafty stocks out near Jacobs Well.
Read it somewhere, cant think..........

Yardbird is pretty awesome. I mean the beer isn't as good as say Archive or the Scratch, but it's got awesome food and good beer.

There are six taps as follows

1 - Coopers
2 - Burleigh Brewing Co
3 - Montieths (beer)
4 - Montieths (cider)
5 - White Rabbit
6 - Little Creatures

They rotate beers on each tap but stick to those brewers from what I understand. When I was there it was:

1 - CPA
2 - 70's style pale
3 - Golden Lager
4 - Who cares, it's cider
5 - White ale
6 - Rogers

The wings, pizza and burgers are TOP NOTCH. The sliders are actually quite big! great place.

Sundays are 50c wings and $5 schooners

Oh..Ok. I thought the Yardbird was the place out near Jacobs Well.
Thanks anyway mate.

oh sorry mate i see what you mean now, nah unfortunately i have no info on that

Yardbird is pretty awesome. I mean the beer isn't as good as say Archive or the Scratch, but it's got awesome food and good beer. The wings, pizza and burgers are TOP NOTCH. The sliders are actually quite big! great place.

Sundays are 50c wings and $5 schooners
Yeah, enjoyed the Burleigh 28 Pale in those $5 schooners last Sunday along with a great steak sandwich!

I went to my shitty local pub last night and schooners of Carlton Draught were $5.15!

I didn't realise mega swill was so expensive now. It wasn't even a gentrified pub, just a shit hole full of workers.

So $5 for schooners of real beer at Yardbird is an awesome deal.

The International does a very respectable Irish Red and a few others that aren't too bad. My favourite is the Geronimo Malt Liquor 7.5%ABV on tap.

Story

Met some AHBers there a few months ago and I had a couple of pints of Geronimo. Tasted a bit sweet and thick - anyway the guys started to arrive and I put them onto the Geronimo. After a couple more pints I was starting to feel a bit woozy and getting quite flushed and a bit disoriented and thought shit I've got the flu coming on. Anyway when one of the guys went to the bar the barman said "I notice everyone on your table is swilling Geronimo, do you realise it's 7.5%?

:icon_drunk: :icon_drunk:

Drink responsibly

/Story

The Saturday $10 king island steak deal has finished :( - boo hiss!
Replaced with the all-day menu 2-4-1 deal on Saturdays and Sundays, which is still good value with a few cheap pints.

I went to my shitty local pub last night and schooners of Carlton Draught were $5.15!

I didn't realise mega swill was so expensive now. It wasn't even a gentrified pub, just a shit hole full of workers.

So $5 for schooners of real beer at Yardbird is an awesome deal.
Yeah, the $5 Schooners at the Sunday Yardbird is a good deal. Would rather pay that for an LCPA than $5.10 for a schooner of Fat Yak at Finnigan's Chin in Keppera (It's the best they have on tap next to the Guinness & Kilkenny). Of course, the only reason I do have one there from time-to-time is it's easily accessible on the way home from work, right next to 1st Choice, a good fish & chips shop, and a Woolworths.

The Hideaway is quite the nice place!

The International does a very respectable Irish Red and a few others that aren't too bad. My favourite is the Geronimo Malt Liquor 7.5%ABV on tap.

Story

Met some AHBers there a few months ago and I had a couple of pints of Geronimo. Tasted a bit sweet and thick - anyway the guys started to arrive and I put them onto the Geronimo. After a couple more pints I was starting to feel a bit woozy and getting quite flushed and a bit disoriented and thought shit I've got the flu coming on. Anyway when one of the guys went to the bar the barman said "I notice everyone on your table is swilling Geronimo, do you realise it's 7.5%?

:icon_drunk: :icon_drunk: :icon_drunk: :icon_drunk:

Drink responsibly

/Story
Slipped up there on Wednesday arvo after work for a few quickies, the walk up Spring Hill did me and my thirst some good. Nothing much has changed on the in- house brewery front, so just like the good old days but perhaps quite sensibly avoided that surprise tap (had to work next day!).

With all this happening in the Valley it's sad to see that the Elephant and Wheelbarrow seem to have removed all their UK beer taps and now just serve Megaswill and BUL - they seem to have lost interest in being an English themed pub and just chasing the bogan / clubbers at the weekend. Used to get a drinkable pint of Old Speckled Hen there, in fact the session at the International I posted earlier, I had a couple of OSH first then got a cab up to the International, so was well primed for a few pints of Geronimo :beerbang:

Back