Brisbane Area Grain Bulk Buy. Jan 2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again thanks to Bradsbrew for the bulk buy. Some complain about it, and some actually do them. Don't get put off by it, thanks heaps for the work you have done on it and the extra delivery of the grain; very much appreciated :beerbang:

Now what should I brew up with ekul's grain :icon_cheers:

Thanks

QldKev

I didn't know that this buy was on (would have bought a BB Pils and an Ale but I'll leave for next time) but just a bit of grandstanding:

Personally I wouldn't even consider half a sack of something - most spec grains are only 5 or 10 % of the grain bill typically, so even half a sack of Carapils or Crystal is going to risk freshness problems, especially in SEQ. I if you are a dedicated 30% Munich or 50% wheat hefe fan then get a whole sack, surely. If you want to do some horse trading then do it well outside the buy, swapping at BABBs meetings or visiting each others houses whatever.
I can guarantee that in future buys I won't be frgn around with half a sack of anything. The bulk buy should be sacks only.

Brad was dead right about the Gateway being a carpark at peak hours - it's really unfair to expect a full time person who travels away a lot, especially Northside, bearing the full burden. Being semi retired I'll put my hand up for next buy - I would guess looking at maybe July when guys are looking for fresh stocks for the comps - I've experienced bulk buys such as the Chinee hops and it's interesting work, quite happy to do so next time.

However as the hops exercise taught me, there should be a very firm cutoff point and this revolves around the "lets go for another pallet" thing. Previous Brisbane buys have failed on this point. I feel personally that a buy should be one pallet. Get in, do the job then get out like a bank job. That second pallet can break the deal and can cause three times more hassle than just one. If the buys go one pallet at a time, then turnover is quicker and the buy can be offered again sooner so that anyone who missed out or just didn't need grain can look forward to another stab in a fairly short time span.

2c

I am just waiting on permission from Dane to start another BBuy thread. It will have simple rules and firm cut off dates for orders, then confirm with suppliers, then a firm cut off date for payment. As there will be a good amount of time between start of buy and pick up I will be able to state the pick up date at the start of the buy.

There will be a couple of other things as well but will put that in the new thread.

Cheers

Back