Brigalow Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davecambo

Reaction score
anyone able to tell me where the 23L mark is on the brigalow fermenters? my mate has one to give me but it has no markings on the outside to show the 23L mark.

anyone able to tell me where the 23L mark is on the brigalow fermenters? my mate has one to give me but it has no markings on the outside to show the 23L mark.

Does it have any markings? If not then I'd suggest calibrating it using a 1L jug and water. Ie add a liter of water, draw a line on the outside of the fermenter with a permanent pen, add another liter...etc

If it has some markings then is there enough to be able to make a good guess?

When ensuring my fermenter's litre markings were accurate, I found both of the Cooper's 30 litres were not. ie. it takes six litres to reach the 5litre mark on the side of the fermenter. eg. when I fill to the 23 litre mark there really is twenty-four litres contained.

Make sure one's measuring container is accurate too...

Does it have any markings? If not then I'd suggest calibrating it using a 1L jug and water. Ie add a liter of water, draw a line on the outside of the fermenter with a permanent pen, add another liter...etc

If it has some markings then is there enough to be able to make a good guess?

This is what I did.

Permanent marker and 15 minutes, give or take.

Usually there is a seam around 23 litres but it doesn't hurt to check, particularly considering you don't always have to brew 23 Litres.

I have one of these old fellas and have only recently done a brew to 23L - I usually go around 21L. On mine there is a line around where the 23L ended up getting to. It's sort of a raised section. I am guessing this is why it is there.

I think Brigalows are the same as this one, the texta mark is at 23l on the moulding line[ theres 25l in there at the moment] Cheers DSC_0046.JPG

thanks very much all! that makes it easier. i couldnt measure it myself as it was not at my house. it will be soon though!!!!

Never checked mine, but 23l should be 23Kg on the bathroom scales less the weight of the fermenter. If you wanted to double check thatthe marks are correct.

FNL.

FnL

Mate, your a thinker. I use a set for my air-con work so you can zero them with the fermentor on it and fill from their :)

Hey Wisey,

You have to think, that's what Home Brewing is all about. But I never thought of zeroing the scales! I would just subtract. Your a thinker too!

And after thinking, you can have a rest and a beer!

FNL.

I always stick the "stick-on" thermometer with the top exactly at 23l.

I always stick the "stick-on" thermometer with the top exactly at 23l.
Kinda defeats the purpose of the thermometer though, doesn't it?
I'd be surprised if you get an accurate "average temperature" reading at that height. Heat rises, ale yeast top-fermenting activity, etc.

Fair point - but the thermometer is quite long - so the 18 degree mark is pretty close to the middle.

Never checked mine, but 23l should be 23Kg on the bathroom scales less the weight of the fermenter. If you wanted to double check thatthe marks are correct.

FNL.

Correct! Otherwise if you happen to have another fermenter that has the marks, then you can fill it and transfer it to the unmarked one litre by litre (if you wish) while you make the marks. That is pretty much what I did to one mayo bucket but only made marks at every 5 litres.

I'd be surprised if you get an accurate "average temperature" reading at that height.

I'd be surprised if it was accurate at any height. Best to think of these stickers as just a guide, innit?

Latest posts

Back