Brigalow bottling wands are cheap shit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewy

Reaction score
As the title says, absolute shit product. I've now had 2 springs go, both on the very first bottle of bottling day. Avoid them like a ladyboy when you're drunk at 3am in Patpong.

One upside is that I bottled using food grade tubing & found it worked rather well. Much quicker if a little messier. Anyone else bottle this way?

Brigalow comes from the Old French word 'brigaleau' which actually translates to 'penny grubbing waste product from the arsehole of the homebrewing industry'.

Hey nothing wrong with Ladyboys at Patpong.

On topic, I've only ever bought one Brigalow bottling wand, in an emergency, and it wouldn't fit into a regular tap / Bunnings tap.
It's a wonder that Brigalow are still going. The original manager, Grant Sampson, left to found Morgans and the two companies are still more or less in the same suburbs.

The beer kits are crap, the yeast is crap and the rest is re labelled junk.

Have Brigalow hydrometer it works better then the other hydrometers i have used because its not broken yet problem is that it only goes to 1040 but $2 when Woolworth stopped selling home brew probably right price.
On Friday the local Woolworth started selling limited home brew coopers original series at same price as buying from coopers.
Have used food grade tubing to siphon but not out of tap , bottom of fermenter and works well but the tube needs not to be too big to control flow.

Not defending Brigalow products in general, but I have never seen a Brigalow bottling wand with a spring. There is a version of the blue bottler, supplied in Coopers kits, that has a spring. Both versions of the blue bottler are rubbish and I've never had one that sealed.
I use a Brigalow bottling wand on tubing with an easy siphon as I find this is the easiest way even though the bottler fits my FV taps and don't have a problem with sealing.

Might not have had a spring but both of them shat themselves on the very first bottle. Ends came off & beer flooded everywhere.

Cheap shit. Hope they go broke

The tube from fermenter tap to bottle worked well

stewy said:
Might not have had a spring but both of them shat themselves on the very first bottle. Ends came off & beer flooded everywhere.

End came off because you didn't push it on firmly enough.

Incorrect. Any other assumptions you'd like to make?

It came assembled already, I didn't have to push the end on.

It is simply cheap shit.

Do you have shares in the company??

Can anyone recommend a good bottling wand?

I just get the no name ones with the blue spring-tip from LHBS .. I have 2 that have done well for over several years. I keg, but whip them out a few times a year to bottle off for competition entries and case swaps and they are good and reliable.

I had a couple of cheapos from Big W that I used for years. No spring and they didn't seal 100% but rack up say 6-10 bottles ready and a couple of drips between bottles doesn't matter. Turn off the tap while you get the next lot of bottles ready. The last couple I got from the LHBS didn't push together firmly enough and fell apart in the bottle resulting in beer everywhere - there's definitely some crap ones out there. I keg now but still bottle the excess from each batch. I'm currently using the blue 2 piece ones (no spring) which came with some of those 1/2 size coopers craft brewery kits that were being sold out from Target for $10 (down from about $60) (the same ones they had at Aldi not too long ago) and they seem fine.

I love the brigalo bottle filler. Mine is called a brew extractor on the packet.

Bought extra ones since I was worried they would move onto a different design.

Mine have NO springs. Are solid white plastic in 4 parts and fill bottles very very quickly. Everybody I've suggested it to love them.

I used a coopers blue bottler for 15 years. No drips but was very slow to fill.

Only problem with the brew extractor is when pulling apart to sanitize you have to remember exactly how to put back together. And push back together hard.

As for the rest of their products such as kits I am AG but they were pretty poor 15 years ago.

I bottle hundreds of bottles each month and it saves a lot of time.

Bribie G said:
I just get the no name ones with the blue spring-tip from LHBS .. I have 2 that have done well for over several years. I keg, but whip them out a few times a year to bottle off for competition entries and case swaps and they are good and reliable.
Yep, likewise. Got the same thing. Cost me $5 or so from the LHBS. I do find unless I turn off the tap when I'm bottling then it does leak but otherwise it works as it should do.

stewy said:
This is what 'leccy tape and sanitiser were invented for.

And alcohol .... To help you cope with large portions of your batch flowing onto the garage floor.

Bottle plungers. I've got that BigW one. I think its Brigalow. Its so cheap it doesn't even have a spring thing with any o rings.
Its the most reliable one. Its just so simple. Three plastic parts. It locks with just gravity pressure.
That's the one I use in preference.

Now that you mention it ..... They are shit. Everyone I've used leak like a sieve. I'm just used to it now so I have all the bottles primed and lined up and at least one kid, preferably two on the production line to minimise spillage.

Mine drips between bottles. But I have them primed and ready to go. It adds a up to about a cup over 30 bottles. I just let it drip into a bucket the couple of seconds between bottles.

The wider calibre and faster flow is what attracts me to it over the spring ones.

I'd rather save 20 mins and throw away 200 mls of beer.

Curly79 said:
Now that you mention it ..... They are shit. Everyone I've used leak like a sieve. I'm just used to it now so I have all the bottles primed and lined up and at least one kid, preferably two on the production line to minimise spillage.

Markbeer said:
I love the brigalo bottle filler. Mine is called a brew extractor on the packet.

Bought extra ones since I was worried they would move onto a different design.

Mine have NO springs. Are solid white plastic in 4 parts and fill bottles very very quickly. Everybody I've suggested it to love them.

I used a coopers blue bottler for 15 years. No drips but was very slow to fill.

Only problem with the brew extractor is when pulling apart to sanitize you have to remember exactly how to put back together. And push back together hard.

As for the rest of their products such as kits I am AG but they were pretty poor 15 years ago.

I bottle hundreds of bottles each month and it saves a lot of time.
+1

Latest posts

Back