Brewshare Night In Sydney & Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a couple of weeks ago, any pics, info etc?

Hey Wolfy, we put a report on our blog a day or two afterwards- http://thelocaltaphouse.blogspot.com/2010/...are-august.html

Given the great turnouts in Sydney, I'm still disappointed by numbers in Melbourne given we ask every homebrew club to inform their members around Melbourne and I put reminders up here on AHB. Maybe most keen homebrewers in Melb are too far out of town to come in for these quarterly events, despite the $100 prize on offer. Any theories welcome!

If support for the night in Melb doesn't increase for the next one or two events (St Kilda's next BrewShare is Tuesday Nov 23rd), we'll probably ditch it but keep Sydney's BrewShare going..

Hey Wolfy, we put a report on our blog a day or two afterwards- http://thelocaltaphouse.blogspot.com/2010/...are-august.html

Given the great turnouts in Sydney, I'm still disappointed by numbers in Melbourne given we ask every homebrew club to inform their members around Melbourne and I put reminders up here on AHB. Maybe most keen homebrewers in Melb are too far out of town to come in for these quarterly events, despite the $100 prize on offer. Any theories welcome!

If support for the night in Melb doesn't increase for the next one or two events (St Kilda's next BrewShare is Tuesday Nov 23rd), we'll probably ditch it but keep Sydney's BrewShare going..

I'm just getting into AG brewing. I live within walking distance of the TapHouse so I'd definitely be interested in coming to the next one in November. I might even be able to bring a pale ale or sweet stout provided they turn out OK :D

Steve,

One possible factor is the the night the St. Kilda Brewshare is normally held, the first Tuesday of the month. This happens to nearly coincide with the Bayside Brewers monthly meetings, the first Wednesday of the month.

For those of us with kids and "non-understanding" partners, getting two nights in a row out on the beers is a near impossibility. Makes me wistful for my younger days as a single lad...

Edit: If it weren't for that, I'd definitely be there

I understand where you are coming from and did attended the previous Melb Brewshare night - mostly to support the event more than any other reason.

However, my theory as to why the numbers are low in Melb is all personal (and yes I suck at advertising things): I was not even aware a date had been sent for the next one in Melb, there is no information about it (that I can find) in this thread or elsewhere on the forums, I'm not aware of what beer style is being promoted, nor can I find any information about it on your blog site (after searching for 5 mins). I don't use twitter, facebook or whatever other method you expect to use to keep track of what is happening, I'm not a regular member of any brewclub, and I live too far away to be a 'regular' at your establishment. I know this sounds like a rant, but I was laughed at for suggesting it previously: if you want me to attend your function then you need to advertise it to me and not expect me to know about about it via some other way that is obviously not working.

Depending on what style of beer will be featured, 3 months is only just enough time to plan, brew and condition an ale, if it's a lager then it can't be done in time, even if all the information was available now. I know you have other priorities and issues and forms of advertising, but I can't imagine it would take more than 5 mins a week to get a 'retailer' tag here on the forums, and make a regular post with information such as brewshare and other events, I see the 'On Tap @ Harts' and 'Whats On Tap At The Platform Bar' up in the 'Latest Threads' on a regular basis. I have no idea if that form of advertising is effective for others, but it would work for me and tempt me to make the trip to visit more often, and from memory almost every person (except 1) at the brewshare night I did attend all participated in these forums anyway (and you have 2-3 people interested within 2 hours of posting the info here, so remind us on a regular basis and I hope the numbers will pick up).

A paid up member at Melbourne and never heard boo of any of these recent events. I am on their mailing list and attend most meetings.

+1 on wolfys comments there, more regular updates about what's going/appearing on tap would be great

Cheers SJ

A paid up member at Melbourne and never heard boo of any of these recent events. I am on their mailing list and attend most meetings.

Incase anyone else is confused, this isn't a Melbourne Brewers event.

This event is run by the local taphouse and has no affiliation with the Melbourne Brewers. Melbourne Brewshare, not Melbourne Brewers.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

Incase anyone else is confused, this isn't a Melbourne Brewers event.

This event is run by the local taphouse and has no affiliation with the Melbourne Brewers. Melbourne Brewshare, not Melbourne Brewers.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

Cheers Fourstar,
Wasnt inferring it was a Melbourne Brewers event. The theme of the thread was infact inferring that the message gets out to all brewclubs here in Melbourne.
I was simply stating, it didnt get thru to me!

Cheers Fourstar,
Wasnt inferring it was a Melbourne Brewers event. The theme of the thread was infact inferring that the message gets out to all brewclubs here in Melbourne.
I was simply stating, it didnt get thru to me!

a-ha! Gotcha! ;)

Being Secretary, i should be the first to hear about any of this and nothing has hit me or the rest of the new committee as far as im aware.

Ive just booked in for next tuesday! Have an IPA ready... Im a bit dubious about it actually, it's very bitter, but keen for others to try it and rate it. Anyway, ive also got a lovely Stout.

Just a Q. How many bottles should I bring?

Looking forward to Brewshare in Darlo this coming Tues.
Bringing along my Mindwarp Blackhome Black IPA ;P

Doc

Ive just booked in for next tuesday! Have an IPA ready... Im a bit dubious about it actually, it's very bitter, but keen for others to try it and rate it. Anyway, ive also got a lovely Stout.

Just a Q. How many bottles should I bring?

If bringing longnecks 3-4 should be more than enough.
The room breaks into groups. You qualify via the group for the next round then the final.

Basically you don't need enough for the entire room (unless you win and everyone wants a taste) :p
Some brewers bring 3 or 5 gal kegs.
I'll probably bring a growler or 3 gal keg dependent on my mode of travel next Tues.

Doc

I just stumbled across this thread. It sounds like a great concept and I'm very keen to go to the next St Kilda brewshare. Has the style been announced for the next brewshare yet?

Won't be coming next Tuesday.

Besides the fact I'm working, I don't have a beer for it anyway.

All you brewers in Melbourne should really make an effort to keep this night going. It is the best value night in town. $10 and you get to try some great home brewed beers and eat pizza, not to mention talk beer for the whole night. Its a great experience and you'll probably go home having learned a thing or two as well.

I think the main problem with the lack of numbers in Melbourne is the lack of awareness. I think maybe a post a week to remind people when the next one is and what style is to be brewed would be a good place to start. If more people come, it becomes even better value and you get to try even more beers. I love this event and would be very sad to see it slip away.

Maybe stick a link to the booking site when you post as well. Will make it easy if people cant find the info on the blog.

All you brewers in Melbourne should really make an effort to keep this night going. It is the best value night in town. $10 and you get to try some great home brewed beers and eat pizza, not to mention talk beer for the whole night. Its a great experience and you'll probably go home having learned a thing or two as well.

I think the main problem with the lack of numbers in Melbourne is the lack of awareness. I think maybe a post a week to remind people when the next one is and what style is to be brewed would be a good place to start. If more people come, it becomes even better value and you get to try even more beers. I love this event and would be very sad to see it slip away.

Maybe stick a link to the booking site when you post as well. Will make it easy if people cant find the info on the blog.

Cheers for the feedback. I have previously sent emails out (and then reminders) to Grain & Grape's database plus every Melbourne homebrew club (from memory only one of these guys even responded).

I'll be doing posts here, Facebook and our blog again and I'll perserve with the homebrew clubs!

It shouldn't be that hard though.

Cheers for the feedback. I have previously sent emails out (and then reminders) to Grain & Grape's database plus every Melbourne homebrew club (from memory only one of these guys even responded).

I'll be doing posts here, Facebook and our blog again and I'll perserve with the homebrew clubs!

I've gone into homebrew overdrive the last couple of weeks so I'll be at the next one for sure! What style is it? Belgian is my vote as I've got a Saison bottled, another Saison fermenting & another planned:) The Summer of Saison is upon us!

It's not that hard, but start by posting information about the next Brewshare night before it's too late to plan, brew and condition whatever beer style you choose.
Then email the people who have previously attended to let them know the details.

Latest posts

Back