Brewshare Night In Sydney & Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Due to a continuing lack of interest, we have cancelled tomorrow night's BrewShare night in St Kilda. There will be no St Kilda BrewShare nights in the forseeable future.

We remain keen to support the Melbourne homebrew scene but clearly BrewShare isn't resonating. If, for instance, some enterprising person wants to establish a new homebrew club in our area, we'd be happy to discuss the Taphouse being the "home ground".

A tremendous thanks for John Preston at Grain & Grape for their support and the $100 gift vouchers they offered for each BrewShare.

Steve
A shame that you've decided to close it down. There were 18 brewers at the previous one, so not sure you can call it a continuing lack of interest.

I was all keen to come along tomorrow night (see my previous post from this morning) and had a kick-ass IIPA ready to take that shiny $100 voucher. My victory will now only live on in my imagination.

Thanks for the previous BrewShare sessions, and we (I, at least) appreciate your support, given it doesn't make a whole lot of commercial sense for you to support a past-time that actively detracts from your revenue through the door.

Due to a continuing lack of interest, we have cancelled tomorrow night's BrewShare night in St Kilda. There will be no St Kilda BrewShare nights in the forseeable future.

We remain keen to support the Melbourne homebrew scene but clearly BrewShare isn't resonating. If, for instance, some enterprising person wants to establish a new homebrew club in our area, we'd be happy to discuss the Taphouse being the "home ground".

A tremendous thanks for John Preston at Grain & Grape for their support and the $100 gift vouchers they offered for each BrewShare.

Steve

I know you've had this problem a few times, so I can understand that it must be frustrating for you guys, but can I suggest that this months brewshare had little interest simply because of bad timing... With beerfest on this weekend just gone, most keen brewers have probably already used up their 'leave passes' (and perhaps need a liver cleanse). There's also a BJCP course running tomorrow night that quite a few homebrewers are attending (inlcuding me).

I really enjoyed the brewshare night that I attended, so I do hope this isn't the end for them!

Thanks for trying Steve. I posted comments earlier in this thread so no need to again.

Rather than a new home brew club, why not contact and arrange something with the existing clubs?
A club meeting at your venue, a club beer tasting night, a small mini club or intra-club comp, all sorts of ideas would be possible, and I'm certain that many club members would welcome the chance to sample your wide range of beers.

Just a quick one:

BrewShare is still on in Darlo and the next one is tomorrow (Tues) night. 18 have booked in so far so please rally the troops and let's get a big gang together for it! Paul (Vene Manager) will be emailing out the form to fill in ASAP.

Steve

Just a quick one:

BrewShare is still on in Darlo and the next one is tomorrow (Tues) night. 18 have booked in so far so please rally the troops and let's get a big gang together for it! Paul (Vene Manager) will be emailing out the form to fill in ASAP.

Steve

I have only just seen that there was supposed to be a brewshare night on. I love this night and would loved to have shown up. I'm on the mailing list for the taphouse blog and i regularly frequent this forum and this is the first i have heard about it. Maybe more frequent or more reliable reminders would have worked. By the looks of it, prior to today, there was basically no other posts about this since the previous one.

I have only just seen that there was supposed to be a brewshare night on. I love this night and would loved to have shown up. I'm on the mailing list for the taphouse blog and i regularly frequent this forum and this is the first i have heard about it. Maybe more frequent or more reliable reminders would have worked. By the looks of it, prior to today, there was basically no other posts about this since the previous one.
Agreed, but I imagine Steve and the guys are probably a little too busy running a (pretty successful) business to be hanging around on homebrew forums too often.

My biggest issue is: I had a leave pass booked in for the night. Now I have no excuse but to stay home on a Tuesday night, with my wife and kids, sober :(

Agreed, but I imagine Steve and the guys are probably a little too busy running a (pretty successful) business to be hanging around on homebrew forums too often.

My biggest issue is: I had a leave pass booked in for the night. Now I have no excuse but to stay home on a Tuesday night, with my wife and kids, sober :(

don't tell your wife and come to the belgian beer cafe for some beers before the BJCP course starts :)

I said all that months ago (in this thread) and in person at the Brewshare night, never happened and now they are gone, so not much point worrying about it.

As I told you the other night I missed the earlier date and have NO homebrew at all:( Very sad indeed.
If my APA was remotely ready I'd bring it along, but you can't rush a good thing.

I know it's minimal & it includes pizza but maybe the $10 your charging this time put people off? Maybe keep it free and let those who want to eat do so on their own accord?

Plenty of brews PLANNED just gotta get around to doing it. Should definately have something for the next one if it goes ahead.

Haldini, we all gotta start somewhere. All levels of brewers are welcome. Hopefully it happens again.

I am sorry Melbourne's didnt go ahead. I went there the next day to Have a Murray Imperious (yummo). I dont think the $10 is a big deal, especially considering that we are taking up table space and they are ultimately losing cash on us. $10 on homebrewing is nothing, so it is the least we can do for them.

R

As per some people's request, this is a reminder about the Darlo Taphouse BrewShare is on 24th May with the chosen beer style as ' Belgian Ales'. $10 will get you a ticket and you book on our website's Event Diary at www.thelocal.com.au/SYD.

Can I suggest that someone who usually goes to the brewshare/Local take responsibility for trying to keep us up to date, remind re: the nights etc. I am happy to do it, as I I have only been to one and absolutely loved it. Anyone interested in it?

Can I suggest that someone who usually goes to the brewshare/Local take responsibility for trying to keep us up to date, remind re: the nights etc. I am happy to do it, as I I have only been to one and absolutely loved it. Anyone interested in it?

as I I have only been to one and absolutely loved it. Anyone interested in it?
If you are in Melbourne - which is what I thought - there will not be any more here ... just the Sydney ones where the marketing is obviously better.

If you are in Melbourne - which is what I thought - there will not be any more here ... just the Sydney ones where the marketing is obviously better.

To be fair, I dont think the marketing is all that great in Sydney either. I didnt know about the one just past in Feb, other than from the announcement made at the end of the December night, which was a) after trying about 15 different beers and B) 3 months ago, so i'd completely forgotten which date it was. I tried looking for news on their blog, AHB and asking the barmen in the pub itself and he wasnt sure either.

Anyway, it's marked in my calendar now :)

To be fair, I dont think the marketing is all that great in Sydney either. I didnt know about the one just past in Feb, other than from the announcement made at the end of the December night, which was a) after trying about 15 different beers and B) 3 months ago, so i'd completely forgotten which date it was. I tried looking for news on their blog, AHB and asking the barmen in the pub itself and he wasnt sure either.

I spoke to one of the guys from the pub on the day and he said it was cancelled because almost no-one registered. I really want to give it another go. I had three other guys- non brewers- who wanted to come too. Can we try to make a serious attempt in May?

Who is willing to come?

R

I spoke to one of the guys from the pub on the day and he said it was cancelled because almost no-one registered. I really want to give it another go. I had three other guys- non brewers- who wanted to come too. Can we try to make a serious attempt in May?

Who is willing to come?

R

Who is willing to come?
No body, because other than a post here once every 3 months and something vague and impossible to find information on their website, there is no advertising, promotion or notice to all those home brewers who may otherwise be interested. It's even too hard for them to send an email out to the people who have participated in the past to invite or notify them of future events.

If you like the concept of the BrewShare night, join one of the Home Brew clubs in Melbourne and share that experience on a monthly basis - the MB meeting is on this Wed, if it's not too far for you to go you should come and have a look.

No body, because other than a post here once every 3 months and something vague and impossible to find information on their website, there is no advertising, promotion or notice to all those home brewers who may otherwise be interested. It's even too hard for them to send an email out to the people who have participated in the past to invite or notify them of future events.

If you like the concept of the BrewShare night, join one of the Home Brew clubs in Melbourne and share that experience on a monthly basis - the MB meeting is on this Wed, if it's not too far for you to go you should come and have a look.

A little unfair me thinks.

- We promoted every BrewShare for both venues on AHB and did send out some reminders. Can't people put the date in their diaries?
- We listed BrewShares in our website Event Diaries
- a search on our blog under BrewShare gives plenty of BrewShare news - http://thelocaltaphouse.blogspot.com/search?q=brewshare
- We had several promotional posters on the walls of both venues
- I personally emailed (and, in some cases, called) all Victorian homebrew clubs asking them to help promote the BrewShare night
- I asked sponsor Grain & Grape to email its subscribers

With lesser effort in in Darlo, we regularly get a fantastic turnout (30-60 people). In St Kilda, despite the above, the best number we ever got was about 13 with one night cancelled after just a single booking and the other two nights getting less than 10 people.

While we get very little from it, we are always keen to support the homebrewing community (we've also organised Oz homebrewer of the year to brew a beer at Mountain Goat for The Taphouses two years in a row) but for some reason the Melbourne homebrewing community isn't nearly as interested as the Sydney crew.

When cancelling BrewShare in Melb, I also offered the Taphouse as the future home for a (possibly new) homebrew club based in the inner city..

I'm not sure you can fairly accuse us of not trying to make St K BrewShare work..

I was simply saying the marketing/notification for the St K BrewShare nights didn't work, which is not unfair when it's based on evidence throughout this thread and that St K events have been canceled. None of the items you listed worked in Melbourne.

It was a cool idea, you should be commended for the concept, effort and for offering your premises for other things related to beer and home brewing.

I did attend a BrewShare night in St K - and was laughed at after suggesting that stuff on your blog difficult to find, that I have no interest in FaceBook and now you have my email address you could send future event details. I would have participated in more St K BrewShare nights, IF you were able to communicate details (date/beer style) with enough time to participate with a suitable beer - but that didn't happen in the past.

The advanced monthly notice for the Syd BrewShare night (and what beer will be featured) is GREAT and should encourage participation.

A weekly/monthly posting here with details of of other events and what beers you currently have on tap may also encourage more people to visit in the future.

Back