BrewPiLess. BrewPi on a single Wifi board.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breadboarded up a BrewPiLess and loaded the latest firmware onto it (BrewPiLess.v4.0.oled.newui.4m2m.bin). Almost everything is working, it runs in AP mode on the brewpiless network SSID, and i have configured my temperature sensors, and can switch the relays.

However, I am having some issues with the wifi. Whenever i go to scan for other wifi networks in the AP+Station mode it just drops the wifi entirely and doesn't return until i hard power it off for a few mins. If i manually set the SSID it does the same thing and doesn't connect to my wifi.

Has anyone had this issue before?

edit. Sorted out now, seemed to be an issue with the NodeMCU. Swapped to another one I had around and it works fine.

Attachments

• IMG_4140.jpg
    IMG_4140.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Hi guys. Hope i'm not hijacking the thread or anything.
I'm looking at building one of these controllers and wanted to know if anyone had an breakout PCBs for sale?
If not, is anyone interested in buying any if I order some in?

I have been trying to set this up.
Repetidor iSpindel con Display Oled
DIY: Aprende como montar un repetidor para el iSpindel con pantalla Oled donde puedes ver todos los datos de la fermentación.

I have struggled with a decent signal from my ispindel out of my ferment fridge, bargain stainless steel one but a good enough cage to stop regular wifi to my access point / router upstairs. Works great if i park a second router outside the fridge but trailing cables a pain.
I saw this ( briefly discussed on the ispindel thread about month ago )
pizzvopyfgp6oerh6v5bvte344-ac4c6men2g7xr2a-diyhomebrewers-com.translate.goog

Repetidor iSpindel con Display Oled

Translation from spanish not super good but enough, I wanted to use this to have a fermentation controller ( not got the relays for that yet ) and also as a WIFI relay/booster and another gadget with the display.
I assembled it last pm and installed the software my first efforts unsuccessful until I swapped out the esp8266 for another and then it was recognised and all loaded okay.
I have managed to get a test ispindel to connect to it and see temp and gravity change.
But what I also want to do is use it as an access point for the other ispindels which use brewspy.
I can see the brewpiless network and can log onto it with a device such as phone but can't get any WWW access from there.
I have set a fixed ip for the repeater on my network but am at a loss at the network aspects.

I think this is a mod of standard brewpiless. Pretty sure I'm making a basic error somewhere.

@takai
Reading above message of yours. Now it's working does that mean that ispindel can connect to the brewpiless and provide data make graphs etc and that you can also somehow log onto the brewpiless with other devices to use as an access point?
I can't get any internet access from the brewpiless only internal network access.
Any ideas?

@takai
Reading above message of yours. Now it's working does that mean that ispindel can connect to the brewpiless and provide data make graphs etc and that you can also somehow log onto the brewpiless with other devices to use as an access point?
I can't get any internet access from the brewpiless only internal network access.
Any ideas?

Have you put your default gateway in to the brewpiless?

You can run your brewpiless on your wifi and still run the AP for ispindel to connect to it

Have you put your default gateway in to the brewpiless?

You can run your brewpiless on your wifi and still run the AP for ispindel to connect to it
Yes I have done that and the subnet and given it a fixed ip.
The brewpiless is showing up as being on the network when I check the router webpage. I also can access the brewpiless via the fixed ip that I gave it.
The Ispindel is sending to the brewpiless as well.
When I connect to the brewpiless wifi it has set up that's okay but I can't seem to get outside of my network from there. When I look at the settings for that connection say on my pc ( if i connect to the brewpiless network ) I see that it makes an address say 192.168.4.6, the brewpiless is 192.168.4.1 for its' own network I suppose.
So it appears to not forward on from the brewpiless to the gateway.
Does that help?

It seems that I misinterpreted the little device. It's a brewpiless and it just uses a different screen. Not able to do any more than a normal brewpiless.
I assume a normal brewpiless can't be used as an access point either?
So I'll just set it up with the relays to control the ferment fridge and have a dedicated ispindel for that role.
Let me know if the brewpiless can act as a wireless relay for other network devices. I could just convert one of the esp8266 into a dedicated wifi relay using the specific network software for that I suppose.

Back