Quantcast

BrewPi - Fermentation control

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

vykuza

Well-Known Member
Joined
12/5/09
Messages
1,014
Reaction score
236
zeggie said:
I've looked on the website and can only see combos of parts required. Is it possible to buy a premade/preassembled brewpi? I don't like messing with electricity... :)
Not that I'm aware of. The kit itself is very easy to put together with a screwdriver. Then I would grab an electrician to do the 240v stuff.
 

Online Brewing Supplies

**** OBS ****
Joined
17/5/06
Messages
4,739
Reaction score
639
Location
The Dean WA
Thanks Nick
I have ordered the arduino parts, I expect them in a month, his ebay says he is in Darwin but the dick is actually in Asia . I think I will look for a good Aussie seller and buy another set as I need to have this ready for the heat.
I have stock of 40 A SSR and have numerous soldering stations.
Nev
 

vykuza

Well-Known Member
Joined
12/5/09
Messages
1,014
Reaction score
236
element14.com (aka Farnell) are a good local source, but not the cheapest.
 

zeggie

Well-Known Member
Joined
21/6/13
Messages
383
Reaction score
96
Location
Melbourne
Just throwing it out there, if anyone is interested in assembling one for me I'd be happy to repay their Labour :) linux is a second language to me but electrical wiring is like ancient Greek.
 

brewinski

Well-Known Member
Joined
27/7/14
Messages
54
Reaction score
12
zeggie said:
Just throwing it out there, if anyone is interested in assembling one for me I'd be happy to repay their Labour :) linux is a second language to me but electrical wiring is like ancient Greek.
where are you based, I am in Sydney, and can help out if you are nearby.

Pm me
 

mudd

Well-Known Member
Joined
11/12/09
Messages
345
Reaction score
102
Just trying to assemble my BrewPi and have decided to split into 2 enclosures for a number of reasons (mostly as I think the Pi wont get used much and is already in its own enclosure and I use it for other things). Also If I get a 2nd fermenting fridge I would build a 2nd identical controller and can just pop it on top independently - could run USB connection to the pi

So I want to have one new enclosure with Arduino/display etc on the front of the enclosure with the USB connection out the side (see pic), and the power sockets pendant from the bottom. I am choosing this way as I can use the clear face of the enclosure so I can see the display and relay status. I am planning on mounting it on the wall above the fridge


I'm actually thinking of putting all the 240V stuff behind the mounting plate from a safety point of view (although I don't really see any need to open the enclosure once its setup). I'll have to put some stuff behind mounting plate anyway. Anyone know what material to use for the PCB mounting plate

I need a separate power supply as I was previously using the Pi power this is what I've ordered http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/390942201180?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 to put in the enclosure rather than having an external powerpack (too many power cables). However having done some reading I am a bit unsure if I will blow up the board wiring into the Vin connection with this power supply, any ideas? I'll also do some more reading on this.

Any ideas on how to make the USB penetration relatively dust/water tight?

Cheers Mudd

BrewPi Assembly 1.jpg
 

MastersBrewery

Journeyman, the learning never stops
Joined
7/6/11
Messages
2,319
Reaction score
682
Mudd,
I think you'll find having the 240v relays in close proximity to the arduino troublesome, this issue has been raised with other arduino projects previously, namely Brewtroller and Matho's controller. With my Brauclone I had all HV in one box separate from the arduino itself. I ran power and signals over Cat5 between the boxes. For me I would consider placing relays in closer proximity to the compressor. Also a point to remember is the PI will not power 2 auduinos so your going to need a good quality powered hub, or separate power supplies for each arduino. [ED] I state the power supply issue as the one you have linked is 5v check this link post 2349

Looks like you got most of the kit to push ahead, keeps us updated.

MB
 

mudd

Well-Known Member
Joined
11/12/09
Messages
345
Reaction score
102
booargy said:
The relay card has optocouplers for isolation
My concern is in the arduino card as I want all the power connection inside the enclosure. I don't think the Vin has any protectiin
 

mudd

Well-Known Member
Joined
11/12/09
Messages
345
Reaction score
102
MastersBrewery said:
Mudd,
I think you'll find having the 240v relays in close proximity to the arduino troublesome, this issue has been raised with other arduino projects previously, namely Brewtroller and Matho's controller. With my Brauclone I had all HV in one box separate from the arduino itself. I ran power and signals over Cat5 between the boxes. For me I would consider placing relays in closer proximity to the compressor. Also a point to remember is the PI will not power 2 auduinos so your going to need a good quality powered hub, or separate power supplies for each arduino. [ED] I state the power supply issue as the one you have linked is 5v check this link post 2349

Looks like you got most of the kit to push ahead, keeps us updated.

MB
Thanks Masters will read up on that as well. I think your link is about power loss using external power. Planning on having built in (in my enclosure) 5V power supply (I'm not sure if I'm missing something here).
I'm assuming that the arduino can handle this power supply and is still able to connect via USB for programming/ monitoring etc
 

Online Brewing Supplies

**** OBS ****
Joined
17/5/06
Messages
4,739
Reaction score
639
Location
The Dean WA
I have my build to the point where the brewpi interface shows that my sensors are connected ( serial numbered) but I dont have temp readings on the graph ?
Is there some thing I must do to get this as there is no user manual for this ? Like what do I push ?
The whole set up is no good if you are not savvy :huh:
Nev
 

booargy

Well-Known Member
Joined
16/6/10
Messages
680
Reaction score
71
mudd said:
Thanks Masters will read up on that as well. I think your link is about power loss using external power. Planning on having built in (in my enclosure) 5V power supply (I'm not sure if I'm missing something here).
I'm assuming that the arduino can handle this power supply and is still able to connect via USB for programming/ monitoring etc
The card is powered from an external source. An optocoupler is an led and a light resistant diode. the arduino output powers the led. the light dopes the diode and allows current to flow. This also gives you the physical isolation.
The output from the arduino should be kept as short as possible. The AC is not effected by voltage drop as much as the arduino output.
 

gezzanet

Well-Known Member
Joined
10/8/14
Messages
233
Reaction score
82
Online Brewing Supplies said:
I have my build to the point where the brewpi interface shows that my sensors are connected ( serial numbered) but I dont have temp readings on the graph ?
Is there some thing I must do to get this as there is no user manual for this ? Like what do I push ?
The whole set up is no good if you are not savvy :huh:
Nev
try going to maintenance panel > device config. check the read values box and then refresh device list.see if you are seeing any values there.
 

MastersBrewery

Journeyman, the learning never stops
Joined
7/6/11
Messages
2,319
Reaction score
682
To clarify my point regarding isolating the relays was purely to reduce the chance of EMI from 240v especially when switching a motor (read compressor or pump) as this can interfere with signals on the arduino especially LCD displays. So it's physical proximity not electrical isolation.

MB
 

gezzanet

Well-Known Member
Joined
10/8/14
Messages
233
Reaction score
82
Mines been working fine with the 240 and arduino in the same box.
 

Latest posts

Top