BrewPi - Fermentation control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just cos I couldn't keep my hand off it :) .... I have added a second Arduino to the setup, so I can monitor the second chamber I have set up ... it was a piece of cake to do, and from the method they describe to do it, you could potentially run more than 2 ... just at some point the RaspberryPi may not handle that many versions of the tool running ?

brewinski said:
just cos I couldn't keep my hand off it :) .... I have added a second Arduino to the setup, so I can monitor the second chamber I have set up ... it was a piece of cake to do, and from the method they describe to do it, you could potentially run more than 2 ... just at some point the RaspberryPi may not handle that many versions of the tool running ?
Hi brewinski
Do u have a link for the setup?

WHY IS THIS NOT A BIGGER DEAL?
I really had no idea about this. Love it. Will definitely set up something like this in the future. Do you need to be a web guru to make it happen? I've done a bit of programming but only Fortran and VBA, nothing like C. Have done zero web stuff.

WIggman you don't need to be able to program. Easy to setup If you just run a pi and can run some wires together and dab a bit of solder. Mines on an old laptop running debian wheezy. Brew at the moment is at 18 deg +\-.015deg for the last 5 days.

Yeah it is very impressive, I've only done tests with water, as I just got it setup, but those test were bloody impressive.

Will be brewing this weekend.

Neo__04 said:
Yeah it is very impressive, I've only done tests with water, as I just got it setup, but those test were bloody impressive.

Will be brewing this weekend.
Yes, mighty stable.... And I have gone really low-fi with it, it drives a small wine fridge that turns on to cool things. And a 40w light globe in a nestle quick tin that is the chamber heater. Which sits on an old small candelabra so it doesn't touch anything

Takes me about 5-6 hrs to raise beer temp by 2 degree, once there it's solid as. And about the same amount of time to cool. Love it

Hey guys,

I've just spent the day looking at various parts on ebay, all through that HBT post and the brew pi site. Pretty keen to order some parts and setup, but still a bit hazy on Exactly what I need for this simpler setup (eg. scrapping the brew pi heatshield). Chucked some links below.

So far I think it is;
- 2x Arduino Ono (incase of 2nd fridge) $27
- 1x Rasp Pi kit (could use an old computer, but this uses less power + smaller) $76
OR 1x Rasp Pi ($49) and find an SD card/Power sup/cables
- WiFi Dongle for the Pi $6
- 2x 20x4 LED displays $12
- 6x DS18B20 sensors $10
- Case
- 4x power sockets
- 4x LEDs (show elements running)

Do you have an example of the relay element I should use?
I'm going to try see if any of my mates has any of these bits, cause I would rather do it cheaper, but I want to be able to set it up and not have to add new things too often haha.

I'm still figuring out how to wire all that up, but I have a couple of electrical mates who will help out once I have a plan.

Rasp Pi: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231328466080
Dongle: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261429848414
LED: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271061312409
Sensors: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251646216319

Bit of a noob hey

Hi Broseo,

looks like most of the stuff you need to me. The temp probes have a fairly short lead but look a good price.
I'm assembling a similar one now planning also for 2 fermentation chambers.

Seems to take ages to get some of the stuff in from OS sellers though, been waiting a couple of weeks for displays and probes.

Been a bit lazy to download the software etc to an SD card and configure the Pi. Probably will do once I have the probes.

As for relays I ordered in a 4 relay module ($6) thinking I could use it for 2 chambers- havent fired anything up yet but it should be ok.

9http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261498932073?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Cheers Mudd

Being as I am not Tech nerd, I will ask :
I have need of being able to monitor two fermenters from a far (150 Km) via the net.
Can I set this system up so I can see whats happening temp wise by the net and can I set it up so I can ramp my cooling or heating via wifi ?
Of course I realise I need peripherals etc but if it can be done with this simple set up I am keen.
BTW I have two Rasp PIs sitting doing nix .
Nev

Online Brewing Supplies said:
I have need of being able to monitor two fermenters from a far (150 Km) via the net.
Can I set this system up so I can see whats happening temp wise by the net and can I set it up so I can ramp my cooling or heating via wifi ?
Of course I realise I need peripherals etc but if it can be done with this simple set up I am keen.
Nev
Hi Nev,

Pretty sure would be doable - not sure how much tinkering would be involved though to do it securely.

Nev
with one of these you could, but it is a bit of coin. It has a few software bugs and hardware bugs (short-range wifi) at the moment, so personally I would wait until that is sorted.

https://brewbit.com

in either case you don't know gravity (or that all important taste feedback).

Not to bad cost wise but like you said probably wait till its refined.
The advantage is I don't have to run wire or solder, plug and play is nice if it works.
I have it bookmarked.
Cheers Nev

mudd said:
in either case you don't know gravity (or that all important taste feedback).
The recipes will be be repeats using same water same yeast etc so not to worried about small deviations from the norm, blending will sort that.
When the situation is optimal (on site) pH and Gravities will be done daily.
Nev

Nice I had a raspberrypi sitting around for over a year wondering what to do with it as got a more powerful Odroid lately as can watch full 1080p movies on that one has octo core CPU but pi is in a draw might do this :p

Not to bad cost wise but like you said probably wait till its refined.
The advantage is I don't have to run wire or solder, plug and play is nice if it works.
I have it bookmarked.
Cheers Nev
I have it up and running. I use one probe to monitor and control the first fermenter with heat/cool and using the second probe just to monitor the second fermenter in the same fridge. I had a lager brewing on temperature cycle whilst in bali and I just checked everyday to make sure everything was OK. Overall happy but i did have to put in a wifi extender in the garage because the wifi module is piss weak.

Latest posts

Back