BrewPi - Fermentation control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo__04

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just thought I'd put in a little review of my recent experience with the BrewPi fermentation controller.

I had looked at the BrewPi before and it is a little expensive to order and get setup.

Being a tinkerer and a bit of an electronics guru, i found a diy tutorial, which basically is a Raspberry Pi, Arduino, couple of temp sensors and a mini relay board. From projects over the years, I had all those bits and pieces floating around.

So i made up the controller and I am amazed at how well it works.

I put a 30l fermenter of water in a free fridge I got, set the Brewpi up, mounted the sensors, one hanging in the fridge, once in the water. Set it to 18 degrees and left it.

No settings were changed, stock standard setup, But the results were very impressive.
I have a 20w heat pad used as the heating side of things. Took a little bit for it to get up and going but went like a treat.

See the attached graph. Pretty impressed I must say.

If you were to make the Brewpi without buying all the gear from them its quite cheap, $12 Arduino uno, Pi - $30, relay board - $3 (ebay) temp sensors - $3 (for 10). Thats the brains of it for approx $50. Depending on where you source your items.

Then its just a case of putting it in a project box to make it safe a couple of 240v power outlets (bunnings/elec wholesaler), a bit of wiring 5v/240v and its up and running.

For a set and forget option, Im very happy I set it up, Originally overlooked it due to the cost, but the DIY solution is quite cheap. Worth a look, i recommend it.

photo1.jpg

This is on my to do list... I've got a few spare Ardunio's but think they're to old.

got any pictures of your install?

gav

Havent't got any pics but ill grab one tonight for you.

At this stage, it hasnt got an lcd installed on it as i didnt have a 20x4 at home. So as soon as that turns up i'll add it do the project box so you can see how its going without needing to look at the website.

Don't stress about your Arduinos, I worried too as the spare one I had was my original i bought 3 odd years ago.
Its a uno revision a or 1. Whichever the first was called.

Works like a dream.

Does it need a LCD? i was just going to put in a spare laptop in the brewery.

Na you dont need an lcd. It just shows what on the top left of my screenshot.

Its handy for seeing your settings, current temps etc, when walking past without having to login to check it.
Handy for a quick glace to make sure all is going well.

For the sake of a few dollars for an lcd, i'll put it in.

Nothing wrong with some wank factor :)

I was just going to present the website via the inter-webs so I can see it anywhere anytime.. but thats the nerd coming out in me.

I use one, and they are great, accurate, and flexible ... although if there is any amount of geek in you, it will take you by surprise how often you will look at the bloody thing :) .... luckily it has worn off a little now, and I may go a whole day without checking it, after 2 months of flawless operation ...

I also set one up about two weeks ago, these things are amazing.
I also went ahead and created a public sit that can be accessed anywhere.
Can pm the link if interested

tateg said:
I also set one up about two weeks ago, these things are amazing.
I also went ahead and created a public sit that can be accessed anywhere.
Can pm the link if interested
Yeah I wouldn't mind a look - I can't screw anything can I? :)

My fermentation fridge is right beside my keezer.

So im planning on having dual lcd screens on the project box for the brewpi.
One lcd for the fermentation fridge, one lcd monitoring keg temp & kezzer air temp.

Just cause i can, wank factor again.

One added wank factor I threw in, was to stick a microphone in the fermentation chamber to listen to the bubbling from a distance :) ... I could also record a 10 or 20 second, and look at the resulting file and count the time between bubbles, so I could determine if things were speeding up, or slowing down (by comparing previous results)... I was writing code to be able to automate this for me, then one day I realised I was geeking way to hard for no real gain, and decided to try and focus on the bloody beer

Thats awesome, Can one unit handle dual brews or do you need another kit setup?

I set one up and have had 3 brews run through it already. Works fantastic. Google brewpi for cheap it's on homebrewtalk.com. It's got over a 1000 posts and counting. Lots of good info there.

You can run dual brews brews but needs a second arduino. All the smarts are there.

brewinski said:
One added wank factor I threw in, was to stick a microphone in the fermentation chamber to listen to the bubbling from a distance :) ... I could also record a 10 or 20 second, and look at the resulting file and count the time between bubbles, so I could determine if things were speeding up, or slowing down (by comparing previous results)... I was writing code to be able to automate this for me, then one day I realised I was geeking way to hard for no real gain, and decided to try and focus on the bloody beer
Hahahha yep. Lots of wasted time. I stuck a $3 webcam in the fridge to watch the bubbles from my loungeroom. Fermenter is in the shed. Great fermentation control but you can go down a real rabbit hole.

Latest posts

Back