Brewlord - We Have A Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewlord

Reaction score
I have just made the following that I posted in the recipe DB:

1 x 1.7kg The Country Brewer (TCB) Wals Stout,
1 x 1kg TCB Stout Mix (600g Dark Malt, 400g maltodextrin (corn syrup)),
200g Malted Chocolate grain (Chocolate 600),
80g Chicos (choc jelly babies) dissolved and added to secondary,
24g Fuggles Hops (dry in secondary),
Yeast as supplied with kit.
24 litres to bring FG down.

Bulk primed with 110g of caster sugar.

This started at 1.040 and I thought had finished at 1.012. After I bottled, I tested another sample (which was unprimed and taken befor eI bulk primed) and it was 1.016. I also tested a primed sample which was 1.028. I bottled when I did after a reading two days previously had me at 1.016 and by the Kit and Extract spreadsheet by IanH, 1.014 was my predicted FG. I've used this as my guide for my last 30 brews.

My problem, based on the higher gravity reading and after two days in the bottle I though I might just crack one and see what happens. You bet - the big brown volcano came to town. The one I cracked was a half filled stubby of left overs and I though it may just be a thing with more surface area, more gas, expansion etc.

Anyway I tested a full stubby and a long neck with the same result. I have segregated and covered this whole batch just in case. I have used the same cleaning routine over 72 batches and never had a problem so was not expecting a gusher infection. I have one in the fridge now for a taste later tonight (even though its still young in order to maybe rule out infection). I am thinking crack 'em and let the pressure go but after two days and its at this level surely if its an unfinished fermentation issue its only going to get worse.

The questions: Did I bottle too early? Is there any salvation? Should I be on standby for uncontrolled bombs?

Any wise words of experience are appreciated.

There are a few things that are recommended.

Some people uncap and recap, this relieves head pressure. However if they're gushing then that could be a problem.

Perhaps when you open bottles, you have it sitting in a jug? When it's stopped, pour the rest of the contents in, then pour into a glass (or drink from the jug, whatever you prefer).

But yeah, beware of bombs.

The odd time I've bottled a batch too early I've wrapped a tea-towel around the room temperature bottle and quickly opened and closed the lid.

When I say opened I mean just a quick twist to let the gas out. If you actually take the lid off you're going to make a mess.

Occasionally you might need to repeat this too.

Hail Brewlord,

If it's that bad after 2 days in the bottle then I doubt there's much can be done to rescue them. I have had brews that hadn't fermented out properly...when bulk primed and left in the bottle they didn't show any signs of a problem until about 4-6 weeks in the bottle. Rather than "gushing" they would slowly build a head of foam in the longneck and would slowly ooze out after a minute or two. They were drinkable, tasted fine (as opposed to infected brews I've had) and I saved most of the batch by releasing pressure and recapping (or just keeping them in the fridge and drinking them after leaving them open for 20 minutes first). Anything that gushes out is problematic.

How long did you wait before bottling? I know you used the conventional wisdom of a couple of days of the same FG in a row...but if it was less than 10-14 I would be suspect of the gravity reading anyway. Priming sometimes seems to kickstart the yeast so it chews out the priming fermentables and I believe it can then clean up some of the other more difficult fermentables that are still in your beer - that is purely anecdotal, I have no research to back that up, but since I improved my aeration and pitching rates I do not have a problem getting to terminal gravity within a week or two. I also prime on the very low side of things...some of my beers take 6 weeks in the bottle to form a head, but it is not my primary objective.

Good luck dude, but I think the prognosis is grim. :(

hold on a sec guys, he did say that it was a half filled bottle is there a chance that he has ether gotten some of the trub in there or overprimed for the volume thats in the bottle.

Anyway I tested a full stubby and a long neck with the same result. I have segregated and covered this whole batch just in case.

Yes, that was my first thought until I read the above bit... :icon_cheers:

edit: although if they ALL came from the last dreggs of the fermenter then of course they may not be representative of the batch, true dat. Cheers.

true i missed that.
good luck mate.

I think you have bottled too early and likely have a problem on your hands.

Rule o thumb is a stable gravity reading 3 days in a row before you bottle.

cheers

grant

The odd time I've bottled a batch too early I've wrapped a tea-towel around the room temperature bottle and quickly opened and closed the lid.

When I say opened I mean just a quick twist to let the gas out. If you actually take the lid off you're going to make a mess.

Occasionally you might need to repeat this too.

Sounds like a good plan mate. There's a few big old heavy pry off long necks that can't be helped so I guess I might be able to save the other twist top tallies. Thanks.

Hey lecterfan thanks for the advice. I left it 7 days in primary and then racked for another 12 days all at 20deg C. I thought I was right on track but maybe not. Guess I can release the pressure and see what happens. In saying that there pressure is not very high yet but more than I would have expected after 2 days.

Just going through a similar problem too. This time though, the bottles have been in the cellar for about 4 months and are now starting to be 'foamers' rather than 'gushers'. Never used to have this problem when I primed each bottle individually, had some hang around fine for three years, but since starting to bulk prime I've had more foaming happening.

Followed all the usual rules about same gravity for 2-3 days, all kept stable and so on. If anyone's got any further wisdom - dispense here!

I went out tonight with safety glasses and towel at the ready. I cracked about 23 out of 30 long necks (as seven are the old very solid pry offs). Of the 20 odd, only about 6 foamed up to the point of some beer coming out of the cap. I quickly screwed the top back down and held it all in though.
The fact only a few really fizzed (and looked like when you open a freshly dropped bottle of coke) makes me think it's a priming sugar issue coupled with being bottled a little early. I have never stirred the bulk priming sugar but just let the whirlpool of racking stir it in. I think in this case the first few may have over primed as maybe the sugar didn't mix evenly. Weird since all my other batches have been evenly primed.

I guess I will keep an eye on them and check a few in about a week. I'll post again and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice - crisis averted for now I think.

If they're already carbed, chill them down. This will help prevent bombs and gushing to a degree.

Also if worried about explosions, wrap each individual bottle tightly in glad wrap and keep them away from anywhere where mess is a problem if you can't chill the lot at once.

+1 they sound like they are over lively opposed to gushers. Stick them in the fridge and get them really cold and you should be good to go. If you have to recap longnecks it is a PITA but the cold of the fridge should minimize the foaming.

With the crown seals, try giving them a twist too. It obviously won't take the lid off, but it can temporarily break the seal to let out excess pressure.

Rob.

Latest posts

Back