Brewing with the hot water tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
damoninja said:
I'm hoping it's the latter.
So my hopes were for nothing.

Get a plumber around to put the pressure release back, you're going to kill someone.

Edit: A few years ago I remember a house where one of these blew, it was a really old unit where the release had seized up and couldn't be released. It got put in the "Later, she'll be right" basket. One summer it blew and took the best part of the wall and the neighbour's window with it.

it is a pressure and temperature relief valve you dorks!
lol,

If you think thats gonna blow up, dont look at my other hobby then....

"When ever a storage hot water heater heats, the water in it expands. If no taps are open then the pressure relief valve will release the excess pressure. I forget the actual figures but a 350 litre cylinder could release up to a few litres every time. This is NORMAL."

Yes, this happens all the time

Seriously guys

DONT **** WITH A HOT WATER SYSTEMS

DONT **** WITH ELECTRICAL WIRING.

Death has proven to be fatal in 100% of cases studied.

And you insurance company is not going to pay if you modify things yourself. A plumber or electrician wont perform mods for you either because the liability comes back on them. And they dont like going to jail for it.

Good words of advise, Don't do as I do, it saves me heaps of time and is really useful, but please you could be a moron and have nfi in what you are doing...

Seriously had this electrician ask me what an earth symbol was once.... rofl, never used an electrician since.

I'd be worried if I didn't know what I was doing with a username like mine.

law-of-ohms said:
Seriously had this electrician ask me what an earth symbol was once....
Your kidding me......That is electrical theory 101. How on earth did he get a licence....

OK.....whilst this TPR valve setup not completely stupid as the pressure relief will function as intended, I am however, totally confused as to why you wouldn't cut your valve into the hot water outlet and leave the TPR as per the manufactures instructions.

The concern I would have is you have removed the thermocouple out of the main tank which inevitably will mean higher temperatures in the tank before the relief blows off.

Further to the above you have used GMS pipe on your potable water tank which will cause the vessel and sacrificial anode to rust faster not to mention it is not permitted under the BCA.

I understand you are good with electricals but this is definitely on the bodgey side of things for absolutely no good reason.

Seriously had this electrician ask me what an earth symbol was once.... rofl, never used an electrician since.
That is some very shitty logic.

Guys

I have removed posts considered to be offensive.

Please keep posts civil toward one another and on topic.

Cheers

Can you also go ahead and delete threads that are considered to be inciting dangerous practices too? Much worse than a couple of posts with a bit of name calling...

I think there is value in a bad or dangerous idea posted when it is followed by several other posts explaining why it is a bad idea. Then everyone can learn for next time.

Latest posts

Back