Brewing Whilst Under The Influence?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you drink when brewing?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

devo

Str8outtaCoburg
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's a given that we all consume our own produce when brewing at home with our many and varied set ups. :beerbang: but has it effected the result? :blink:

So I thought I'd get a little poll going just to see what % of us actually drink when brewing. Or do some of us take it so seriously that a more professional approach is the only way to go?

Well for me I'll probably normally have say 2 or 3 schooners during the process which is probably way to much being that I normally start brewing around 9'sh and finish around 1-2'sh.

For you people that voted now thats darn discipline, the smell drives me to the fridge lol!

As you know with me Devo I don't need to drink to have brewery accidents and no, I don't drink whilst brewing now because I'm usually up at 6am. :lol:

I used to brew at night and finish up around 2-3am. I'd also have quite a few in the process. Sort of all went pear shaped on me one day when I fell asleep while the wort was chilling.

Yep after running the tap for more than 4 hours the wort was at pitching temp. :ph34r:

Warren -

Have't had any problems with a pint or 2 whilst brewing, except I've left the tap open on the fermenter a few times (bugger :angry: )

cheers

redgums

Im another morning brewer, by the time everything is cleaned up its time for lunch and a beer.

Tooth paste and beer :blink:

While I was teasing warren about this, I generally don't drink (much) while brewing these days. I often brew late in the day and I used to find the latter stages fairly hard going if I had several beers during the process. Never really stuffed anything up, but just found myself getting tired and lazy. Now I'll wait till I'm chilling or later and have a beer or two to reward myself. :chug:

I never really drink enough for it to impair my brewing practices. Generally I sip on a commercial example of what I'm trying to brew on brew day for inspirado, and for something to do during the boil/chill, and also usually enjoy a beer while bottling to take my mind off how boring the whole process is. I really can't remember ever having had more than one whilst brewing.

I thought it was a pre requisite (spelling?)....

Im only 28y.o so a beer or 7 when brewing is nice. Only left the fermenter tap open once....

A bit like Darren, usually half way thru the boil. Started earlier a couple of times but it just gets messy. :(

Scott

Brewing and Beer may start with 'B' but together they can end with tears.

I start early and get it all over and done with before having a beer. Makes it taste just that much better! :)

My motto is: No beer before the boil!

cheers

Darren

'
Good rule :) Brewed a few times in the past a little 'confused' and done things like 'a few more hops won't hurt,' or once 'bugger the hops, let's reverse the hops' it was Ok, must have fluked that one.
I was a one hand brewer ,now I use two. :p untill near the end.

I always have one during the boil as a sacrifice to the beer gods :D but that's it.
Otherwise you start forgetting to close taps and connect hoses the right way and the job doesn't get cleaned up until next day <_<

I too feel it necessary that one sacrifice some pints to the beer gods ... But I do find that Stuster has it right - there's not too much harm until you get to the late stages of the process when boredom brings about mistakes...

I usually have a couple during the boil. The only time drinking has affected my brewing was quite a few years ago having put an overnight mash on, went out for an all-nighter and proceeded on arriving home (not really so much of a stuff-up, just unintentionally FWHing).

If I'm going to drink and brew, it starts with a couple beers while I think about getting started, a couple more when I get the HLT and mash set up, recirc one-handed so the drinking isn't interrupted, a couple more while the wort's boiling, another while running off the wort, and a well-deserved beer to finish the day. Usually works well.

if you want to forget the whirlfloc, a couple of beers is the perfect way to do it.

I used to drink during the process when I was doing K&K and wort kits but with AG it's a no-no for me.

There's something about that 50L of sticky liquid at 99.9 degrees and a roaring 4 ring gas burner that convinces me to stay 100% sober, just in case... plenty of time for that after it's in the fermenter.

I voted yes to both .I always have a few when brewing and yes i make mistakes but usually only small ones like forgetting the whirlfloc or the occasional hop addition and once in a blue moon leave a tap or two open.Worst one would be drinking a few too many before i fire up the gas and finding out its empty.

Cheers
Big D

Back