Brewing Licence

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lez87

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was just curious as to what is required for one to be able to sell there own brew?

Any pointers as to where to get info on this would be great.

Cheers,
Lez87

Look at the Excise Act and the Excise Tariff act and you might change your mind :)

You need a Producer's License, then you need to fill in paperwork for every time you scratch yourself within 10kms of the brewery.

yes thats wright and it is a nightmare but for the micros it has alot of consessions adt to alcohol production as well.
there is soooo much red tape an auto electrician would be kept in tape for a millenium.

after all this is the lucky country lucky if you can understand all the government gobble de goop.

del

Thanks for the tips guys, after looking into it it does seem bloody difficult.

Why is it so damn hard?, its ridicules (stupid laws)

Well you could try brewing on an old cargo ship or similar. Shuffle out to international waters. Brew away and then re-enter to sell. :blink: WHAT..........No need to look at me like that. It is an option.........A rather convoluted, expensive, over the top option, but an option none the less. :D

having and Vic, NSW and excise (well almost) it sure is a hell of a lot of fun.

Each State is different on whether the licence is administered by a court or a principle approver. Also, whether the license is attached to a business or a physical location.

NSW is administered for the moment by OLGR and is fixed to a premise - aka a venue.

If it was so easy I guess everyone would have one ;-p

Scotty

Excise license is a bugger to get, I know someone who has sold his business pending transfer of the excise licence, it has taken 12+ months.

Or you could go to our very own back yard Principality.

There are a couple of 'gentlemen' trying to establish their own principality here (in Sandy Bay=rich suburb) because there rates was assessed as not their primary residence and therefore a lot higher.

They spent 6 months living in the pilbara making mega bucks and bitched about the the rates notice when they got home.

There are several steps in getting a licence to make and sell beer in NSW

Step 1

You need to go to your local council and do a development application for a brewery. This will involve all sorts of stuff to do with zoning, location, building health etc....

It is the hardest bit

Step 2

Apply to the Liqour license board for a "Brewers Licence" It will cost you $2000.

You will need to show them that your local council has approved the development. If you dont then you are wasting your time.

They will also consult the local police - Licensing Seargant - for an appraisal.

If council and the police say yes, and no one objects then the local Liqour license magistrate will issue you a licence.

You can get the magistrate to approve the license, then pay the fee latter.

It is actually a simple process.You shouldnt even need a solicitor if you get your paper work right
Step 3

Get onto the tax office. specifically the Alchohol Industry Group. They are based in Adelaide.

They deal with anything to do tax/excise wise .

You will need to show them your brewers Licence, council approval etc. Dont bother untill you are practically ready to start brewing. They will want calibration certificates for vessals, recipies,labels, stock takes, building details for exise purposes...everyhting. They are pretty tough as they dont like to be diddled.They will want to know where every last grain of malt went.They also requiure that excise is payed BEFORE the beer leaves the brewery.

They will want to know the coulour of your undies as well.

Then there is minor stuff like health regs, trademarks, liability.

It is doable, you just have to follow and supply exactly what everyone asks of you

The first real step is to work out what all of this will cost you and then times it by 52 weeks :blink:

The big players have $$$ backing them or old money.

The small players work like dogs for beans.

A new Mirco/Brew Pub is opening soon (Coldstream) up the Yarra Valley so it can happen and still is.

Would be best to google and send them an email or as in a post above ask Pedro from Gulf Brewery as they both purchased old brewery's from over the ditch.

WG I like the idea of pirate beer at sea but you will only be able to brew IPA's :lol:

- Luke

Step 1

You need to go to your local council and do a development application for a brewery. This will involve all sorts of stuff to do with zoning, location, building health etc....

It is the hardest bit

Having gone the the process myself and without a solicitor I'd disagree with you there. The Council Dev App was the smoothest part of the process, helps having a copper and steel mill in your area. All the council need to know is what you are doing and the potential impacts on residents and the environment.

The court and the reviewing legal officers usually attach extra requirements once an application is received such as requirements for advertising evidence, communication polices and defined licence area's (the practice direction for site plans is a hoot). Mine was 17 points of further information required, with some of the responses being extensive. I think we ended up with about 150 pages of additional affidavits.

Also it can be dependant on the judge of the day, with further push-outs in a Grant due to thier own questions above and beyond the reviewing OLGR officer's report.

The average appliaction is 6-9 months thru the court - thats a heck of a lot of time and $$! (esp. as you have to have a secured premise before you can apply)

Scotty

Well I would have to agree somewhat. Solicitors do help ( help take your money )...as all sorts of things pop up.

And it will depend on the Magistrate.

And wether you want a retail license as well..

The court will require all the site plans to show the licensed area etc as well as proof that you advertised the application.

They may also require the applicatnt to do a RSA course, but I did read somewhere on the DGRA website that a judge set a precidant on this as the brewer is only supplying as a wholesale to other licensed retailers and should not require an RSA

Once you want to incorporate a retail licence to sell to the public, things get really messy.

One must rememeber that a brewers license only allows you to brew and sell to other licence holders that can sell to the public.

You are not able to sell your beer from a brewery to the public. But you can sell it to your employees... :chug:

The first real step is to work out what all of this will cost you and then times it by 52 weeks :blink:

The big players have $$$ backing them or old money.

The small players work like dogs for beans.

A new Mirco/Brew Pub is opening soon (Coldstream) up the Yarra Valley so it can happen and still is.

Would be best to google and send them an email or as in a post above ask Pedro from Gulf Brewery as they both purchased old brewery's from over the ditch.
WG I like the idea of pirate beer at sea but you will only be able to brew IPA's :lol:

- Luke
Maybe brew this under contract
http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/piraat-105/3962/

Well I would have to agree somewhat. Solicitors do help ( help take your money )...as all sorts of things pop up.

And it will depend on the Magistrate.

And wether you want a retail license as well..

They may also require the applicatnt to do a RSA course, but I did read somewhere on the DGRA website that a judge set a precidant on this as the brewer is only supplying as a wholesale to other licensed retailers and should not require an RSA

Once you want to incorporate a retail licence to sell to the public, things get really messy.

My frustration was 2 adjournements as the judge could not find the answers to his own questions in the 'war and peace' sized application - meant 2 months of delays.

RSA's are now standard requirements for all app's as is a Responsible Service of Alcohol House Policy. Funny how your not allowed to sell or serve Alcohol on the premises to unlicenced persons as a brewery... but you have to develop a service policy in breach of your licence provisions ....

If your lucky to get a new-grant retail I'd be telling no-one. Usually a transfer of an existing retail licence is standard, and they are not cheap!

The NSW Brewers Guild is beginning the process to address the licence equivalence issue with Winery Cellar Doors. Why cna wineries sell and offer tastings and breweries cannot. Wine is a higher alcohol product often made with grapes friom other area's?? Ahh the fun we are going to have in coming years with this challenge!

Scotty

Back