Brewing Licence

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting a new grant licence is nearly impossible

Recently a small village shop wanted to get a bottle shop license.

One of the big guys ( major chain ) that was not even located anywhere near the shop protested on the grounds that it would infringe on its multi million dollar profit.Non of the other smaller independant outlest gave a rats arse..

Unfortunatly, the laws allow for existing license holders to challange new licences on grounds that it might interferre with their trade...

Bollox.... B)

Bollox.... B)

Indeed. Who cares how many off licences there are? Free trade should determine how much alcohol is sold thru which shop. If it were easy to get a licence, I still don't think we'd see rows of bottle shops at the local village and piles of drunk people neglecting their kids. It's about time the licensing court realised that people are generally responsible for their own alcohol consumption and that the court should stop treating them like 20 million recovering alcoholics.

Seeing what Scotty went thru, I've opted to go down the wholesale path and brew in other peoples' metal for the foreseeable future.

New 'small bar' and 'drink only' restaurant licences in WA should make the selling of it a little easier over here. The ATO side of it remains the same for everyone.

Slightly off the topic (sorry),

Can I donate a keg to the local surf club or football club who may or may not be licenced to serve booze, or if not then charges a donation to the club as entry.

In short I'm trying to work out how to help the local, not for profit club, by donating a keg or two.

Any ideas ?

BOG

Slightly off the topic (sorry),

Can I donate a keg to the local surf club or football club who may or may not be licenced to serve booze, or if not then charges a donation to the club as entry.

In short I'm trying to work out how to help the local, not for profit club, by donating a keg or two.
Any ideas ?
BOG

Dunno, HB is typically illegal to sell. Onoffer at no charge for an event may be in the yawning cracks...

In comparison, a club or society can apply for three (3) special event licences and this is an easy process. This only goes to the licensing officer at the local court and as long as the applicant is part of the Club board and they have a non-profit clause in thier constitution, an application may be granted for $50. A server with an RSA cert is required, as well as standard stuff (insecurity gaurds for eg if needed)

Did this for my surf club, was not hard,

Scotty

Ok thanks for that I hunt down the infor for the licence.

This is assuming they buy the beer from the local pub and sell it.

What happens if I give them the beer and then they sell it. Say 40 beers per keg at $2 per beer. It's an $80 donation to the club in effect.

There is a hole in the laws here I'm just not sure I've defined it yet.

BOG

BOG

Happy Hunting... usually Footy clubs ahve a pub or club sponsor. See if they can help supply?? A micro within Coo-Eee may also help...

Scotty

This is assuming they buy the beer from the local pub and sell it.

What happens if I give them the beer and then they sell it. Say 40 beers per keg at $2 per beer. It's an $80 donation to the club in effect.

BOG

I think the hole you fall in there is that excise must be paid on the beer. If they buy it from a Pub or wholesaler, the excise has been paid and everyone's happy. If they sell homebrewed beer, licensing is the least of your worries, it's the taxman who'll be after you.

MMM...selling HomeBrew for a charity as a donation......

If the excise men find out, you will be up to your eyballs. Not to mention the local police with regard to licensing. Essentially your are doing something illegal. And not even God himself would be much help in front of a judge. There are just so many things they can get you with.

BUT

When I used to drink at an Outlaw Bikie Club, they had a system that everyone had there own drinks in the fridge, and they where all labelled with their names.

Now when you wanted a drink "fred" would offer you a drink from his own section of the fridge. If you chose to lend him a few dollars for every drink, then you could drink all night. If he never payed you back then that was bad luck

Technically they could not have any money change hands for the beer/burbon/rum

But there was nothing wrong with drinking at the bar, as long as you dindnt pay for it.

Now..as for the strippers........ :super:

Indeed. Who cares how many off licences there are? Free trade should determine how much alcohol is sold thru which shop. If it were easy to get a licence, I still don't think we'd see rows of bottle shops at the local village and piles of drunk people neglecting their kids. It's about time the licensing court realised that people are generally responsible for their own alcohol consumption and that the court should stop treating them like 20 million recovering alcoholics.

Seeing what Scotty went thru, I've opted to go down the wholesale path and brew in other peoples' metal for the foreseeable future.

I like the Euro model as it is in Spain, Italy, France and other places. Your local cafe' has a beer tap, liquor shelf and wine. You go into it in the morning for coffee, lunch time for a sandwich and on the way home for a beer, wine or whatever. You can take kids in, buy ice creams etc, just like a the old Italian run milkbar with a license. Australia in the 50s was so stuck in the Irish/British model where a pub has a license and we all go there without the kiddies to get pissed. When the European immigrants came out, they wanted the same thing as they had at home. No on your life in Anglophilic Australia. Pubs where for bloke, not kids and sheilas. In southern Europe, drinking is far more about quality than quantity, It is a social thing and often family thing to go to the local. Everyone can get something they like.I will leave it to those who want to find out which countries in Europe have the biggest binge drinking problems.

so endth the lesson.....

thanks Ducatiboy stu, maybie i should put this dream aside for some time untill i have all my shit sorted out. thanks all for the pointers there been helpfull and good for a laugh. guess ill just keep brewing from home and enjoying it with mates for now. :D

I was at our local monthly market this morning and there was a wine company selling
... well wine actually. :blink:

And that got me thinking (I'm always thinking what can I make to sell at the markets
when I down shift) and that led me back to this thread.
I looked up the SA licensing page (haven't read it in detail) but here is the
fees list
http://www.olgc.sa.gov.au/general/Applicat...sandCharges.pdf

and there's one there for a limited license per day, $33, and I'm thinking if the council let them sell
wine then maybe I can sell beer and ... day dreams day dreams ... worry about this in two years
time.
Wonder if I could make a profit. :unsure:

And that got me thinking (I'm always thinking what can I make to sell at the markets
when I down shift) and that led me back to this thread.
I looked up the SA licensing page (haven't read it in detail) but here is the
fees list
http://www.olgc.sa.gov.au/general/Applicat...sandCharges.pdf
Don't forget if you produce the beer yourself, you need ATO Excise approval to make the beer to sell and also a producers license from OLGC.

Cheers
Pedro

Don't forget if you produce the beer yourself, you need ATO Excise approval to make the beer to sell and also a producers license from OLGC.

Cheers
Pedro

Oh well, there we go! That knocks that idea on the head! :)

Excise is the real killer for Micros in Australia. I went to Grain & Grape on the weekend to pick up some supplies. I checked out the brew demo and the beer tasting (What's Brewing/Scottish Chief's Brewery).

According to the brewer, it cost him $30 and $40 respectively for the two corny kegs he brought with him to sample. He sounds like he could use all the marketing he could get, but considering that $90 was blown in excise on freebies, it must be a tough challenge.

Certainly worth supporting any local micro you find out there...

slightly :icon_offtopic:

I wanted, recently, to do a work event, oh the pain, OH&S, legals, just wasnt worth the extra effort, however, in the spirit of never letting go of something I want to do I found a venue that has a BYO liscence only (Bowls Club) and we are going to hire the room and put on a selection of 6-8 styles, one of the things that cannot happen is serving, people MUST serve themselvs in order for it to be legal.
as it stands you pay $15 for the bowls (optional) and "sample" as many beers as you like for free, :icon_drunk:

it's gunna rock :ph34r:

slightly :icon_offtopic:

I wanted, recently, to do a work event, oh the pain, OH&S, legals, just wasnt worth the extra effort, however, in the spirit of never letting go of something I want to do I found a venue that has a BYO liscence only (Bowls Club) and we are going to hire the room and put on a selection of 6-8 styles, one of the things that cannot happen is serving, people MUST serve themselvs in order for it to be legal.
as it stands you pay $15 for the bowls (optional) and "sample" as many beers as you like for free, :icon_drunk:

it's gunna rock :ph34r:
In Victoria, all you have to do is supply the alcohol and you need a license.... The venue's license may cover you. You may want to check that, as not all venue licenses cover you if you hire it out. One of the requirements of the venue's license is likely to be that the servers must have RSA certificates, so you might want to check that too.... The nanny state makes those sorts of things difficult... but it can be done.

Responding to a gravedig spammer guys?

Responding to a gravedig spammer guys?
:lol:
Teach me not to scroll up.... but my comment was aimed at iamozziyob anyway. :)

Back