Brewing Licence

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard about this new brew in a bag method that some guy in Perth and a Couple of blokes in Melbourne have been experimenting with. Where do I get a bag from?

Well I would have to agree somewhat. Solicitors do help ( help take your money )...as all sorts of things pop up.And it will depend on the Magistrate. And wether you want a retail license as well..The court will require all the site plans to show the licensed area etc as well as proof that you advertised the application.They may also require the applicatnt to do a RSA course, but I did read somewhere on the DGRA website that a judge set a precidant on this as the brewer is only supplying as a wholesale to other licensed retailers and should not require an RSAOnce you want to incorporate a retail licence to sell to the public, things get really messy.One must rememeber that a brewers license only allows you to brew and sell to other licence holders that can sell to the public.You are not able to sell your beer from a brewery to the public. But you can sell it to your employees... :chug:

RSA Certificate are much needed for anyone to work in pubs and bars although not all countries and cities requires it,.

RSA Certificate are much needed for anyone to work in pubs and bars although not all countries and cities requires it,.

If your purpose in joining AHB is to promote RSA courses then by all means do so, but post in Retail subforum. This is a home brew forum, but some members in hospitality may be interested.

Some one mentioned to me yesterday that some pubs in Melbourne are selling home brew?? the laws have changed in the last 12 months on selling beer at farmers markets and festivals, kind of like the wine tasting licence, does anyone know how a home brewer would go about selling a few kegs to there local pub so they can tap and sell? I have searched a bit but not found many details. I may start a new thread also as this is an old one and the laws have changed.

Some one mentioned to me yesterday that some pubs in Melbourne are selling home brew?? the laws have changed in the last 12 months on selling beer at farmers markets and festivals, kind of like the wine tasting licence, does anyone know how a home brewer would go about selling a few kegs to there local pub so they can tap and sell? I have searched a bit but not found many details. I may start a new thread also as this is an old one and the laws have changed.

Just go for it. The only thing stopping me is the fact that I make crap beer.

Yeah I could be in the same boat, because my mates love my beer...... but its free!

Who's been telling you this chef? Unfortunately I think they're talking out their arse. All the info in the thread originally posted still stands, if anything, it's probably become more complicated over the years. No way can a homebrewer sell their beer to a pub.

Happy to be corrected if anyone can point to relevant legislation, but I highly doubt it.

Dave

I heard something about markets also. But then there is a hell of a lot of things sold at markets.

Just the tip of the iceberg for a Pre-Retail (ie to supply a pub) licence is $387.70 application fee + $812.70 per annum
If you add enough home grown fruit you might be able to convince them to issue you a Vignerons licence at $200 pa :D
http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/wps/wcm/conn...Licence_Kit.pdf

This is the easy bit. Then you need to look at excise...... :huh:

FYI - the following text is from a media release issued by the Dept. of Justice, Victoria, late last year ...

[begins]
New Licence for Wineries and Beer Makers
25 Oct 2010
Victorias brewers and wineries will be able to promote and sell their produce at an unlimited number of farmers markets, shows and festivals to promote their wines and beers without having to obtain a temporary licence.

Consumer Affairs Minister Tony Robinson said the new producers licence would replace the current vignerons licence and will be available to businesses:

- growing their own fruit and making their own liquor or financially responsible for liquor production
- buying fruit grown by someone else and producing their own liquor or financially responsible for liquor production
- brewing their own beer.
The new licence will also enable producers to attend an unlimited number of farmers markets, shows and festivals to promote their wines and beers without obtaining additional temporary licences.

The new producers licence is designed specifically for Victorias wine and beer industry and for the first time will enable wine and beer makers to showcase their products around the state without having to pay for additional licences, Mr Robinson said.

Victoria is home to world-class winemakers and a growing craft brewery sector and we want to support their ongoing development by reducing unnecessary licensing regulation.

He said the government had consulted with the wine and beer industries on the development of the new licence category.

There are more than 850 wineries across 21 distinct wine regions in Victoria.

Victorias craft brewing sector is also strong, with 35 of Australia's 120 craft breweries located in our state.

The producer licence will be available from 2012.
[ends]

Original can be found at :
http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/wps/wcm/conn...kers+%28NEWS%29

And note, this is relevant to Vic only. Liquor licensing is a state govt jurisdiction and so relevant law varies between the states. Excise etc is a Commonwealth jurisdiction. Compliance with local council regulation and bylaws also comes into play.

Who's been telling you this chef? Unfortunately I think they're talking out their arse. All the info in the thread originally posted still stands, if anything, it's probably become more complicated over the years. No way can a homebrewer sell their beer to a pub.

Happy to be corrected if anyone can point to relevant legislation, but I highly doubt it.

Dave

Yeah I guess I did'nt find it hard enought to beleive as I made the post, but in hind sight maybe it was a back yard university bar??

Also thanks Feldon I also read the same article.

You could try the Canberra Method. The local club has an annual beer of the year and the local micro , with the help of the home brewer, brews the beer in the micro brewery. OK, you don't make money, but how cool is it to say it is your beer on tap at a famous brew pub?

i will say , there was a bloke i knew once who was supplying a group with beer..100 litres at a time.... but they were buying the ingredients....and he made it
It also , always amusues me how we all think , "hey i make good beer...maybe i could sell it"
Well you probably do...and no you cannot
The tax man does not like it...he is greedy and a pig :drinks:
edit spellink

Maybe you heard wrong (about homebrewers selling beer).

There are a few startups popping up around the traps selling beer in very small batches in melbourne. Cavalier Brewery (Ascot Vale) and Moondog (Abbotsford) spring to mind. These guys are making what you would term large homebrew size batches and selling it.

Yeah I read that one Brad - they sell beer/wine with food as a 'gift'. Apparently these guys got some kind of clearance and didn't need a formal licence because they deliver all alcohol with 'crisps' :blink:

Hopper.

Edited - posted the article but brad just beat me to it!

Recon this will arrive in queensland in about 15 years. We are very progressive up here

Note that you'll have to be a business to sell at the trash-n-treasure

Consumer Affairs Minister Tony Robinson said the new producers licence would replace the current vignerons licence and will be available to businesses:

- brewing their own beer.

The new licence will also enable producers to attend an unlimited number of farmers markets, shows and festivals to promote their wines and beers without obtaining additional temporary licences.

In NSW brewers can get a producer/wholesaler license that allows on-premises sales and wholesaling. The license has a once-off fee of $500 but you also have to get council approval for your premises via a DA, which will also cost money and involve the local health inspectors I think. To serve booze you need a RSA.

nsw olgr

Back