Brewing Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamstringsally

Reaction score
going to put down some lagers for the first time instead of ales and was wondering

whats the best temp for fermentation and the time i should leave it in the fridge and then the same once i bottle it?

cheers

Unless you have two fermentation fridges it's a bit of a hassle lagering (keeping your beer cold once it's finished fermenting) for weeks on end. I don't have the room for multiple fridges so avoid lagering in bulk by doing a couple of things:

1.) Forceful dropping the yeast out of suspension with gelatin and dropping out chill haze with polyclar.

2.) Lagering in the bottles for a week or two at top shelf fridge temperature (6C) once carbed up.

If you have lots of fermenting fridges then lager away!

BTW - a lot of less-traditional lagers are not "lagered" at all.

If you want to dip your toe into the world of lagers then consider using a 'flexible' lagering yeast such as S-189 dried Swiss lager yeast, apparently from the Hurlimann company. You can ferment that no problems at about 15 degrees, and at those temps it will be done in ten days, then cold crash in another vessel for ten days at fridge temperature, like most Australian Breweries. Use gelatine and polyclar, and you end up with a drinkable lager without having to wait till Christmas. Some German breweries brew in this time frame right now and their products are good sellers over there.

Latest posts

Back