Brewing Gruit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Low Hang'n

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed gruit ale?

Love to hear how it went & how it tasted.

Cheers
Low Hang'n

From memory Temple of Seth used to (or still does) brew with a lot of different herbs and spices rather then using the hops...

havent brewed it but have tasted a couple - interesting earthy botanical sort of flavours.
i did try looking for sweet gale a couple of years ago, which is apparently one of the main herbs you need for gruit. alas couldn't figure out where to get it.
would be an interesting project!

neonmeate said:
havent brewed it but have tasted a couple - interesting earthy botanical sort of flavours.
i did try looking for sweet gale a couple of years ago, which is apparently one of the main herbs you need for gruit. alas couldn't figure out where to get it.
would be an interesting project!
[post="108252"][/post]​

I was wondering about the ingredients myself & was thinking that I may have to start my own herb farm to become self sufficient. Where did you get the Gruit to taste? wouldn't mind trying it myself so see if I would actually like it.

Sluggerdog, thanks for the links. Will check it out.

Cheers
Low Hang'n

i had one in NZ strangely enough - at Wellington Brewing brewpub
http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/wellington-br...llbinder/30174/

- and I had one brought back to me from the UK by a friend who apparently found it in a tourist shop at Heathrow!! it was called Vitis Bogmyrtle, made by O'Hanlon's under license from some strange Druid/hippy company that does historical beverages for weird medievalgeek parties...
http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/vitis-wines-bogmyrtle/30481/

also I had one in the Netherlands once called Jopen Adriaan.
http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/jopen-adriaan/6956/

so you might struggle to find one in this country - unless you count Goulburn brewery's stout with no hops in it.

Low Hang said:
[post="108252"][/post][/right]

I was wondering about the ingredients myself & was thinking that I may have to start my own herb farm to become self sufficient. Where did you get the Gruit to taste? wouldn't mind trying it myself so see if I would actually like it.

Sluggerdog, thanks for the links. Will check it out.

Cheers
Low Hang'n
[post="108255"][/post]​
[/quote]

Beer without hops? Does that make tooheys extra dry a gruit? What about hahn premium light?

One of these days I'll give the Gruit a go. Keep reading that hops contain estrogen chemicals that can lead to 'Man Boobies' & 'Brewers Droop'.

Also like the sound of this comment from a web site I visited about gruit "it is highly intoxicating and aphrodisiacal when consumed in sufficient quantity. Gruit ale stimulates the mind, creates euphoria and enhances sexual drive"

Hmmmmm sounds good to me :super:

Back