• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Brewing Equiptment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdsaint

Reaction score
I have a number of brewing equiptment for sale as I no longer need these items:

120+ Pure blonde stubbies (355ml)-Empty unfortunatly
2x Fermenters 1-coopers, 1-brigalow
1x Racking tube
200 Red brigalow caps
200 green brigalow caps
1x tooheys wing capper
1x brigalow hand capper
500grams Neo-pink
Understanding beer making Vol 2 book
Seals for lids and taps ect
The fermenters have seals already in them and I have spares everything is in working order & clean
their is the mixing spoon and little bottler

As it would be hard to send these items, they are for pick-up only, so name a price, pm me and I will get back to you asap and questions Pm me cheers!

What's the matter jdsaint? Are you giving the game away?

quiting the game guys cant make a brew like my favourite pure blonde plus drinking to much haha and the missus but not completley quiting still have a spare fermenter and gonna grab some kegs cheers

quiting the game guys cant make a brew like my favourite pure blonde plus drinking to much haha and the missus but not completley quiting still have a spare fermenter and gonna grab some kegs cheers

Well, if that's what you like to drink, there's no point brewing. The big boys make it better than we can do easily at home. I doubt the enzymes they use are the same as the "dry enzyme" the HBS sells.

yet I have not tried all grain brewing as I am told its much better then KK brewing but for me its the costs involved limiting me from AG

I second the cost prohibiting me brewing AG. Also living on campus at uni and trying to be somewhat discreet haha. For me, I just research what I want to do next and then take the simplest and most cost effective path towards it...seems to have worked out fine so far with the possible exception of an alcoholic ginger beer [may just need more time in the bottle].

$30 a batch or less, thats my aim. $40 is the max at this stage for a top-notch recipe, but my latest brews have all been pretty much right on the $30 mark [save the Toucan Draught - it was less than $15!].

Once you get over the cost of the setup (mine was about $200 on top of what i already had) AG is much cheaper - i make batches for about $10-15

Sorry to hear that you can't make megalager styles using K&K, we did try to warn you about that, PoR dry hopping probably wasn't the way to go...

Wow, you guys are mislead, AG is cheaper that KandK

Yep. Agreed. And if you're referring to the outlay in money for hardware, you can source gear from places like Salvos, friends, Op Shops, garage sales, markets, etc. many options.

You can build a mash/lauter tun out of 2 food grade buckets (1 with several holes drilled in the bottom) for example. I grabbed my first SS kettle (23L) from a Salvos for $10. Can be used to both mash and boil in, etc.

Point is, if you take the time, and look in the right places you can collect what you need (albiet your brewery will be hands-on, and some prefer it this way!) for $50 or less. And you're into cheaper batches and markedly better beer. Oh, and just mash/boil on your stovetop for now. When you get into bigger batches and want/need more grunt, you can get a burner and take it outside.

It can be done, guys.

Buy 2 20l buckets, a tap to fit one, a burner and a pot and a thermometer & steal a blanket from the cupboard/bed.
Drill a few hundred 2mm holes in one bucket, put the tap in the other. Put the holey bucket inside the tap bucket. Helleleujah - a lauter-tun
There's your AG setup. :)
Total cost? SFA.

You can even do step mashes with it! Here's how you use it.

Water up to 70 deg in pot, add grain, stir, cover & wrap in blanket, 30 mins later, stir, check temp, use burner to bring back up to 66 deg (or whatever), stir, cover & wrap, wait 30 mins. Pour the whole lot into the top 'holey' bucket, run/recirc(with a coffe cup) till clear, and then start drawing off while heating up your sparge water in your now empty pot. Start sparge running off into your fermenter, ladle (coffee cup) sparge water into your 'lautertun' do this until the runoff isn't sweet, but not until it tastes like an overbrewed cup of tea. Transfer from fermenter into pot and boil, adding hops when appropriate. WASH FERMENTER & SANITIZE.
Drop boiled pot in sink of cold water after 60 mins. Allow to cool. Pour into fermenter allowing to splash to aerate the wort. Check temp and pitch yeast!

When it comes to AG, don't be put off by people like me who like to tinker and build stuff. The basic principle of AG is simply this.
Heat your grain & water up to somewhere between 62-68 deg C for 60 odd minutes, trying to keep it stable.(This converts starchs in the grain to sugars)
Rinse the sugars out of the grain, leaving the grain behind. You could do it in almost anything (a toilet comes to mind as a joke for some reason)
Apart from hops additions at your discretion, everything from this point on is just like doing a kit beer.
You can simplify/easyify the process with a $30 esky if you wanted to go there later when you decide that AG is actually bloody easy and simple
:)
Give it a go!!

edit: damn you and your speedy typing fingers revox.....:)

i make batches for about $10-15
It's getting a little tricky to stay in that budget with the way malt prices are going :(
Say for a 25L batch (based on the bulk malts I purchased on the weekend - as a result of the drought)
Base malt 4kg x 2.60-3.00 = $12
Specialties 0.5kg x 5 = $2.5
Hops 100g @ $5 = $5
Yeast @ $3 = $3

That's $22.50 - Which is close to a K+K batch with a few fancies

But I suppose the quality beer is well worth it :D

Bring that back to the cost of commercial beer which seems to be $40 + nowadays

That's 2.5 cases * $40.00 = $100

You are still in front with a beer that will pooh over most commercials

Cheers

It's getting a little tricky to stay in that budget with the way malt prices are going :(

Indeed. I stocked up on malt before the price rise so i got a couple of bags of Ale and Pils for $42 each. And i still have heaps and heaps of bulk hops in the freezer, and i farm yeast and get about 5-10 batches out of each liquid i buy :)

Still, a price rise of 30% only increases the malt cost from $2 to $2.60, which for most batches is only about $2.50. Still WAY cheaper than when i was trying to make beer using 3kg of extract + hops in 100g jars

Extract is made from barley, too. It's price will go up as well.

Jdsaint/Boingk

I used to think like you.

When i first arrived on this forum i found all the AG threads daunting, full of so much info and debates raging about topics i had no idea of. Been reading non-stop for the last 6 months and now think i have the theory down pat.

Meanwhile, my kit brewing was getting more and more expensive. Once i started steeping spec grain i wanted more in the next batch, same with the hops. I reckon my last 2 batches were upwards of $40 each.

I met up with a few blokes from the forum, PMed a few more with stupid questions i was too embarrsed too ask publicly, and then the killer blow - i sampled an all-grain brew.

So i started saving a few $s here and there thinking it was going to cost me big $. I then saw an ad for a 50L keg on here for $85 so now i have my pot. 55L esky from evilbay, $22. Dont need a lauter tun or anything like that if you have pots you can heat water in.

As domonsura and revox pointed out you could go cheaper than that. Be creative, some of the AG brew setups are MacGyver worthy - chck out Bonjs pics with his kettle sitting on car tyres.

So to finish this rambling post - meet up with ppl from this site, talk to ppl, learn from them and be patient. So many people on this site genuinely willing to help you out its ridiculous. The number of ppl losing their AG cherries seems to be increasing every week! Mine will be popped shortly!

Cheers
DrSmurto

The number of ppl losing their AG cherries seems to be increasing every week! Mine will be popped shortly!

Excellent work Dr Smurto :beerbang:

Keep us informed of progress at the newest brewhaus in Mount Torrens!

check out Bonjs pics with his kettle sitting on car tyres.

Woohoo! I got a mention.... I spent about $300 on my setup, but that's because I know that I'll be going down the brewstand - march pump route. I second the suggestion to meet up with people. It took me about 2-3 months to get everything together... all through contacts made on this forum... most of from actually talking to the guys in person. About 4 years ago, I attempted to go AG, but after about 6 months, and nothing happening, I kind of forgot about it.

Here's the picture mentioned... incase you can't find it elsewhere.

bonj_brewstand_img_2090.jpg

The "How High-tech Is Your Brewery" thread is a good place to look for simple (and excessively complex) AG setups.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=15376

The Craphaus in all her minimalist glory. I love her to bits. :wub:

dsc01967rw0.jpg

As much as I admire high tech home breweries... my personal ethos is I see mine as a tool rather than a computer. Makes me feel like a craftsman. :lol:

Warren -

jdsaint - I hope you end up getting some of your stuff sold. Sorry to hijack a well n truly hijacked thread but...BONJ!!!!!! :blink: how stable is that kettle sat on top of the tyres? Hope the blackened scorch mark on the grass isnt from it all toppling over?

Cheers
Steve

P.S. I take you arent much of a home gardener either :p

Back