Brewing Demo: Opinion Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For a brewing demonstration, which would you find more useful?

• All grain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Partial - can kit plus 2.5 kg grain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
hmm - I tend to support Manticle's opinion on the time thing - your parial BIAB method is about 45mins faster than a full AG BIAB method. I have done several BIAB AG demos at Grain & Grape and we mash in at 10am... shop closed at 1:00pm and by then wort is in a No-Chill cube and we are having a beer with anyone who stayed the course.

That said, you seem less than keen on it being an AG demo, so it probably doesn't matter all that much.

My take on it would be this..

You will perhaps get more people interested in a partial mash demo... people looking to step up from K&K who think that AG is a whole other world, or who haven't even heard of it. So thats a reason to do a partial demo. BUT

People who are interested in AG need a demo more. Its a daunting prospect, and often people think that its something they could never do... until they see it done in front of them and it isn't as hard as they thought. Often that one demo can be the trigger point to making the change. Or maybe they have decided they want to change but dont quite understand what happens; and just need an eyeball full of the process to make it all go "click" inside their heads. Trying to explain AG can be a nightmare - getting to see it happen can be a revelation.

I say do both -- do the partial; and when you are doing the mash part, explain that this bit is exactly the same as AG brewing, just on a very small scale. Then tell them that you will be doing a full scale AG brew the next week if they are interested in coming along. You might get return customers.

TB

Also all malt extract beers tend to be overly sweet, even more so with excessive amounts of caramel malts.

More meaning the introduction of grain to a brew in a simple way - can be done with either kits or extract. Also extract brewing (and kit with spec grains) introduces the concept of boiling and bittering which is a significant step. I'm an AG brewer now but didn't step away from kits that long ago. At the time each step was a significant one.

Anyway whatever you decide on, I think brewing demos are great and an easier way to get your head around the process than reading about it so your customers should appreciate it.

Pat,

I voted for partial. Mainly because I think it will less daunting to newer brewers... well, it was for me when I started out. Your instructions for partial mashing on the old bmbrews website kicked off my journey into all grain brewing - something I'm sure Peta thanks you for <_< :p

Later

Dan.

Pat,

I voted for partial. Mainly because I think it will less daunting to newer brewers... well, it was for me when I started out. Your instructions for partial mashing on the old bmbrews website kicked off my journey into all grain brewing - something I'm sure Peta thanks you for <_< :p

Later

Dan.

Beers/Dan, very good point.

I started home brewing with Tins and it wasn't until I went to Pat's store that I realised the potential. Pat had the perfect steps through kit & kilo, extract, extract with grain ... and of course ... All grain. Having been to other stores, they didn't quite have that direction - they stopped before getting to All Grain.

Today, I enjoy fine beer thanks to Pat's efforts.

I would suggest Partial for the greater audience to experience the first step towards All Grain.

To fine beer ...

Stuart

Latest posts

Back