Brewing Classic Styles ESB - What Would Be Close?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm a fan of malty ESBs and similar (think Fullers LP/ESB, Speckled Hen, etc.) and I've been trying to brew a good AG version for a while without success. I think I've found my problem - astringency due to over-sparging so I'm going to attempt to fix that in my next batch by using no-sparge. Fingers crossed!

Anyway, as a way of reducing the variables I thought I'd concentrate on a simple recipe like the ESB described in Brewing Classic Styles - base malt, crystal, Goldings and that's it. Before I brew one of these, I'd like to make sure I like it so I was wondering what commercial brews would be in the ballpark for a recipe like this. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris

cpsmusic said:
Hi Folks,

I'm a fan of malty ESBs and similar (think Fullers LP/ESB, Speckled Hen, etc.) and I've been trying to brew a good AG version for a while without success. I think I've found my problem - astringency due to over-sparging so I'm going to attempt to fix that in my next batch by using no-sparge. Fingers crossed!

Anyway, as a way of reducing the variables I thought I'd concentrate on a simple recipe like the ESB described in Brewing Classic Styles - base malt, crystal, Goldings and that's it. Before I brew one of these, I'd like to make sure I like it so I was wondering what commercial brews would be in the ballpark for a recipe like this. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris
Fullers esb is pale, crystal and ekg from memory but I'm guessing from your post you're already familiar with it.

Doesn't matter - just drink more of it.

cpsmusic said:
Snip

Cheers,

Chris
Chris
I hope I'm not misunderstanding but 2/3 malts and 1-2 hops is very common in some of the most renowned beers in the world. Its a misunderstanding among home brewers that you need a cart load of different ingredients (very American view of brewing)
There are no big secrets or any need for anything complicated, the recipe from Brew Classic Styles is fine, If you want from the brewery recipes, have a look at some of the books by Graham Wheeler, he really does nail all the Pommy beers you have sighted.

I would be disinclined to jump from Over-Sparging to No-Sparging, sparging can be very good brewing practice, get the basics right: -
How much water you mash in and sparge with (as a beginner 3.75:1 Water to Grain (L:G) is about half for mash in and half for sparging)
Get your temperatures right (a good thermometer is a must) sparge water at 80oC or a little less
For the style 90 minute mash 90 minute boil is a big advantage
Make sure you do some basic water chemistry to your sparge water - it MUST NOT be alkaline.
Sparge slowly, should take 45 minutes minimum can take 90 minutes if you are being rigorous but 45-60 is a good compromise
Spend the little extra and use all UK malt - they really do suit the style of beer you want to make.
Mark

MHB said:
Chris
I hope I'm not misunderstanding but 2/3 malts and 1-2 hops is very common in some of the most renowned beers in the world. Its a misunderstanding among home brewers that you need a cart load of different ingredients (very American view of brewing)
There are no big secrets or any need for anything complicated, the recipe from Brew Classic Styles is fine, If you want from the brewery recipes, have a look at some of the books by Graham Wheeler, he really does nail all the Pommy beers you have sighted.

I would be disinclined to jump from Over-Sparging to No-Sparging, sparging can be very good brewing practice, get the basics right: -
How much water you mash in and sparge with (as a beginner 3.75:1 Water to Grain (L:G) is about half for mash in and half for sparging)
Get your temperatures right (a good thermometer is a must) sparge water at 80oC or a little less
Make sure you do some basic water chemistry to your sparge water - it MUST NOT be alkaline.
Sparge slowly, should take 45 minutes minimum can take 90 minutes if you are being rigorous but 45-60 is a good compromise
Spend the little extra and use all UK malt - they really do suit the style of beer you want to make.
Mark
Not much more to say really. Except maybe, make sure you cask it and don’t be tempted to keg and ruin it. :)

For a more malt forward UK style, add a touch of Calcium Chloride to the mash, and definitely use all-UK malts. I find that a good base malt such as Pearl or Simpson Marris Otter plus just a couple of spec malts (as MHB says) such as Caraaroma plus another Crystal is perfect.

I did the tour of the Fullers Brewery 2 years ago whilst holidaying in London. Being a home Brewer I was full of questions and the tour guide was more than helpful with the answers.

So their ESB is Marris otter and crystal, and the hops are target, challenger and northdown" and I think from memory he may have mentioned EKG but I can't quite recall.

One important thing I think is the yeast, for the real English malty taste I reckon use wyeast London ESB or whitelabs English ale yeast.

Just my two cents mate. I am a huge fan of the Fullers ESB, and their London Pride for that matter. Off of the hand pump they are sensational!

manticle said:
Fullers esb is pale, crystal and ekg from memory but I'm guessing from your post you're already familiar with it.

Doesn't matter - just drink more of it.
Doing my best :chug:

MHB said:
Mark
The main reason I want to try no-sparge is so I'm sure that's what the problem is.

Latest posts

Back