Brewing books

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricky Dicky

Reaction score
Any recommendations for books for someone like myself who is not an absolute beginner but still has heaps to learn. I have a small BIAB +DME set up.

Any recommendations for books for someone like myself who is not an absolute beginner but still has heaps to learn. I have a small BIAB +DME set up.
To be honest with you these days I'd just jump on YouTube and watch as many brewing videos as possible especially as the brewer will often show and explain any mistakes they made during the brew. A little later it'll become clear what areas you want to learn more about first and there are a lot of books these day's that cater to a specific topic in great depth that you may prefer to buy over a generic brewing book. Having said you wont go wrong with Gibbo411's advice above.

I have a book call Brew by James Morton which I have found to be a brilliant book for newbies and a great reference book. I'd read favorable reviews on Making Better Beer so I'll look into that. Thanks guys.

How to Brew is the book I pull out most often to look something up. Radical Brewing is my current favourite. Brew Like a Monk and Farmhouse Ales are great books if you like those styles.

Another vote for How to Brew.

Beyond that check out the rest of the range offered by Brewers Publications. Have also heard Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian and it's follow up are great books. Have not read all of these but Charlie P and Brewers Publications are well respected.

BYO and Zymurgy magazines are also great for shorter targeted articles. BYO's digital subscription is a great value as it gives you access to it's archives as well.

Cheers

"Home Brew Beer" by Greg Hughes. The Brewtubers call it, "The Bible". Full of interesting reference stuff, but best of all, page after page of delicious, easy to follow, uncomplicated recipes.

I had mine sent from the UK a few years ago but it is widely available now. Costs around $28 if you look around.

Attachments

• HBB.jpg
    HBB.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 97
Reading golfandbrew's post reminds me, I was in New York recently and coming out of the apartment there were a load of books put out for recycling one of those books was The Complete Joy of Home Brewing, it is a 1980's book in pretty good nick anyone wants it, I will post it out.

I have a book call Brew by James Morton which I have found to be a brilliant book for newbies and a great reference book.
I've got this book too and can highly recommend it, the others have also covered it off the others pretty good too (I have Hot to Brew as well a couple others)!

I went to Powell Books in Portland recently and picked up a copy of The Big Book of Clone Recipes which looks to have some cracker recipes in it from all across the US..

Reading golfandbrew's post reminds me, I was in New York recently and coming out of the apartment there were a load of books put out for recycling one of those books was The Complete Joy of Home Brewing, it is a 1980's book in pretty good nick anyone wants it, I will post it out.
If you've still got it I'd be interested!

thanks mate, yes same address,much appreciated,let me know how much the postage is.The Teskeys seem to be spending a lot of time in the states this year, not sure when they are back in Melbourne but I'll have to make a point of seeing them.

Back