Brewing A Fat Yak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I bought a bottle to compare the colour.
And so the results are in. And they are... my memory is shit.

img0723c.jpg

The one on the right is mine. Still in primary at 18C so it is obviously more cloudy. I actually think it has gone a bit more orange since last week (which is good).
The one on the left is a true Fat Yak. Pretty damn close.

So I shall leave this brew alone and let it finish as is.
Primary is just about done, will crash chill and dry hop in a few days.

OK All,
Before anyone screams do a search, I tried here Pages and pages of results

What is the latest thinking on a Fat Yak clone. My wife and I went out last night and had a couple of FY's off tap in Newtown and they were good, really good.

I want to clone it, but there are some seriously wide specs in any of the clone brews on here. EBC on some clones is 8 while others are around 20! I'm not confusing EBC with SRM, its straight off their recipes.

So, whats the latest? Who has the best clone on here? The recipe database doesnt have much in the way of ratings on any of the clone brews I could find.

From my own tastings last night, there was a nice balance of malt and hops, leaning to the hops. Hops were fruity, probably Cascade and something, but it really didnt taste like Nelson Sauvin to me. None of that Sauvignon Blanc after taste that NS gives. May have been dominated by the cascade and/or crystal malt? My first taste and I thought Simcoe, but then it didnt seem ballsy enough.

Anyway, if there's the 'winner' clone here, please let me in the loop !

mckenry

The recipe "Fatter Yak" in the recipe DB is great place to start. I no chill and for 23L use the following.

Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.01 %
Colour (SRM): 7.3 (EBC): 14.3
Bitterness (IBU): 37.6 (Rager - No Chill Adjusted)

80% Pale Ale Malt
9% Carapils (Dextrine)
9% Munich I
2% Crystal 120

0.4 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 67C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18C with Safale US-05

The 30Min additions are actually Cube Hops, the 0 dry hopped at 4 days and I adjust the 60min addition to alter the bitterness to where I want it (I prefer a touch my balance). My last attempt was a bit to heavy on the cascade flavour to be honest, and was also a touch low on the bitterness so I'd probably try upping the Nelson in the cube a bit more to balance it out.

Colour wise it's pretty spot on, maybe even a touch too dark.

The recipe "Fatter Yak" in the recipe DB is great place to start. I no chill and for 23L use the following.

The 30Min additions are actually Cube Hops, the 0 dry hopped at 4 days and I adjust the 60min addition to alter the bitterness to where I want it (I prefer a touch my balance). My last attempt was a bit to heavy on the cascade flavour to be honest, and was also a touch low on the bitterness so I'd probably try upping the Nelson in the cube a bit more to balance it out.

Colour wise it's pretty spot on, maybe even a touch too dark.

Hi GuyQLD - yep saw that one. I am surprised the colour is spot on - looks a bit light to me? Matilda Bay have said that the IBU is 26 (or maybe it was 24) so when you say you were a touch low on the bitterness, do you mean as per the recipe above? i.e. you were under 37 or you think 37 was too low to be a FY clone?

I did the fatter yak yesterday (no chill) only I used bravo instead of the NS. It,s going onto yeast today.

Smelt and tasted pretty good out of the boiler.

Hmm, the fatter yak recipe is slightly maltier so it can support a slightly higher IBU - keeping in mind that the 37 I've got on there isn't particularly accurate. Cube hopping is a bit of an unknown variable. I use those values to give estimates.. but you'd have to give it a go or two on your gear to know for sure.

I don't know if you'd be able to get the same as a proper fat yak with no chill. The two hops used are fairly high AA% and trying to get the flavour and aroma without going over 27 IBU would be hard... I guess you could try only cube hop.. no idea what it would look like though (OR let it stand for 20mins for cubing.. get it closer to 80 degrees and that'll significantly change it.

The real IBU in mine is probably closer to 32ish, but that's completely anecdotal.

The grain bill is a real winner though.

Hmm, the fatter yak recipe is slightly maltier so it can support a slightly higher IBU - keeping in mind that the 37 I've got on there isn't particularly accurate. Cube hopping is a bit of an unknown variable. I use those values to give estimates.. but you'd have to give it a go or two on your gear to know for sure.

I don't know if you'd be able to get the same as a proper fat yak with no chill. The two hops used are fairly high AA% and trying to get the flavour and aroma without going over 27 IBU would be hard... I guess you could try only cube hop.. no idea what it would look like though (OR let it stand for 20mins for cubing.. get it closer to 80 degrees and that'll significantly change it.

The real IBU in mine is probably closer to 32ish, but that's completely anecdotal.

I have been told a nice easy way to get your late additions into a cubed No chill by some experienced no chillers.
Just do your bittering additions, then cube the beer.
Before your are going to pitch it put the cube in the fridge, or ice bath till its really cold.
Then take about 2 litres or so from the chilled wort and boil it on the stove.
Use this as a mini boil to do your 20, 15, 10, 5,1 and flame out additions as you wish.
Pour the cold cube into a prepped fermenter then pour the boiling wort with the late additions straight on top for an instant chill.
The temps should balance out, I usually get between 13 deg C and 16 deg C which is good for pitching cold yeast from the fridge. You can match the temps perfect with the yeast just wait till they warm up or cool them down to match, or boil more or less wort, its not super difficult.
You can do away with cube hopping, you wont denature your hop aroma at all and its super easy to nail your IBU.
I hope this helps with getting a perfect Fat Yak with NC

Cheers - as usual, it really comes down to having a play yourself, not WITH yourself.
I have a 3V herms and a 30 plate chiller, so dont have to worry about how many IBU's are in cube hopping, or late hopping when no chilling etc. Even though I rapid chill, I used to no chill and dont really notice any difference....

As for the grain bill - probably a good start.

Still, I'd like to clone it, not make a beer that is better/hoppier/maltier than what the original is. Cloning is a tough test, designing great beers, whilst great, is not as hard as cloning.

Thats why my question is pretty much aimed at "what is the best Fat Yak clone out there?" not "what is the best APA based on Fat Yak?" Slightly different, but so am I....

Just as Tony's LCBA is regarded as THE clone, even though the recipe DB has plenty of other LCBA attempts.

But, GuyQLD, you have given me food for thought, AND, most importantly, conclusions based on experience, so thanks, definitely something to work with. Any further thoughts on colour?

mckenry

I've still got a bottle around here somewhere. In the name of science I could perhaps be persuaded to do a side by side. Need to head to dans though, haven't got any of the original at the moment. How soon are you looking at brewing? I've got a 3 day brew/lan this weekend so I'm sure we can find time.

I know last time I had it on tap it was darker than I remembered and the fatter yak came in pretty close. I'll see what I can do.

I've still got a bottle around here somewhere. In the name of science I could perhaps be persuaded to do a side by side. Need to head to dans though, haven't got any of the original at the moment. How soon are you looking at brewing? I've got a 3 day brew/lan this weekend so I'm sure we can find time.

I know last time I had it on tap it was darker than I remembered and the fatter yak came in pretty close. I'll see what I can do.

Great idea. I wont be brewing til weekend after this, so you have about 5 days til I buy grain & hops.
Thanks GuyQLD. Some piccies would be good too.

mckenry

I have been told a nice easy way to get your late additions into a cubed No chill by some experienced no chillers.
Just do your bittering additions, then cube the beer.
Before your are going to pitch it put the cube in the fridge, or ice bath till its really cold.
Then take about 2 litres or so from the chilled wort and boil it on the stove.
Use this as a mini boil to do your 20, 15, 10, 5,1 and flame out additions as you wish.
Pour the cold cube into a prepped fermenter then pour the boiling wort with the late additions straight on top for an instant chill.
The temps should balance out, I usually get between 13 deg C and 16 deg C which is good for pitching cold yeast from the fridge. You can match the temps perfect with the yeast just wait till they warm up or cool them down to match, or boil more or less wort, its not super difficult.
You can do away with cube hopping, you wont denature your hop aroma at all and its super easy to nail your IBU.
I hope this helps with getting a perfect Fat Yak with NC

Byran describes Argon's method for late hopping with NC (sadly the big man doesn't post any more).

Another good method which uses less power is to do a "reverse Argon" - don't completely chill the entire cube, just get it to pitching temp, but boil the 2L of reserved wort as described. Then after the hop boil, chill THAT to pitching temp which should only take a few mins in the freezer, then pour into the bulk wort and then pitch.

My recipe ended up being (for no chill):

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.638
Total Hops (g): 90.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.055 (P): 13.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.40 %
Colour (SRM): 7.6 (EBC): 14.9
Bitterness (IBU): 24.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill
----------------
3.710 kg Ale Malt (BB) (80%)
0.464 kg Munich I (10%)
0.232 kg Caramunich I (5%)
0.232 kg Wheat Malt (BB) (5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 40 Minutes
20.0 g Cascade Pellet (5.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
20.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
20.0 g Cascade Pellet (5.6% Alpha) @ Cube
20.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ Cube

Misc Bill
----------------
1.3 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
2.5 g Yeast Nutrient @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

55C rest for 10 mins, then 66C for 60 mins, then mash out.

Fermented at 18C with Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

As you can see above, the colour came pretty close.

My recipe ended up being (for no chill):

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.638
Total Hops (g): 90.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.055 (P): 13.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.40 %
Colour (SRM): 7.6 (EBC): 14.9
Bitterness (IBU): 24.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill
----------------
3.710 kg Ale Malt (BB) (80%)
0.464 kg Munich I (10%)
0.232 kg Caramunich I (5%)
0.232 kg Wheat Malt (BB) (5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 40 Minutes
20.0 g Cascade Pellet (5.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
20.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
20.0 g Cascade Pellet (5.6% Alpha) @ Cube
20.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (11.3% Alpha) @ Cube

Misc Bill
----------------
1.3 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
2.5 g Yeast Nutrient @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

55C rest for 10 mins, then 66C for 60 mins, then mash out.

Fermented at 18C with Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II

As you can see above, the colour came pretty close.

Looks like a good one too.

i thought the grain bill was a bit too malty too until i had a few pints of 'fat yak' from a freshly tapped keg in Portland early last year and was actually really suprised at how close it was to what i had on tap at home (as the recipe is in the DB but with weyermann malts)
it actually made me smile :)

id say the grain bill is pretty well on the money, especially if you scaled back the gravity for a proper clone
real deal is 4.7%, not sure what the FG really is since i havent taken a hydro to the real yak but id guess OG 1.045 - FG 1.010, thats 77% apparent attenuation which is about right for US-05 which they probably use

i probably wouldnt try to clone what you get in the bottles, its almost like a completely different beer
i dont know why but the nice malty backbone seems really stripped out in the bottles

Latest posts

Back