Brewhouse Updates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I popped in last week on the Tuesday around lunch time and had a couple of pint of the Scottish... Very nice indeed!

Cheers :beer:

The Scottish is very tasty indeed! In fact, I'm thinking of heading in now for one or three!

Dropped in on Sat night while the fireworks and planes were whizzing around.

Had a so-so BPA (seemed a bit flat) and a much nicer D/bock, then saw the LC Stout on the list.

$8/pint which is pretty good ... except it wasn't actually on yet, barman got me a pint bottle from their bottlo (tho' charged me $9 for it).

... won't be rushing to try it on tap, or to buy any more in bottles. Just an ordinary stout IMHO.

Sounds like I should've tried the Scottish - I was tempted but didn't have time.

I noticed the BPA seems to fluctuate and vary in taste and hoppiness from visit to visit. I tend to get a Schwarz to start anymore as it's quite consistant. If I'm up for 3 pints in a Brewhouse session, it goes Schrarz, Scottish, Dopplebock. Still have the BPA if I'm just flying by for one & have other business in the city.

I noticed the BPA seems to fluctuate and vary in taste and hoppiness from visit to visit. I tend to get a Schwarz to start anymore as it's quite consistant. If I'm up for 3 pints in a Brewhouse session, it goes Schrarz, Scottish, Dopplebock. Still have the BPA if I'm just flying by for one & have other business in the city.

I did have trouble with one of the batches, I stupidly, and at the last minute sourced yeast from a nearby HB shop instead of Rosco, I was assured it was US05. I am now quite sure it wasn't. gravity ended up way to high, and consequently perceived bitterness was low.

The dry hops were also so-so, I wasn't happy with them, but the bean-counters wouldn't let me throw them away <_<
The batch on tap now, and the upcoming new batch are both lovely and hoppy. I don't foresee any issues with the BPA in the future.
It tastes even better straight off the dry-hops.

I am surprised at how many people are loving the Scottish! It has peated-malt in it! Not complaining mind, drink up! That way I might get to brew a Tripel.

Cheers, Brendan

Oh, and I don't know why the pale ale would be flat... I'll look into it, thanks.

Brendan, just letting you know on Saturday after lunch I am bringing some of the people from my monthly tasting group. Its our first 'on premises' event and I'm very much looking forward to seeing them enjoy some locally made beers. The only one I haven't had is the Scottish and given my enjoyment of the BrewBoys effort 'seeing double' I think I will be pleased!
Really hope you get to make that tripel. Its close to my fav style.

Cheers
Ebo

I won't be in, I'm Judging at the QABCs
Good luck, hope you enjoy the beers.

Had a pot of BPA on the lunch steak special, and it did taste different. Much more citrusy flavour. Still a bit different than the forst ones I had after the re-opening.

So the beer menu has 'Texas Walker' Pale on the 'coming soon' list. Is this theold 'Engine' ? For some reason I read 'Texas Walker' and I see Chuck Norris doing a roundhouse kick to my head. :D

Oh yeah, the Schwarz & the Scottish tasted great today too!

It is the former Engine, that's the idea, the logo for walker is a fist punching through a sheriff's badge.

Cool! Should be good! I have to say I've taken a liking to the Schwarz! A pint inbound to the city is tops!

I have to say that the Taffinator Dopplebock has to be about the best beer deal in the city. $7 for a pint of this lovely 7.2% brew is right on!

Cool! Should be good! I have to say I've taken a liking to the Schwarz! A pint inbound to the city is tops!

I have to say that the Taffinator Dopplebock has to be about the best beer deal in the city. $7 for a pint of this lovely 7.2% brew is right on!

The bock has proven itself as a man-killer, many good people have been undone, just as predicted.

Met a few mates in there today after work (again), have to say I'm finding it hard to go past the scottish. Nice beer, even the non beer nerds in my circle of friends are getting into it. If only the group behind us could go past goldies and the golden microphone.

Your Midnight Stout is quite good!

So is the stout going to replace the Dopplebock? Or will another megabrew tap be converted?

It will probably knock the schwarzbier off, sorry... make your complaints heard at the pub, I had nothing to do with it!

I did. Said I would be in for Schwarz a couple times a week.

I don;t know if it's just me and my tastebuds, but the BPA tasted like lemon juice last Saturday.

That doesn't sound good! have you had the same problem before?

the pale ale is a little tart, but that's to make it more refreshing (there isn't any lime and salt in it)

Latest posts

Back